The Corroboree
MountainGoat

The Carolina Reaper

I have been eating and growing some hot peppers these last years too.. Cayenne (awesome peppery taste) lemon drop (strange, yellow one that smells fruity and not peppery) patagonia (very good and appropriatedly hot) etc

I first wanna note/ comment on gtarman, who thinks violent horror films shouldn't be made, but here suggests people use superhot peppers to make pepper spray, which should be pretty dangerous... I guess real violence is different from films, huh?

supper hots can be used to make a DIY grout/plaster, for back/neck problems... only problem is you have to experiment to see how much you're putting... I have been thinking about that, probably dipping in olive oil... in any case processing them can be very dangerous...

As a relatively newbiee in hot peppers, I am quite enthousiastic in using powdered peppers (without seeds) in many foods, its much much better to skip the seed.. So I am using peppers from 10.000 up to 50.000 so far, but was initiated with a couple very small pieces of a 500.000 habanero.. an initiation ritual from some of the people that urged me get into cacti in the first place...

I dont think the levels of use - tolerance drop down so fast, and I also believe that superhots can be useful to those who are so into the thing, that nothing really gets them - problem is that nobody is going to be able to eat this thing apart from you..

Super hots can be dangerous in both eating and cultiuvating!

• Like 1

I first wanna note/ comment on gtarman, who thinks violent horror films shouldn't be made, but here suggests people use superhot peppers to make pepper spray, which should be pretty dangerous... I guess real violence is different from films, huh?

The pepper spray thing was tongue-in-cheek man...I thought that was obvious? Also that's not quite my opinion or horror movies, I think you may have taken liberties with quoting me there, but that thread was a very long time ago. I believe the opinion that I would have stated (or if I didn't, this is it) is that I personally don't see the value in the films and that I personally don't enjoy watching them or think they contribute anything particularly positive to society (I would probably argue the opposite)...but that doesn't at all mean that I think they shouldn't be made. People are free to make movies as they like, I'm all for freedom of expression.

Same as somebody is free to spout nonsense about any number of topics that might even be horribly politically incorrect and offensive. I respect their right to freedom of expression, but that doesn't mean I condone the content of their speech or think it should be widely distributed and appreciated.

But now we're getting waaaaay off topic. I'd like to steer it back by pointing out something cool I found out - apparently there's a species of Euphorbia that contains an analog of capsaicin that is actually 1000 times hotter on the SHU...16 BILLION SHU to be exact. Now *that* is probably too much heat in anyone's book

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 2

Fair enough. I thought it was strange noone talked about dangers around super-hots, let alone making pepper extract from superhots.

offtopic PS: that was not so long ago actually and its a pretty awesome thread with tons of films you would hate and (according to you) would make people who watch them worse persons :P

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37397&hl=disturbing

I love reading it from time to time

Edited by mutant

But is there actually any real danger in handling/eating superhots? The point of capsaicin is that it just sends a signal to the pain receptors while inflicting no harm. I've put on contact lenses several hours after handling trinidad scorpions, probably one of the worst and most 'dangerous' things you can do with superhot peppers, and suffered no consequences except for half hour of agony and a bit of dehydration afterwards. I can't imagine any scenario where cultivating peppers would be dangerous, and eating only if you choked on your own saliva or something.

An eye thing mostly... yeah... and remember I am dealing with under 100.000 shu... these super hots are not normal...

removing the seeds from the flesh and /or making the dried flesh into powder might also be dangerous in similar ways (eyes, nose, inhale of fine powder) ... actually its better to make this outside, as you get ill effects from processing peppers for lots of time in a closed space..

also, for something different, handle a super hot and then put your finger in the nose...

it can be 'dangerous' and it can be painful alright

I guess I'm just to used to capsaicin to appreciate the dangers.

And yeah, I highly recommend wearing some kind of breathing mask and goggles when grinding or cooking peppers. Fumes from cooking hot sauce can be very nasty in a poorly ventilated room.

Btw, finger in the nose is nothing, try touching your dick! :lol: That was probably the worst pain I ever experienced, good thing it's only very temporary with no lasting consequences.

• Like 3

ouch , lol !!!

I guess I'm just to used to capsaicin to appreciate the dangers.

And yeah, I highly recommend wearing some kind of breathing mask and goggles when grinding or cooking peppers. Fumes from cooking hot sauce can be very nasty in a poorly ventilated room.

Btw, finger in the nose is nothing, try touching your dick! :lol: That was probably the worst pain I ever experienced, good thing it's only very temporary with no lasting consequences.

Yep. Ive suffered from "Chilli Willy" countless times.....

• Like 5

One of the first things I taught my son about my garden was to be careful with the chillies.

I used to worry about friends brining their kids over in case there was a chilli incident.

Dangerous? Questionable, but definitely don't want young kids accidentally having a painful and traumatic episode.

• Like 2

Got my Carolina Reapers germinated and growing! I'll post pics when I get the first peppers!

Edited by Nezahualcoyotl

But is there actually any real danger in handling/eating superhots?

search u-tube for LA Beast eats hot chili peppers (he also eats a real spiny cactus)

I've seen many youtube videos of many people eating many different superhot peppers, and from what I can tell, the only danger is that it often makes them look like crying 7 year old girls. :lol:

• Like 1

So, I ate a whole one (seeds and all) from my garden last night. It shut me down for about 10 minutes of no responses other than hiccups and blank stares. My 3 year old daughter was there all the while asking if I was ok... But really it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've been building myself up over the past couple of weeks by eating just the flesh raw over the top of meals....

At the very least its a great spectator chilli...

Give it a go, I'd do it again... and I wouldn't call myself a real chilli freak, just an admirer... :)

• Like 1

A few pics

edit: why sideways?

post-15957-0-29298800-1449812509_thumb.j

post-15957-0-47475800-1449812569_thumb.j

post-15957-0-49110900-1449812634_thumb.j

post-15957-0-41243500-1449812951_thumb.j

post-15957-0-29298800-1449812509_thumb.jpeg

post-15957-0-47475800-1449812569_thumb.jpeg

post-15957-0-49110900-1449812634_thumb.jpeg

post-15957-0-41243500-1449812951_thumb.jpg

post-15957-0-29298800-1449812509_thumb.jpeg

post-15957-0-47475800-1449812569_thumb.jpeg

post-15957-0-49110900-1449812634_thumb.jpeg

post-15957-0-41243500-1449812951_thumb.jpg

Edited by MountainGoat
  • Like 3

edit: why sideways?

fixed em for ya :)

post-3765-0-89803200-1449820572_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-74993200-1449820589_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-89016800-1449820604_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-89803200-1449820572_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-74993200-1449820589_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-89016800-1449820604_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-89803200-1449820572_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-74993200-1449820589_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-89016800-1449820604_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

^^^ yeah, that... I too think carolina reaper is a primo. And that Ed curry is a thief of some kind. In any case, like with many commercial things, all these varieties are a joke, and you have to develop a tolerance to really get the taste and flavour.. ( I dont really think there are that many differences between different scorpions, naglah, naga, jigsaw, reaper, in terms of smell, but maybe that's just me) 

I grow many different chillis with some friends, our production is being many tens of kilos this year, counting approx 70 plants and 30 varieties. From some C.annuums, to various habaneros, to scorpions : you name it - well there are too many varieties! I even have a C.pubescens (rocoto) in a pot which is doing its first flower now.. 

Carolina reaper is so last year though - cult, but really small. Jigsaw , specifically jigsaw x TMS , that reportedly was created and spread by some australian they tell me, is ~ as  hot as the carolina and pretty bigger pepper and a very productive plant. 

I dont really eat that stupidly hot peppers over 1 mil SHU. I have eaten small slices from scorpions - you know, when messing around with friends and all, IME eating chilli with empty stomach can make someone ill for a while, and it doesn't need to be a superhot actually.. 

But we have made some sauces with some of the superhots - in several series and variations, and doing small sales.

I have also been using my own grown seed-less red habanero powder to spice up everything for 2 years now.. its propably the best way to deal with heat and easy to use.... Recently I have been raising level slowly. I am finding the heat is different from species to species and with different timelines. C.baccatum is different in its heat from C.annuum... superhots like naga, naglah, jigsaw, scoprions are slow to start compared to habaneros or annumms, but the heat lasts and burns a lot... 

Yeah, I am one of these rare chilliheads that actually eats the spice 7 days per week, but dont do stupid stuff like eating a whole pepper, even as low in heat as in habanero.. Well I like to eat fresh 20.000-50.000 SHU ones along with meat , but not more than that. 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 2

oh, and maybe SKIP all the stupid american challenge videos and watch these which are public chilli contest fests which are organised by a UK chilli club and are actually FUN to watch 

check them out there are dozens to watch !!

That having been said, LA beast is somewhat funny, I watched his videos for a whole night once.... 

• Like 3

another thing: eating chilli and getting burnt is DEFINATELY a psychoactive experience. no question. I am quite sure it synergises with everything, and I found out  that indeed it somewhat sobers up a drunk state of mind. 

• Like 2

Hey folks anyone interested in sharing some nice chilli seeds with me? I am more interested in flavour than heat... none of my jalepeno seeds germinated :(

I have some cambodian chilli seeds i can trade, or some trich cross seeds, or some heirloom vege seeds :)

I'd like go get a few different  kinds going, let me know if you can help me out.

I must have forgotten to write about my second experience eating one of these. The first I wrote about earlier in this thread. The second, and last time, I ate one was from a different plant, grown in partial shade. The first was full sun. Anyway it was soooo farking hot!!! Never again! Now I'm happy just eating low heat peppers... definitely psychedelic experience with hot peppers...

Hey @niggles, I've got some interesting edibles, pm me..

Edited by MountainGoat
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, sagiXsagi said:

oh, and maybe SKIP all the stupid american challenge videos and watch these which are public chilli contest fests which are organised by a UK chilli club and are actually FUN to watch 

check them out there are dozens to watch !!

That having been said, LA beast is somewhat funny, I watched his videos for a whole night once.... 

That was great!

Gold!

I thought the guy in the football jersey had it... I loved the winner's last comment "I can't feel my hands"... thanks for the giggles sagi 

there are many many of those in that YT channel and many crazy chilli vids. I love it when people who seem a bit scary at first sight, like tattoo freeks, gym freex and all, are the first to quit, LOL 

edit: hey started a thread on chilli breeding, selecting seed and more here 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 1