The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mimzy

Legality of growing commercial strains of mushrooms

Hypothetically speaking :wink: ,

If I wanted to start a mushroom business, and I obtained my cultures from commercially available fruiting bodies, could I be exposing myself to legal repercussions later down the track? Are commercial strains normally patented in Australia?

Thanks!

Mimz

• Like 1

I don't think it would be a problem if you only sold them at markets or offered them to local/small grocers.

You should be more worried about the regulations and licenses that some states/councils require for selling produce you've grown. Call your local council and ask about it.

• Like 1

I know at markets you normally need indemnity insurance in case people get sick from eating your produce, and I imagine at a commercial level there are various licenses to be held. Thanks Zen Peddler, that was my suspicion.

• Like 1

This is an interesting question. I have heard of 'plant growers rights'. Not sure what the rules are for fungi...

There are definitely commercial strains that do have rights that go with them. Swiss brown mushrooms are one that immediately come to mind, as with sporeless varieties of oyster mushrooms. I'd be speaking to a legal aid person first of all to find out if it is a problem in Australia or not. And then go from there.

Also just because someone else does something with no problems doesn't mean you will be able to do the same. Some people are just lucky and manage to avoid getting in shit.

Best of luck

I know that Stamets makes purchasers sign an agreement that they will not onsell his genetics although I have also been told that some of his strains dont perform that well.

Agaricus may be a different kettle of fish and ive heard all sorts of stories about that and I dont know what to believe. v

My main question would be how someone proves you have willfully stolen their isolate?