The Corroboree

Looking at that PC that blew the lid, it seems like it's a very old design without a failsafe blow plug. They don't make them like that anymore anywhere in the world. That used to happen because people cooked grains and beans in them and/or overfilled them causing the vent tube to become blocked. It just wouldn't happen with most mycology work if the PC wass operated properly.

Modern PC's have to have a secondary relief valve as a failsafe, so even if some halfwit cooks grains or something that can block the vent tube, the secondary relief valve will blow and prevent an explosion. Some grandmas were known to sit weights in the poppet to "stop the steam getting out" thinking the PC wasn't working if steam was coming out back in the day too.

These days modern PC's are idoit proof.

But alas - if you engineer something to be idiot proof the universe will respond with a superior breed of idiot every time.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 2

H'sheetz, first time I ever used a PC this Is how I imagined it would turn out, especially when your not sure how much the 'jiggle' should be 'jiggling' with all the rocking and spitting going on! Even on the old models there is a safety plug, luckily I replaced the safety plug & sealing ring with a new one (this was an old NAMCO model) parts readily available from online stockists.

You won't regret buying a Hawkins, YM.

They are built to last and are a trusted brand that have been around since the 1950's.

I've had a 'Big Boy' for about 10 years now. It is rated at 15 psi and has worked flawlessly during that time.

I purchased mine from the Pressure Cooker Centre.

www.pressurecooker.com.au

Edited by Peyofox
  • Like 1

Got an old pressure cooker in the house and there isn't a setting for it or a gauge from what I can tell. How can I use this accurately or should I jsut up the temperature and cook for longer?

The All American Pressure Cookers are awesome; they work very well, are easy to use, and never fail.

Ideally you just want one with the knob-type pressure controllers, which are superior to the rocker type. ALWAYS use one with a gauge, these are very necessary.

I actually used a cheaper one, just a decent sized Presto with the rocker... it works well in all my experiences and it was around $75 shipped on Amazon. Though from what I've read the rocker types allow air exchange as the pot cools down, exposing the insides to open air which may be detrimental in some situations. Since I would seal all my bags and jars before pressure cooking, this wasn't an issue for me. But if I knew that the rocker types were inferior for this reason, I would've bought an All American or other knob type PC.

I hope this makes sense, I can try to explain it better if necessary.

And by the way, as others have said, the modern pressure cookers are very idiot proof. I don't think you could even take the lids off under pressure if you tried (though don't test me). And they have extra valves to pop.

Edited by Derkshaman