The Corroboree
gtarman

Name change notifcations...

I was wondering if it's possible or if people think it's a good idea to have a little symbol or something next to the username of forum members who have changed their username so that you can tell that they used to be called something else when you read their posts?

Personally I find that otherwise it's hard to keep track of who's who when people keep changing their names to something completely different and change their avatars as well. For example, I didn't know that DiscoStu was actually bot6...I thought that bot6 had just stopped posting and that I was talking to a completely new person, which I don't think is good for accountability and continuity in discussions.

It would be cool if there was an easier and more straightforward way to tell without having to click on a members profile and go into their name change history after seeing that their old quotes and posts don't match their username :-/

Thoughts?

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 1

I thought Disco Stu doesn't advertise.... (if you know the Simpsons you'll know) :huh:

• Like 8

Agreed - a little icon next the the username so you can go to their profile and look at the history of the users name changes would be great. (I know you can see their history on their profile page already, just the icon as a heads up would be a good change)

• Like 1

I always wondered if bot6 was a reincarnation of psylo.

• Like 3

Is that so, I never knew he was him!

That's what I mean...with the current system it can be really tricky to keep track of who exactly you're talking to when they can change their name and avatar (generally the two ways you identify somebody on a forum) to something totally different with no visible indication that they've done so, unless you somehow stumble upon a quote in an old thread and see that the names don't match up properly or if you for some reason decide to check on their profile. I think it would be cool to just have a little icon or something that alerts you to a member that has changed their name - would keep things more transparent and consistent

^well i thought you were ginger meggs but i kept my mouth shoosh just in case the real Spartacus rose his head and joined the foray into the shapeshifting paradigm that was name changeinglingdom.

lol #6 you do create such a stir -see ya at the meet with your winning personality mate

edit spelling on the meggsie comment..........that and i don't get consciousness often enough to edit a post:P

Edited by etherealdrifter
  • Like 1

Seems stupid to change your name and confuse peeps... unless your walter white Jr and wanna be flynn for a bit. Ide make an exception in widdle flynns position.

Makes you wonder why people do it? If i ever change for the record ill be wert2.0 but i wont be making things any harder for anyone just yet. Stick it to yourselves mo fos!

• Like 2

I always wondered if bot6 was a reincarnation of psylo.

I can assure you, bot6 (disco stu) isn't Psylo, lol. :)

I think we were all suspicious of any member that joined around the time of Psylos departure.

Some people might want to change their name to hide from the general public (non SABers, family members) (stalking ex partners). I am not fussed either way about an icon to indicate a name change, as long as its not something that indicates publicly who they previously were. :)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

lol #6 you do create such a stir

I didn't mean to single out disco6 lol...sorry if it seemed that way, that was just the most recent occurrence of this happening that made me think of it.

lol...I Like it wert :wink:

....and its fitting

BTW gtarman I've changed my username so you don't get confused :wink:

EDIT -was gunna be the beta version...but the major bugs are sorted out...lol

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

lol...I Like it wert :wink:

....and its fitting

BTW gtarman I've changed my username so you don't get confused :wink:

EDIT -was gunna be the beta version...but the major bugs are sorted out...lol

You know when they release new versions of things when there was nothing wrong with the old ones...I hate that :-p

• Like 2

Funny how times change, I used to be called Chiral!

Maybe this is the way to do it ^^^^

Have a thread were people can list who they were.

• Like 1

They called me Kid Gorgeous. Later on, it was Kid Presentable. Then Kid Gruesome. And finally, Kid Moe.

i can't believe RC got to say "disco stu doesn't advertise" in context.

• Like 5

.I thought that bot6 had just stopped posting and that I was talking to a completely new person, which I don't think is good for accountability and continuity in discussions.

this made me genuinely lol. all i can say is if i've offended you tough shit

p.s. fuck all y'all

Edited by DiscoStu
  • Like 2

i was also "someone" before bot6, but you can do some god damned research to find out that one

• Like 2

How about if peeps want to be linked to their previous name they can

They called me Kid Gorgeous. Later on, it was Kid Presentable. Then Kid Gruesome. And finally, Kid Moe.

i can't believe RC got to say "disco stu doesn't advertise" in context.

Fuckn BAM! I've been waiting to drop that shit for ages bro :lol:

• Like 1

Dunno i mean you could just like check display name history on the persons profile or is that too hard? :P

this made me genuinely lol. all i can say is if i've offended you tough shit

p.s. fuck all y'all

lol, you hadn't offended me? like I said I wasn't singling you out, you were just the most recent case of this to come to my attention...I couldn't really care less what people wanna call themselves, I just like the forum to be transparent and easy-to-follow/not confusing, and to be able to keep track of who is who saying what without added difficulty

ps. what

Dunno i mean you could just like check display name history on the persons profile or is that too hard? :P

You can...but it's not that practical, unless you suspect they were previously called something else (which there is mostly no clear way to tell without looking it up for each member of the forum individually) then why would you? That's kinda my point - that it would be better to have something that shows you near their avatar that they used to be called something else, so you at least know when you're talking to somebody who might have been somebody different than you thought.

I tend to look at the post count , and if i am on a computer, i can run the mouse over the name and see how long they have been a member. If its showing they have been a member for years, i might investigate further....look at profile and name history. (It would be good if ipads had a mouse over option)

• Like 2

Or they could put a note in their signature for a few weeks if they wanted....