The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Philocacti

Eulychnia castane

I believe this needs it's own thread.

I only got this grafted upside down stump early this season. It had a spiral pup on it.

I grafted this pup but it failed and I cut the grafted stump in half and grafted it.

The original graft has a crested pup, while the other half I grafted has 2 disc-shaped pups and a monstrose pup and 4 other unknown pups cuz they're to small.

The original plant I received

post-6382-0-60074900-1434733408_thumb.jp

The crested pup on the original graft

post-6382-0-92747500-1434733780_thumb.jp

The other graft

post-6382-0-71871700-1434733839_thumb.jp

I know mutant has amazing specimen of it as well. I hope he shares some pictures too.

post-6382-0-60074900-1434733408_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-92747500-1434733780_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-71871700-1434733839_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-60074900-1434733408_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-92747500-1434733780_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-71871700-1434733839_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

^This is one on top of my list for adoption. very nice specimen Philo

I use to have a plant of this that pupped a crest, sadly died :( love these for the fact that nearly every pup is something different :)

Upside I got it by pure coincidence, in Thailand, no nursery wanted to sell me a cutting. I guess they'll be more common these coming years.

Sabry. That's why I try to make multiple grafts of any new cactus I find valuable and hard to find ;)

Some mad pupping and fast growth on this graft

post-6382-0-62518200-1435125244_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-62518200-1435125244_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-62518200-1435125244_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hey this beauty sure deserves its own thread. And its price I might add.

Awesome grafts Philo, very cool you got multiple pups!

this cactusart page is also essential

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/EULYCHNIA/Eulychnia_castanea/Eulychnia_castanea_varispiralis_cristata/Eulychnia_castanea_varispiralis_cristata.htm

I have 2 specimens , one bought as crest and one as a double spiralis.. but the latter was in the GH disasters and

...long story short, my cacti now have 3 growing points each, and each seems to be doing its own thing.. regular columns might be grafted to propagate and encourage the growth of more rare formations.. I did 2 grafts, but the upside-down one didn't make it while it had taken.. Also the successful disc-shaped graft I did started to turn to regular after growing on the graft, and eventually terminated (not sure why) and stalled a bit due to pupping from the stock.

my spiralis tip today

P1130620.jpg

will provide more photos later

• Like 5

Beautiful as always my friend.

How much do these cost?

I gave a guy, who owns a cactus nursery a tbm A pup and a bridgesii crest. And a week later he gifted me this graft and an Aztekium graft. ;)

• Like 1

As in all specialty cactus sales, it all depends on size and beauty and scarring and rarity of the formation... spiralis and crests are sold more expensive ..

this is eacily the most interesting monster cacti of them all... in my humble opinion

I havent seen those sold under 30 euros per rooted specimen, and I think I paid 45 euros for my double spiral specimen (well that was indeed a special specimen, too bad it got chopped off during the GH disaster of mine)... anyways I recently got a better deal off ebay for 6 regular monster columns for some 20 euros each... we will see what they can give.... so if you find them cheap , get them mate!

In fact this whole thread got my hands and all itching for another attempt of grafting, now that I have a variety of stocks available and the target itself is actively growing.. I do have a regular growing part taking energy off my crest, and was thinking of getting rid of it.

now, that how much they cost...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J47-EULYCHNIA-CASTANEA-SPIRALIS-H-19-5-4-/381301650264?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58c7597358

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGE-Eulychnia-castanea-spiralis-cm25-own-roots-no-aztekium-valdezii-HH6-/311383653130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item487fe97b0a

they are not easily/quickly produced , I suppose, so they're quite rarely offered as well...

Edited by mutant

At one gardening fair this year, every cactus stand had several castanea monstrose specimens, 15 cm tall rooted spiralis were going for about 8 euro each. Large rooted TBM crests for 20. Monsters were kinda the theme this year apparently, never seen them sold there before.

Wow, I want to go to that gardening fair!

• Like 2

yeah thats cheap...

• Like 1

Visit Italy then. ;)

Lots of gardening and cactus fairs, very low prices for most plants. Every year is a different 'theme' at thos particular one, this year that was monstrose forms, personally I was not happy about that. Pachanoi crests, boob myrtles, lophocereus, castanea, tbms and such 'common' monsters, all for under 10 euro. I managed to find a huge Lobivia fallax for 5E amongst the freaks, was very happy about that. :)

my bad ass tried to import a crested plant, sadly they got it.

its either looking very nice in someones garden or they destroyed it :(

• Like 1

Italy does seem to have some of the most interesting cactus pop up on eBay. And as said before , some go for a real bargain. I really look forward to when Oz gardeners start spreading them around. Hopefully not just hold onto them creating a hard to obtain expensive market.

Defly on top of my list.

• Like 1

my bad ass tried to import a crested plant, sadly they got it.

its either looking very nice in someones garden or they destroyed it :(

Kudos for having a go Pimento. I do hope it's in someone's garden rather than being destroyed. And you happen to stumble upon it one day and reclaim ;)

I attempted to graft the top of mine but it failed its now taken about a year to pup
theyre very very slow growing

• Like 1

yeah they're very slow growing... I will be able to make a comparison with the regular monster this year..

Berengar, I might just do this some time... combine pleasure with busines... but I do have to find some appropriate city with nice nurseries near to ports to greece...

• Like 1

why say so?? its a crest alright and a beauty! yr project was super succesful!

remember we have to grow these fuckers long enough to tell their habits.

I cut a branch that is dividing and and will try to root... this cactus forms, seemingly a weak root system..

• Like 2

It looks to me it's some sort of monstrose growth that was trying to crest but turned into 3 growing tip ;)

post-6382-0-12115600-1439139150_thumb.jp

I never tried to root it. But I gave to 10 cm monstrose pups to 2 friends and they're trying to root it. The plan was to grow them for a bit then graft the growing tips.

post-6382-0-12115600-1439139150_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-12115600-1439139150_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

my crest eventually did the same thing: made 3 growing points, one is still crest though,....