The Corroboree
Gimli

Killing a plant that's originated next door..

If you were my neighbour Gimli and you poisoned my plant and trapped my cats you would not be my neighbour any longer :)

Def a good thing for you we arnt neighbours. :)

Wonder if your backyard is such a haven for native fauna that it warrants such actions as cat trapping.

Wonder if you'll have a mice and rat issue after you'rve caught all the cats.

You could grow your naughty plants in the offending creeper, it'll hide them well, even better if their hidden in the neighbours yard, hehe.

So up in arms about laws and rights when you yourself COULD be growing scheduled plants and engaging in activities that are unlawful.

What's the difference???

Wonder why your neighbour is so flippant with adhering to your requests, have you yourself pissed the neighbour off........... maybe not adhering to the gamet of pathetic council laws?

Good neighbourly relations are everyone's responsibility, why not lead the way and approach the situation with maturity.

Oh....... and do ensure your neighbour ain't connected in any way before waging war, condition of ones backyard can sometimes not be a viable indicator that a neighbour 'doesn't care' or does not have the financial clout or contacts to seriously fuck you up.

It is not the animals fault or the plants, these are organisms existing in the peramiters we set for them.

When they break these boundaries it's too easy to get all huffy bout it instead of revelling in the beuty and resourcefulness of nature.

My suggestion is to build a frame for the creeper to cover and grow your plants under it, leave out bowls of food for the cats so they hang round this area and protect your plants from rats ringbarking the stems and mice chewing on things they shouldn't.

Also man if you want the neighbour to cooperate with your fence building requests and it all to go nicely etc then a bit of niceness goes a long way, easy to write, harder to do.

Edited by pimento
  • Like 4

Oh....... and do ensure your neighbour ain't connected in any way before waging war, condition of ones backyard can sometimes not be a viable indicator that a neighbour 'doesn't care' or does not have the financial clout or contacts to seriously fuck you up.

I kinda agree with that. I've had the neighbours from hell, and I've been the neighbour from hell. Context is everything.

Previously I've viewed neighbours who have obsessively mown lawns to be weirdly focussed preachy types whose idea of territory extends well beyond their fenceline and into my perceived lifestyle. Some of the obsessive mowing yardwork types have been physically dangerous, fucked up and more slovenly than I once you see the kitchen. But hey, their lawns are mown so they must be reputable citizens ( no )

My place is a shitful mess when things are busy and the lawn doesn't get mowed. Large furry family members drop in on loud motorcycles from time to time. Sometimes there are parties, with music and drinking and shit. Swearing, laughing and talking crap til 3am. Maybe 3-4 times a year even

When the yuppies next door moved in it was a nightmare. They spent the whole time on guard getting weird about shit that wasn't happening, making stuff up and attributing all sorts of superpowers to us, confronting us every couple of weeks. Frankly they were scary. If you live next door to people who don't have visitors, are always quiet, have really overactive paranoid imaginations and never have parties you start to question whether they are storing the bodies in the freezer or a bath of ice. You start to wonder when they are going to pop their heads over the fence and get shrill about things they are imagining again. You start to avoid the fenceline, because they have no boundaries, but you do, and if they come in your yard and act like that again you are probably going to face court

Then one day we all got over it, and accepted that on some things we have different priorities. They like a mowed lawn, I don't care. We both like honest people around us, and we both like our privacy. If I have a party and it's too loud they are perfectly entitled to ask me to turn it down within reason. If something comes up, we will ask, not assume, and not wait until we're super pissed off to talk about it

They are now officially best neighbours ever

It's a vine FFS. It takes what, 20 min to trim it back every week? How long have you wasted getting pissed off about it? Give it a think, weigh it up against the full time neuroses and potentially escalating petty spites which come bundled with neighbourhood disputes

• Like 3

I dunno about this "getting to know your neighbours" business. It sounds like it might interfere with me getting all riled up about the minor, or in some cases totally imaginary shit that I assume about them and their activities. The reality is almost certainly more mundane...

• Like 3

I'm with you on that. In the case above I mentioned tho it was really really necessary.

Now we have established a total lack of curiousity between households and an amount of trust we aim for minimal interaction. I don't want to be best friends, or even close. That's what makes them good neighbours now

• Like 1

When we were growing up we had a particularly invasive vine on the back fence growing fairly tall. One day the neighbours poisoned it/cut it down and then we had no privacy in our yard as they could see right through.

The obnoxious weed actually served a valid purpose.

Wasn't cool :(

• Like 1