The Corroboree
bob-bob

I.D request please. 99% sure they're Lactarius deliciosus

Question

Found these bad boys in a pine forest.

They have spotted stems, bleed orange sap and have funnelled gills.

99% sure they're Lactarius deliciosus but want to be 100% before I eat them.

Also, any tips for cooking them would be handy, a nice recipe?

post-2965-0-86676100-1429093462_thumb.jp

post-2965-0-86676100-1429093462_thumb.jpg

post-2965-0-86676100-1429093462_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

10 answers to this question

Yeah, either L. deliciosus or one of the other closely related species. All are edible so you have nothing to worry about, but some taste slightly better than others.

I find them best on a very hot grill/pan with a bit of butter, just sear them for a minute or two each side. They get an unpleasant texture in most dishes when cooked slowly for a long time.

• Like 2

When too much in numbers I store them sliced /after blanching/ in the freezer.. :)

The last season tried the brine pickles as well..but freezer keeps the flavor better for my winter recipe ..

Frying ..and when ready an addition of some tomato paste ,cinnamon,garlic and olive oil for a thick tomato sause cover..salt if needed..

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 4

I've found them very tasty. I pick them here in SA. They will bruise green if they are L deliciosus. I can see bruising starting in your pic, it usually gets pretty obvious when being handled, takes a few minutes to change colour.

I usually fry them longer than Berengar describes and I like them that way. Try them a few ways and see what you like. :)

• Like 1

Last year was my first with these, looking forward to this season they are one of my favourites

• Like 1

Haven't seen any yet around the local spots in Vic. I'm thinking they will start popping up in May around here, what would you guys say is the prime month for these down here?

Btw nice specimens you have there, as Berengar mentioned frying the caps on a pan make for a nice meal, I'd remove the stem completely. I've seen a recipe where u add minced garlic, chives, salt and butter or oil to them while frying, haven't tried it yet but sounds tasty.

Edited by klip247

I usually dont pick edible Lactarius.. Dont like them..

But some say and they might be right its cool with tomato-onion sauce.. Its good pickled too...

Well, that is very honest of mutant. I used to feel the same until I found this brilliant recipe involving juniper berries and dill:

Google this to get to the url

Polish Salter Mushrooms - Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

The only drawback is how salty they are after pickling so if someone tries this recipe and comes up with a solution (not involving vinegar if possible) I am all ears

• Like 1

I meant the vinegar type of pickling, dont like the over-salty ones.

Many people swear by cooking them with wine or vinegar, like I said with tomato sauce and onions..

PS: nice site