The Corroboree
∂an

green tree frog

after the big flood that hit nsw this week, the old concrete water tank at my house has filled up with about a foot of water. and it has inhabitants - a big green tree frog that I have sometimes seen on the back steps at night, and a little tadpole that I assume is its offspring based on observing it regularly coming right up beside the frog.

post-6519-0-05665100-1429762110_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-43361200-1429762133_thumb.jp

The frog has been in this half out, half in position for the past 3 days. Usually the tank only has an inch or of water at the bottom. I have read that green tree frogs cannot swim so well, and prefer to live in a humid environment rather than in the water itself.

Should I try and do something to help the frog? I think the tank must have been its usual hideout, and worked well when there was only a small amount of water. Should I:

a) drain the tank to its previous state

B) help the frog get out

c) do nothing

I guess it could get out if it wanted to (?), so option b is out. maybe it is staying in this position to be with its offspring?

post-6519-0-05665100-1429762110_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-43361200-1429762133_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-05665100-1429762110_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-43361200-1429762133_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

They like agaves n aloes when its holding droplets of water. Doesnt help the offspring much?

i would put some large rocks or wood in the bottom of the tank to simulate some dry land that it can crawl up onto, like you would have for a pet frog in an aquarium.

if it's been on the back steps it can climb out if it wants to, yeah?

• Like 3

build a small ladder out of the mire and take bleesing krama points from the universe for being amphib friendly.

go lick a window

• Like 2

I with the make dry land in the bottom and maybe a stick that can be used like a ladder.

• Like 1

It was before all that water accumulated in the tank that I saw it on the steps. I thought Maybe it can't climb up the concave concrete wall, or somehow got stuck in the tank in the flood.

I have put a plank against the shortest side so it can climb out, and will deposit large objects for it to clamber on tomorrow. Will post pics of the frogs new setup. Would be cool to see the tadpole grow into a frog.

Thanks y'all :D

• Like 6

You should go out at night and check on the frog, see if its there. You'll probably find that it leaves the tank at night to feed, and returns during the day ( they are a bit like homing pigeons, lol ) . Being a tree frog its quite a good climber. Some overweight frogs might struggle climbing up a surface that the disc on their feet don't completly adhere to. What ever wood you put in to help it get out, make sure its not treated pine, and if you use tree branches, make sure they arent fresh as the sap will leach into the water, and if the frog cant get out, it could get poisoned in by the water.

:)

• Like 2

oh my goodies theyre sooo kyoooot! :wub:

yeah some sort of ladder fo' sho'

but in my experience with brit frogs they're a little too daft to escape (maybe they were happy where they were lol)

involved a "going down the deep hole with a aquarium net and the possibility of having missed a few"

:P maybe I should leave out the radio controlled chopper air lift idea? :lol:

• Like 2

This morning, before reading amazonians reply, I put in the tank an old car tyre, a plank of wood and the base of a yucca that had been recently pulled up. I then used a mop to scoop up mr frog and place him near the new rubber island. I came back after an hour and the frog was on the tyre, hiding underneath the plank, seemingly happy with the new arrangements.

After reading amazonians post, maybe the yucca wasn't such a great idea. I will take it out this evening, and get some water plants to put in there on the weekend. And some rocks. At least now I am not worried he will drown in the tank.

post-6519-0-02882100-1429838848_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-02882100-1429838848_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-02882100-1429838848_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Also I've been checking on him regularly the past 4 days or so, and each time he was up against the wall, looking a bit stuck. Maybe it is choosing to stay in there due to the tadpole or the flood? At least now it can get out if necessary

Frogs are not very maternal ( there was an Australian species that use to raise its young from egg to frog in its stomach, but it's now believed to be extinct(gastric brooding frog) ) , so if / when the tadpole goes through metamorphosis, and the big frog is still there, chances are it will be eaten by the adult frog. I think either the frog likes the water tank, or it cant climb out like you suspect.

I think the tyre may leach chemicals into the water. Why not help the frog out during the night so it can find somewhere else under the cover of darkness, and if it ends up back in the water tank, i would say it likes it, lol. Is there another water source for the frog to absorb its moisture requirements from? Maybe build a pond :)

Ok re reading. A flood, yes there is another place for it to get moisture requirements. Lol

Rescue complete :P As soon as the sun set, he (or she?) hopped over the yucca, up the plank and onto the lip of the tank!

post-6519-0-58267300-1429879335_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-79733000-1429879471_thumb.jp

It is such impressive creatures, oozing reptilian zen through huge black eyes.

Yeah eventually I will put some big rocks and plants in there, but the wall is my height so not an easy task. There is a lot of flood water around, but this guy has been hanging around the house for a few months now. I have a bunch of succulents and herbs nearby that attracts insects, so prob not a bad spot to be a frog :)

post-6519-0-58267300-1429879335_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-79733000-1429879471_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-58267300-1429879335_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-79733000-1429879471_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

A GT frog in a tank like that could make quite a racket in mating season, but if you do want to give him easy access you could stand up a length of white rainwater pipe with a few escape holes along the length. GT frogs can climb that stuff easily and love living inside it. They also have to visit water each day because they drink by absorption through their skin, and it wouldn't matter if the water level was high or low.

Another option for GT frogs is those common plastic hanging pots that have an inbuilt lower reservoir and an overflow hole about the size of a golf ball, the perfect size for a GT frog to get in there and they absolutely love living in those things. Hang a couple within leaping distance from a back porch window where they can feast on insects each night that are attracted to the lights of your house.

Your frog sure is a fine specimen Ian, would you consider putting him out to stud? My old girl is a bit of a man eater, she's looking for a stayer, someone who can go the distance if you know what I mean. Call me :P

over-fed frog.jpg

over-fed frog.jpg

over-fed frog.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 6

Wow she is huge! Ummm I mean beautiful.... Does she live at your place?! Not sure if I could sleep at night with that man eater about :P give my guy a few years to beef up, then we can talk

No sign of the frog this morning in the tank, maybe it really was stuck? I'll make the tank more frog friendly anyway, with PVC access - in dry times it is probably a good water source for them.

• Like 2

Awww gorgeous! I love frogs :D We had a Peron's tree frog at our old house (the one we're going back to) living in the back toilet sometimes. They have cross-pupils and bright emerald speckles. They weren't around every year so it was so special when they were.

I'm glad you've sorted something out for your guy. Maybe turn it into a natural well and add some regular goldfish, small enough that they don't compete for too little food, and get some lotus and other herbs going on in that tank :D