The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
pinegapcontrol

Look at this poor lil fella, wombat.

That wombat looks in poor shape, would be good if an animal rescue group picked him up and looked after him for a bit/released into the wild.

Does it live under your house?! Crazy..

• Like 1

yeah im starting to think that, hes been getting worse and worse. todays the first time ive seen pinky reddish skin/flesh. hes got march flies swarming him too.

Yeah hes under the house, i dont see him for months and then he'll pop up right at the front door, he gave me a bit of a shock today.

• Like 1

Please call someone! Would love to see him in better condition and released into the bush :)

If it was in WA we'd have picked him up and looked after him for a bit, sadly VIC is a bit far:(

Great animals, although somewhat ugly when they "smile" at you lol good luck with it

Mange.. you can look up local groups that will supply the treatment for you to spray onto it. It will need a lot of applications though, that guy might be too far gone :( if you can smell something off around the house it will be its festering wounds.. utterly horrific but true :(

• Like 1

I know a carpenter who is part of the animal rescue group in the area, i will give him a buzz. just out of interest how would they catch the wombat, and how wouold i if i wanted to treat it myself? he doesnt show up too often and when he does i find it hard to imagine how i would catch and keep him in an area to treat him.

Edited by micoz

Mange?

Mange?

noun
noun: mange
a skin disease of mammals caused by parasitic mites and occasionally communicable to humans. It is characterized by severe itching, hair loss, and the formation of scabs and lesions.

Yeah, usually when they're that bad they are blind so you can get really close if you're quiet & down wind, you have to have the chemical ready in a sprayer.. is hard though cause sometimes you won't see them for days or weeks at a time & you need to apply repeatedly.. maybe you can get one the people to do it for you. There's also a flap thing you install on their burrow entrance & ever to.e they go in & out it applies some poison

Yeah man I know what mange is I was suggesting it could b mange

i think the treatment is similar to frontline tick treatment in that you just need to apply a small part to an absorbent patch of skin & it will be absorbed into the blood stream

yeah mate, im not debating its mange, just sent it off to get some advice or maybe they will come and get him.

thanks for that last link, im on it now.

• Like 2

from healseville sanctuary

This looks like a very advanced case of mange, usually when they get to this level there is not a lot we are able to do in regards to treatment. Once they start coming out during the day it is usually due to their eyes becoming affected and they get to the stage where they become unable to see and find food hence emaciated. My suggestion would be to call Upper Yarra Wildlife Rescue Network on 0427 088 121 and they should be able to help capture it. At this stage our recommendation would be euthanasia to alleviate suffering and a long and slow death if left in the wild. Please feel free to call on 5957-2829 to discuss further with one of our nursing team.

sad times ahead :(

Edited by micoz

from healseville sanctuary

This looks like a very advanced case of mange, usually when they get to this level there is not a lot we are able to do in regards to treatment. Once they start coming out during the day it is usually due to their eyes becoming affected and they get to the stage where they become unable to see and find food hence emaciated. My suggestion would be to call Upper Yarra Wildlife Rescue Network on 0427 088 121 and they should be able to help capture it. At this stage our recommendation would be euthanasia to alleviate suffering and a long and slow death if left in the wild. Please feel free to call on 5957-2829 to discuss further with one of our nursing team.

sad times ahead :(

:'(

yeah bud, thats what i thought, is so sad, we have them like that in our area, it aches to see them :(

• Like 1

worst case of mange I have seen, poor fella needs putting out of his misery.....