The Corroboree
drpotato

Mr. fothergill's is doing shitake mushrooms, how should i use?

check this out https://www.tonycookretail.co.uk/system/pictures/000/001/432/normal/DSCF0205.JPG?1367405544

i bought a bag on impulse,
they are like little pellets each imbued with spores, given past difficulty with growing mushrooms due to contamination, i dont know what to think, given the type of people buying this it should be idiotproofed.
However, only for pure wood.

I, dont want to wait that long for such mild rewards, i want to do something big, like a great big cake sized cake, but made of what?
ill be keeping it in a climate controlled indoor greenhouse with humifier and UV lighting.

i want to be able to get results in 3-5 weeks opposed to 6-8.

but if thats not practical thats fine, then i just want to try increasing my yeild at least, the advised setup mimics a natural inoculated log, which you are supposed to put in a garden once its going.

At the moment i can get ahold of wild pine, unlimited coconut husk, i want a reason to trim the hell out of a mulberry tree i planted in what should be a veggie patch but got out of control, so mulberry branches, and whatever selection of woods available to someone in subtropical queensland.

they are like little pellets each imbued with spores, given past difficulty with growing mushrooms due to contamination, i dont know what to think, given the type of people buying this it should be idiotproofed.

I believe they're freeze-dried inoculated grains. Also it seems based on other people's experience that they're mostly contaminated already. (http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38546&hl=fothergills). I picked up two bags of Oyster grains myself a few days ago before doing some research on it.

Maybe first try inoculating some petri dishes to see how they work out. Also don't rely on their instructions (there's nothing idiotproofed about it), there should be plenty of good info online.

I'm yet to hear of anyone, even experienced cultivators, who try these to have success at growing anything more than contams.

Same, I've searched other forums too. I divided each of my two packets into 15 different dishes and vials all sterilised and done in glovebox and they all grew the same cobweb mould and no sign of any oyster mycelium at all. Such a huge scam. At least based on my local bunnings people seem to buy plenty of these.

• Like 1

^^^ Agreed.

Tried Shiitake and Pink Oysters, ask for the freshest batch not yet put on the shelves at Bunnings and tried on PDA plates, between cardboard with mild h202 wash, dropped into LC after stronger h202 dip and grain to grain! Nothing but contams and frustration.

Even the agar plates yielded no visible mycelium at 100X magnification, just trich and penicillium.

Up yours Mr Fothergill! :wave-finger:

Awaiting reply to rather hastily written ill tempered email to them... keep y'all posted.