The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SayN

Difference in 30 minutes of light per day?

I'm pretty sure these were all the same height when i planted them 18 months ago (or maybe 2 years) but it's interesting to see the difference in growth which i can only put down to a slight difference in light each day. obvious exception for the one on the end with two mouths to feed.

post-5949-0-86962900-1427339177_thumb.jp

post-5949-0-86962900-1427339177_thumb.jpg

post-5949-0-86962900-1427339177_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

are you saying that the one closest to the camera gets 30 minutes less light than the 3rd one down? i doubt light alone would make that much difference, genetics is probably more a factor

• Like 2

Are they all clones from the same source?

There would also be minute differences in the soil and root development, etc

• Like 3

i could be wrong but i was pretty sure they were all from the same cacti.

and the plot faces north-west so the cacti on the left get slightly more afternoon sun (1/2 hour was a guess but I could measure it if anyone is interested)..

Light makes a big difference in growth rate, but this might also be due to nutrients or other factors. It is hard to say.

• Like 1

probably genetics, variation in seed batches can be huge or is it the same plant/clone ?

Edited by Ogun

even supposedly same clones can have different growth rates, i have 2 supposed psycho0 clones one grows very slower than the other, both in similar soil both get the same fert (none),

Light makes a big difference in growth rate, but this might also be due to nutrients or other factors. It is hard to say.

true, but lets say it gets 8 hrs a day light, is 1/16th less than that going to make a huge difference? i doubt feeding at 16/16 vs 15/16 dilution would

Your garden is so aesthetically minimalist. I like it.

• Like 1

1/16 makes a noteworthy difference when speaking in terms of indoor lighting, but not an enormous difference.