The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MrWormwood

What is the easiest herbal extract to make?

I know nothing on the subject, would love to know more, and haven't seen it discussed on the forums yet (though there's a likely chance I've missed something obvious, if so, forgive me please)

I guess just making a simple Damiana tea is making an extract, but im looking to start exploring the next level up, so to speak

any recommendations/recipes for a simple gentleman, who has a modest etheogenic garden, who wishes to start dabbling in the gentlemanly art of chemistry

I guess the next step up from tea might be tinctures? Beyond that, acid-base extractions are very useful. However there is no one-size-fits-all extraction method; it depends what you're starting with, what compound(s) you want to extract, how much you want to spend, and how you want to administer it. So sometimes a simple tea really might be the best method.

I would start reading about acid-base extractions, as these are often handy in alkaloid extractions (keeping in mind that not every interesting compound is an alkaloid, but it's a place to start). Understanding the concepts involved is more important than following a recipe exactly - if you understand what's happening at each stage, you have a chance of troubleshooting when something goes wrong. And understanding the principles can also help for your simple extracts - you'll understand why they say to add lemon juice to some herbal teas, for example.

• Like 4