The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gimli

End of the world

If you could hang around on this earth long enough to watch the end of the world, would you?

I'd like to hang around and see how things go down for the human race...

I think that being immortal would send a person crazy. Making new friends and watching them die for ever would be terribly depressing.

I'd do my best to survive. Grab my kids and other loved ones, ride out the devastation as long as possible.

And if we make it,, well I kinda like old dero buildings so exploring and painting we'd go haha imagine the garden we could have once the TGA and govt were no longer haha the new weather patterns may create some really funky growth!

humans are too resilient to be wiped out completely. we've infested every corner of the earth, and the ones we haven't aren't hospitable to any life. even in the wake of massive nuclear annihilation there will be pockets of humans around to continue in one way or another. now, do i want to be around to deal with the constant headfuck of a post-apocolyptic society? not particularly, that would be harsh as fuck and i'd probably rather be fried by a 200 mega-tonne nuke.

There is an amazing movie called The Man from Earth that deals with some of these questions. The whole film takes place in a house where one man tries to convince his scientist friends (archaeologist, anthropologist, biologist, etc) that he is immortal. Fully sick off the chain shit.

There is an amazing movie called The Man from Earth that deals with some of these questions. The whole film takes place in a house where one man tries to convince his scientist friends (archaeologist, anthropologist, biologist, etc) that he is immortal. Fully sick off the chain shit.

Thanks for that, will check it out sometime this weekend.

I am quite interested in things such as cryonics and preserving a life form in suspended animation.

Interesting... https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/21944553/first-cryogenics-centre-to-open-in-australia/

who says the world will end on any timescale that is meaningful to our current collective imagination?

all of my life i believed what i was told about the history of the solar system (past and future), the age of the universe and the life cycle of stars. it imposes an expiry date for life on earth which is i dunno, some few billion years in the future, not necessarily such a long time considering we believe life has been evolving for several billion years just to where we are now.

the history of the earth, behind and in front, is a gaping uncertainty.

Its all subjective and down to ones perception and surroundings. If your an average white person living in your ivory towers in the west that might seem like a legitimately interesting subject to speculate on. Whereas, if your, say, from a village in north west Nigeria which has just been burnt to the ground by Boko Haram, the end of the world has already been an gone, and I'd hazard a guess the only thing on your mind is survival.

I probably should have specifically mentioned the human race dying out.. if it ever happens.. Which it will... things on earth are finite..

I think humanity will be bio-evolved out...within a few generations...people are going to want more than the sapien model can offer...just not enough apps.

I wouldn't rule out our species living for billions of years, although we'd almost certainly undergo evolution, branching, genetic modification, ascension, assimillation or some such alteration.

Haha, without even reading that article I assume its an adhoc way of explaining observations that don't match the dominant model of solar system creation :D

I actually posted that with you in mind Thunder.........I thought in some ways it may tie into the links you gave me, (awesome stuff)

You have a sun passing through the outer edge of our solar system while people were around to witness it, Perhaps a lot more sophisticated/civilised/advanced than we recognize, (did it have any orbiting planets? likely) Think of the gravitational & electrical dynamics that would be going on with our planets, not to mention massive disruption to the comets.....I thought it tied in nicely to the electrical universe theories...very supportive of. Sparks & alignments etc...our solar system would have been ablaze. The view from earth would look a lot like the images depicted by the ancients, Even possibly causing the submerging of the theorized land mass between India & Auz...not to mention Atlantis...massive flooding ...tidal waves beyond comprehension...scarring of Mars etc.

Its interesting to note there has always been suspicions & theories of an outer high mass planet or dark sun.

To date there has been a lot of rogue suns discovered, Suns ejected from their galactic orbit by rouge black holes. These huge mass rogues are shooting through our galaxy like bullets in all directions........So now they see it happen very recently...could be a common occurrence.

Does dark matter cause mass extinctions and geologic upheavals?

Wouldnt mind seeing what happens when Andrometa collides with the milky way. I really would.

That "close encounter" star system only 70k years ago is quite an interesting coincidence! That sounds like the beginning of an informational pandoras box...

When I was 17, I was hoping Y2K was going to flip shit on it's head. I felt privileged to be able to bear witness to potentially the end of the current stage of human development.

The reality I'm sure would be quite different. I'd love to see the beauty in the unfolding chaos, and the assurance that those at the top are highly unlikely to come off without a lot of bruises (in all ways).

I just hope we don't fuck it up for the planet.