The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hukstable

Most amazing cacti specimen

Hi guys I stumbled upon this thread from 2006 which has an amazing cacti. Wondering if anyone knows what it is and if anyone is propogating it! Would love one.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12042

Appologies if this has been covered before.post-16401-0-54130700-1432215487_thumb.j

post-16401-0-54130700-1432215487_thumb.jpg

post-16401-0-54130700-1432215487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hukstable
  • Like 8

I don't bring many plants into my collection these days, but I would make room for that one.

~Michael~

That is beautiful!! I would love to get ahold of it.

Yes it´s amazing. If anyone is giving away seeds of that one please let me know. Already growing a couple of seedlings but the seed had a problematic germination rate with semi-variegated seedlings and I am not sure if they´ll make it.

Do you know what the cacti is EG?

J1 is a very nice cacti too. Peruvianus?

Hi guys I stumbled upon this thread from 2006 which has an amazing cacti. Wondering if anyone knows what it is and if anyone is propogating it! Would love one.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12042

Appologies if this has been covered before.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I used to have a mature specimen almost identical to that, I think it was a hybrid between long-spined bridgesii I had (14-18cm spines) and peruvianus if I remember right. Pretty cool, but was ridiculously dangerous, it was the one cactus I was truly fearful of being around - the spines were like lances, designed to kill.

Hukstable, this type of Tricho is related to Cuzcoensis (hence the long spines) and Peruvianus. If I would have to pick a side, I´d certainly say that it´s more of a Peruvianus than a Cuzco, but there are some things that are typical for cuzcos, such as the golden spines on new growth, the long spines and most likely the gray old spine growth. This is similar to the plants from Rio Lurin. At that size, it has too many ribs for a Bridgesii and the Rib Structure is very unlike Bridgesii either, including the distance between the areoles and such. It´s an interesting type that is common in a couple areas in Peru.

Thanks EG, yes its very intereresting. Without the spines its looks like a pachanoi. Those symmetrical spines are cool, i havent seen that in other cacti pics i have seen. Ill have to look up the cacti from Rio Lurin.

I found this guy which has a similar spine structure. This cacti is from coromandel cacti in New Zealand. It is suppose to be a bridgesii hybrid. post-16401-0-04194100-1433048161_thumb.j

post-16401-0-04194100-1433048161_thumb.jpg

post-16401-0-04194100-1433048161_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing plant! But not a Bridgesii. Peruvianus with a lot of Cuzco in it. I can 100% rule out Bridgesii here. There are countless Trichos from the Cuzcoensis complex and most of those very spiny Peruvianoids with yellow spines/gray old spine growth are Cuzcoensis or at least extremely related to them.

Edited by Evil Genius