The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Anodyne

Tool ID - weeding with Batman

I'm trying to remember what this tool was called... It was shown to me years ago by a mate who was doing cotton chipping (i.e. hacking the weeds out from between rows of cotton bushes with a long hoe) - the thing looked a bit like this from memory, only with a long handle, maybe with the side-blades a bit more hooked?

041106039-06_xlg.jpg?itok=dNgb5Kk6

I don't know if it was specifically designed for cotton-chippin' - it might've been? I'm pretty sure it was designed by an Australian company at least, and I think it might've had some cute trademark name related to the shape???

I really need a decent long-handled hoe-like tool for chipping out weeds from a standing position, and while I do like the two-sided ones which have blade/fork or blade/spike or what-have-you, the Batman tool had even more useful shapes because you could use the front too, so you had like a front pushing-blade & two side blades & cutting hook bits, all on the one tool...

It's probably not nearly as cool as I remember, but I'd like to track them down anyway if anyone can help. Thanks!

Get a broom handle and go to town in your own design! Down at the community farm they used everything from knives to L brackets to weed on the end of a broom lol

Edit yeh I getcha, rad nameless tool!

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d
  • Like 1

Yeah I think I probably will (shipping on long items is hideous), but I wanted to find the original so even if they weren't still making them I could copy their design.

Edit: just look at it, perfect bat-tool, weeds wouldn't stand a chance!

18133662.jpg

Edited by Anodyne

I do most of my hoe work in a forward motion...lol

Sorry for the crap image, but you'll get the idea.

This one is crafted out of stainless steel.....good for lazy or the easily distracted that leave tools outside.

has blades ground into the three sides, and the neck provides a perfect angle for standing up.

You can work for longer I've found pushing rather than chipping back.

I am thinking of the green and yellow tools Anodyne, maybe cyclone brand?

post-8169-0-31456800-1434713379_thumb.jp

IMG_20150619_211139.jpg

IMG_20150619_211139.jpg

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

I might be misinterpreting that picture, but it kinda looks like a ground-down golf club? (now if there was ever a tool for chipping out plants...) hold on.. found a sales pic, and then this other one which is more like what I remembered, similar design really - just extending on both sides

Pointed-Push-Hoe-20-cm-Sneeboer-img-1192

Yep, push-hoe action for sure (I know, I can't type "hoe" without smirking either) but no, can't find anything suitable by cyclone - I had a feeling the specific tool I'm thinking of was a one-off from a small Aussie company.

Found something like it at least, so I know I wasn't entirely imagining the existence of such a thing! (which I had begun to wonder), but it'd be nice to find a local version so I don't have to grind my own, lol. Pic shows some of that hooker hoe action (don't try that as a search string hey, it does not give garden-relevant results), excellent for snagging nasty thorny/tangly shit like blackberries.

product_350stealthweederhoe.jpg?width=35

• Like 1