The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

How long after rooting...

How long after rooting a cutting can you use it as graftng stock?

Also, how long should a pup be on something that is established before it also can be used as grafting stock.

I searched the forum but couldnt find definitive answers. If someone could lead me in the right direction, much appreciated.

• Like 1

Well, the reason you graft something onto a stock is because of the already existing root system. So let´s say you have a cutting that has already healed but doesnt have any or only very few roots yet. In that case, I would not use it as a stock, simply because it will take forever to root and hence take forever until the stock can pump nutrients into the stock. Whenever you take a cutting it will slow it´s metabolism and put all energy into root production and might even abort or starve your scion. So yeah, it only makes sense to use fully rooted and established plants as a grafting stock. Otherwise you might end up with a graft that goes into dormancy and wont grow for a year or two. So yeah, I wouldnt only avoid unrooted plants but also plants that arent at least 30 centimeters long and in full growth.

• Like 2

I've done plenty of grafts that have been cut that same day. I personally haven't noticed a big change in growth from rooted vs non rooted but haven't paid too much attention. I thought that the graft could get nutrients from the stock as soon as it has taken, it certainly can absorb water and plump up, that's my final indicator of when the graft has taken.

edit: i only have experience in loph grafts though

Also as far as harvesting pups from a mother used for stock, anywhere from a bit more wide than a 50c peice to a robust thick san pedro. The main thing to do i've found is to graft to a stock that is actively growing, you can graft to older stock but your success chance diminishes significantly, speaking from experience.

Edited by Distracted
  • Like 1

Do you have to graft onto brand new growth?

Say if I had cut some pups off a pachanoi, would I have to wait for a new pup to emerge or can I just cut the main column and use that?

I've seen people graft onto unrooted columnar cuttings then let them root like that and the grafts were just as successful as the ones on established plants, but they took way longer to get started. Personally I only graft onto plants that have a well established root system, are fully hydrated, and are in full growth. I want the scion to be fully hydrated as well. With these conditions I rarely have a failed graft, but it still happens sometimes. I've tried grafting onto dehydrated, slightly soft stock before and the success rate is a lot lower that way.

hostilis

• Like 1

I've grafted many times on cuttings that don't have roots. But I only do this on species which I know well, like Stenocereus and Trichocereus. They usually root in 2-3 weeks in the growing season.

I've also done a few grafts on dormant cuttings also with no roots but the success rate wasn't that good.

• Like 1