The Corroboree
love is a stream

Legality of Acacia confusa root bark NSW

Hi all, I came across some listings on ebay and gumtree for locally sold, powdered Acacia confusa root bark and I'm wondering if anybody has information on the legality of purchasing & selling this? I've searched for information and it is hard to come by.

Thanks in advance.

Hello there love is a stream!

I too have come across these listings. My understanding is that the merchent would be marketing their product for use as a dye as a lot of plant materials are sold for this reason.

Although they are walking a fine line with the law themselves being australian based, I've noticed quite a number exclusively selling products that contain scheduled substances.

Although I await the day I show up for charges on possession of mimosa bark and syrian rue seed, only to show up to court in a uv reflecive purple suit.

IMO regardless of the end use its just not worth the risk or the drama of being found in possession of these things, your better of growing these plants to avoid accusations.

We may be able to summon torsten or another more savy member to shine some light on the matter.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Hello and thanks for your help, I assumed as much though it's a wonder these listings haven't been taken down as they mention 'high yields', alkaloid content etc only to have a 'not for human consumption' disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

Probably a sting operation.

You buy the stuff, they give you a week or so then turn up on your doorstep to try to catch you "in flagrante alchemica"...

• Like 2

"in flagrante alchemica"...

+1 lol,gold

the way mister Tee always explained it was that ten grams of bark can be treated in court as ten grams of product eg equivalent to ten grams of heroin.

i've never heard of any precedent for this but it's still early days for this relatively unknown compound.

possession of bark carries the risk of prosecution, and that prosecution may potentially lead to an unreasonable punishment.

remember that guy reptyle who got arrested blazing changa at parliament with a sackload of bark chips, or something to that effect? i think he was eventually banned from the forum.

which reminds me of the guy who staged the protest where he was tripping chained to a public thing or something. what was his name? i wonder how his movement is going.

there's one other man on a mission whose progress i wonder about. it was fairly recent, that guy who was going to live in the woods and send us updates from his iPad. the fact of his absence leads me to believe he was either very successful (lost interest in maintaining an internet presence) or very unsuccessful (dead, injured, or just went crawling back to city living and didn't want to announce the failure).

edit: found him. riley http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37648&page=9

now known as https://psychaesthetic.com/

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

which reminds me of the guy who staged the protest where he was tripping chained to a public thing or something. what was his name? i wonder how his movement is going.

you mean greg kasarik?

• Like 1

last i heard of riley he was leaving food out for rats and perving on naked backpackers :wink:

• Like 1

Are there any other acacias you can use for dye? Reading up on the red dye from a. Confusa got me interested, but i thought it was questionable when i first saw the ebay listings.

seems to be more than one vendor in aus, and heaps more from OS. Getting the package from withjn australia should be fine unless it is a sting and they catch your dojng something silly.

Hypoteticlly, lets say it was a sting operation, and when they rocked up you had a big pot or reddish watery muck and a bunch of funky naturally tie dyed tshirts... would you be in a better position form a legal standpoint?

or would there still be actives in the mush?... which would then bet wet and no doubt weigh more increasing the severity of charges... or even upping the to production as you were engaged in an 'extraction'...

Or, to out it another way, purely hypothetically, could you do a hot water wash to extract the tannis or whatever it is that dye stuff red, then go ahead with whatever the chemical process is that isolates the alkaloids.

In all seriousness though, it would be entrapment if you were busted. More likely for the seller to be in hot water I would think.

As far as I knew Australia dosent have laws against entrapment. Thats just the states... my thoughts have always been that if you come to the attention of the police and they decide they want to find somethjng to get you with, they will eventually, so if it was a sting type operation, even if you got off on a technicaliy,they would find something eventually.

Best off avoiding attention :D

• Like 1

yep

V

Edited by LokStok

The listings all say its sourced from Hawaii where its a weed species and gets logged for timber and firewood. There are a lot of vendors selling this, and trunk bark... seems to be an industry; personally i think people buying this would be bettrr than our natives getting harvested, legalitits aside.

so they're either importing it (wouldn't they run into troubles with quarantine, let alone if customs got wind of it..) or selling a happy lie.

Quarantine just heat treats plant matter coming into Australia. Last time I checked it was $42.50. As if it would be sent as Acacia Confusa root bark into Australia anyway?

For people doing little bits and pieces, it sure is easier for them and yield is guaranteed. I can't see a problem here.

Australian Acacias can be a tricky code to crack and newbies will often do stupid stuff like rip out a 2 year old tree.

I'd like to see people selling Acacia Acuminata phyllodes, there is heaps of that out there, and the yield is very good indeed.

I'm just surprised that ebay allows it and that paypal does too, Paypal have been known to freeze your money when it comes to this sort of thing.

Edited by folias
  • Like 2

the problem is that surely some paranoia is justified if you buy it on ebay. as i mentioned T's interpretation of the law meant that the judge could technically hand down an incredibly severe sentence if it ever actually came to that.

i wonder if they're selling similar products from inside australia on any hidden markets. if i had to choose the safer option i'd say import the bark from an american through a hidden transaction, rather than order inside australia on clearnet.

>as i mentioned T's interpretation of the law meant that the judge could technically hand down an incredibly severe sentence if it ever actually came to that.

Yeah, but where are the precdedants? I really think this is being paranoid. Especially as there are so many people doing it.

Yes, a judge could give you a 10 year sentence for 1 kilo of coca powder, but that's just not going to happen in Australia, because it is tax payers money used to put you in jail and the big question is WHY would the judge do this? This is just fear mongering.

• Like 2

i'm not trying to argue with you, i agree with you, but giving the only clear answer to OPs question wasn't an attempt to spread fear.

it looks like ebay is working for some people and more power to them. it's a bit daring for me, besides i would need to order a lot just to mulch one garden.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I have a hard time comprehending what the OP is trying to say! His attitude, such as saying, why are not these listings "taken down" reinforce the tyranny and fascism this country continues to endure.

When you talk to people from other countries they can't believe the petty fascist bullshit we put up with. But morever, we don't put up with it, we EXPECT it, what is even more surprising is the amount of fear that people have, when there aint no gulags baby!

• Like 2

This is 2015.

Now would be a good time to let go of your fear based colonial attitudes regarding authority

. :shroomer:

• Like 4

This is 2015 and people do get imprisoned for petty shit.....every fckn day....

Ebays policies are US driven...hence why lophs were banned from sale.

I doubt its a "sting" operation....lol.... that said do not ever think your purchase history is safe from prying eyes.

• Like 1

When you talk to people from other countries they can't believe the petty fascist bullshit we put up with. But morever, we don't put up with it, we EXPECT it, what is even more surprising is the amount of fear that people have, when there aint no gulags baby!

there is a reaction people have, i've had it myself, akin to jealousy? where even though a law is unjust we feel upset that that somebody is breaking it without consequences. it's kinda strange, maybe a vestige of the past where authorities like church or nobility had such control that some subjects were willingly subservient. an attitude of subservience to the law obviously lingers in many australians but some who you would expect to show more independence of mind can still have petty reactions "i have to follow the law, why shouldn't they?"

• Like 1