The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-RC-

Nascent Iodine

Anyone have any knowledge of/experiences taking this stuff as a supplement. Apparently a very common deficiency in the West. :huh:

I'm interested in it specifically for thyroid and endocrine function.

This product looks decent, but would like to hear from those in the know: :wink:

http://shop.gapsaustralia.com.au/detoxadine-29-6ml-45-stronger/

Cheers.

I think the makers of that product are much more interested in making money than making people healthy.

Just something to keep in mind.

• Individuals who have thyroid and/or cardiovascular problems or are on any medications should consult a physician before using Detoxadine® transformative nano-colloidal iodine matrix.
  • Side effects and/or contraindications, if any, would generally be the same as that listed for any other supplemental use and/or topical use based iodine matrix preparation.

I love how indepth they get with their side affects.

• Like 2

^ I do not trust this man :huh::wink:

iodised salt?

dunno about around the country, but most commercial breads have additional iodine

in them down here due to soil deficiencies.

Edited by waterboy 2.0

The "nascent" bit sounds like quackery. I'd just try iodine-rich foods - iodised or Himalayan pink salt, seaweed & seafood are all meant to be good sources I think. Unless you have some serious deficiency or something, I reckon it's usually better to try adjusting your diet a little to address health problems, rather than attempting to balance a whole bunch of supplements. Food as medicine. Tastes better too. :lol:

• Like 3

Yeah, I suppose my interest is more from a detoxification/supportive perspective.

My diet is certainly not an issue, but I avoid most seafood due to heavy metal accumulation and the lack of a real capacity for organic certification, outside of farming. I say most as my old man is THE fisherman and annually stocks me up with finger mark, coral trout, red throat, barra and blackfish he catches himself.

With the potential of chlorine and flouride to actually inhibit the function of the thyroid, and endocrine system en masse I suppose, I'm kind of looking at shit like this as a way to chellate some from that specific organ, whilst providing it with a therapeutic dose of an essential substance.

Fuck sake thats expensive!

The RDA for iodine is 150µg per diem for adults, that translates to just about 200µg of potassium iodide.

I got a lifetime supply from a chem supplier on sale for $3, bring on peak oil baby- I'm set! :lol:

Since the stuff is so godawful potent I make mine into measured solutions preserved with salt. One bottle is 14% salt and enough KI so 1/4 teaspoon is a days supply and another bottle is 14% salt and a days KI in one tablespoon, which I dilute to 1 cup and drink on days I expect to be sweating a lot of salt out.

Just 5 grams of KI will last an adult 68.5 years

Kelp has a wildly variable iodine content, routinely varying 100 fold in potency.

Iodized salt just doesnt have enough unless you consume too much table salt.

Commercial products with salt in use non-iodized salt.

Do not trust any supplement/vitamin products from the USA. We are notoriously unregulated and random in supplement dosage accuracy. There have even been cases of vitamin D being sold which accidentally contained 10,000,000 units per capsule, and the iodine content of kelp pills has never been regulated here.

• Like 4

Avoiding eating too much PUFA can help with thyroid and endocrine function too.

PUFA's have been been used by the livestock industry to fatten up cattle and pigs etc. In the fifties agronomists were looking for ways to increase conversion rates - feed (or $) in to meat out ratios. Some of their earlier work focused on using thyroid suppressing chems to inhibit function and weight gain was the result in the animals but they started showing high cancer rates. So researchers looked into other cheap ways to inhibit thyroid function.

They found that elevated levels of PUFA's suppress thyroid function and make the animals gain weight at much lower feed input ratios. That's why animal feed contains corn and soy oil when they get to the feed yard.

I get my iodine from foods like bone broth, organ meats, butter and eggs etc.

• Like 2