The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
endorfinder

Gumbi Gumbi Diaries

Hey guys I'm currently enjoying Ross River Fever along with 6000 or so other Australians... various things led me towards "Gumbi Gumbi" as a potential treatment.

The plant is Pittosporum phylliraeoides (there are a few synonyms). I'm told it's hemiparasitic, and that the host tree is an Aboriginal secret of some description, these were obtained through the wife of an elder/trusted person. I've heard there is a lot of bunk stuff going around that isn't grown on the same host, but I was directed to this my a trusted forum member who assured me it was authentic.

So... I'm posting a daily diary on FB about my experiences, I thought I'd duplicate it here for posterity and general interest.

Here goes:

Day 1

Yesterday I received my package of Gumbi Gumbi to try and treat my Ross River Virus infection. I was told it was about a month's supply, and weighed the fairly small, bone dry leaves in at a bit over 60g, so figured on 2g as a daily dose.

I made a tea using a coffee plunger and a big of honey, left for more than 5 minutes to infuse. I'm drinking it while I write this, it's actually quite pleasant and very "oz" tasting, the flavour is kind of what I imagine eucalyptus would be like without the menthol; it could easily become an acquired taste.

I've been told to expect results after 10-14 days which seems optimistic... will soon find out!

• Like 4

i started a thread which i think i spelled 'gubby gubby' or gubbi gubbi.

no takers though.

I can only find a couple of passing references to the Gubbi Gubbi people in the search engine, thunder?

yeah.

i dunno.

it was a fairly vague lead i was given by a fairly very unreliable person, and the seeds didn't germinate for me but then i had no way to find out what they were or how to grow them. supposedly it was grown in crops though. a kind of restorative drink.

Seeds are commercially available (as syn Pittosporum angustifolium) but it's hemiparasitic, and supposedly the magic lies in the host which is a secret. Although if I was to try and look for it, I would start with Eremophila latrobei.

1 minute ago, etherealdrifter said:

Miss him a lot, he was pretty much my first SAB friend, he was so open and friendly and generous, at a time I really needed it.

• Like 3

I agree mate, miss him heaps was my best friend when I moved up here. 

I planted a Gumbi in my yard its doing great. will never forget him, his kindness, his wit and spirit .

RIP my brother

• Like 3

On 03/11/2020 at 4:16 PM, Glaukus said:

Miss him a lot, he was pretty much my first SAB friend, he was so open and friendly and generous, at a time I really needed it.

same same. 

oh, thats sad to hear, I had no idea..   I have had his  "small peruvianus crest" he bred and named endorfinder for some years now.. even though I now think that's a pachanoi.   RIP

ok, i don't want to start a new tread, so do honor endorfinder even more.

1, pm me if you want gumbi gumbi seeds for free. 5 lots available, seed collected just days ago.

2, a good link Thompson_BSci_Honours_2014.pdf (usq.edu.au)

3, another good link https://www.mdpi.com/2304-8158/9/7/887/pdf

• Like 2

two more lot's available, come on it's a freebie.:drool2::wub::):wink::P

• Like 1

Wow, I miss him - I don't check in here much these days, but this was the first thread I opened and it reminded me of him. Off topic, but I recently inherited a couple of what I think are Dracena draco a friend saved from his collection after he passed, so a part of him lives on.

As for gumbi gumbi, Bunnings stocks them in their tuckerbox collection, but who knows if they have the medicinal properties if the speculation that the host is the important factor is true (or if they even are really hemiparasitic).

i have posted 5 letters with 10 seeds each, enjoy.

i have dried the seeds for maybe 3 weeks, but noticed the coating was still sticky, so to be save (and avoid any fungus issues) place the seeds (for storage) in the fridge, with zip bag opend.

Edited by withdrawl clinic
  • Like 2

Arrived yesterday, thanks so much!