The Corroboree
Gimli

eBay/Gumtree finds

Well I reckon you scored there spooge! As for the pilosocereus and azurocereus, I think they like it a bit warmer and are probably my best growers and flower most of the year round. The pilosocereus's that is, the azurocerus isn't quite big enough yet.

• Like 1

This is pretty pricey, but would love to have one this size. Is one of my favourites

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mclaren-vale/plants/mexican-giant-elephant-cactus/1139884098

went to pick up this plant today, unfortunately the tip is dead so i didn't buy it

IMG_1094.JPG  IMG_1096.JPG   IMG_1097.JPG

but these were there so i got these instead :)

IMG_6362.JPG   IMG_6363.JPG   IMG_6364.JPG   IMG_6365.JPG

looks like werdermannius and maybe a gladiatus

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6363.JPG

IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6363.JPG

IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6365.JPG

• Like 3

Pretty disappointing! Something like that should be clear in the ad. The others plants look nice though. Still I would be pissed, if I traveled to buy that like I have in the past!

• Like 1

That copiapoa is 19500 euros plus 500 more for postage.... that's outrageous

• Like 1

that's what i mean about their prices, and what an example of extortion eh?

it's a shame or I may have bought their peruvianus crest and a taquimbo or 8 by now... 

• Like 1

That's different to my jims special, apparently there was some confusion on jims part and he sold someone a plant as jims special but it wasn't actually jims special. im pretty 99.99% certain the one ive got is the original jims special and its different to that one. I don't mean to tell you how to suck eggs, just my 2c.

this guy aint looking so flash but obviously different.

P8141092.JPG

P8141092.thumb.JPG.54f225c1dd0cf7e1fea8bb1049e4ff76.JPG

P8141092.thumb.JPG.54f225c1dd0cf7e1fea8bb1049e4ff76.JPG

Edited by godless
add photo
  • Like 1

That looks like the PD jims special-?

Which is the only other jims special ive heard of... the one master is linking is worth grabbing man

• Like 1

yeah man, both nice plants! don't get me wrong. yeah that's the PD jims special which I consider the original.

This is a pic of the mother plant (from master bs fundraiser thread)

20151223_103734~3.jpg

Pretty sure thats the real one man, like if you got a piece from jim its that plant

• Like 2

nup, PDs is the original. he spent years waiting for a cutting, and then more years until he (pd) had any available, its confusion. I don't doubt the sincerity of you or master b but jim is calling a plant jims special that's different to the one pd got.

I don't wanna start a whole thing, just agree to disagree.

Edited by godless

There's a bit of confusion surrounding this whole Jim's Special business.

After speaking with both Jim and Pd it seems that Pd named his one of his own accord and while the plant and his name for that plant has been around a lot longer, the plant that Jim calls Jim's Special is the plant in doublebennos/masterB's pic and the eBay listing. The eBay listing is by Jim's son so I think he would have a pretty good idea. Apparently Jim didn't even know that the J plants were from his garden until recently, they are names that Pd attached to them.

I've got both JS's growing in my garden, one is more pachanoi like (Jim's) and the other more peruvianus like (Pd's). I think the Jim's Special name is deserving of both of them so I just have them labeled Jim's Special pachanoi and Jim's Special peruvianus. Seems like the best solution to me. 

Pic of Jim's Special pachanoi late January 2017...

IMG_6727.JPG

Few pics of Jim's Special peruvianus late January 2017...

IMG_6743.JPGIMG_6744.JPGIMG_6745.JPG

IMG_6727.thumb.JPG.7849ab8b3877f2685937fd597293e2c9.JPG

IMG_6743.thumb.JPG.986cee1053450fc11737fc0c5f2d11ee.JPG

IMG_6744.thumb.JPG.3720936028a1c89cb7c0d63bd1d153fd.JPG

IMG_6745.thumb.JPG.33d0ac2229e5565d89185a2406556050.JPG

IMG_6727.thumb.JPG.7849ab8b3877f2685937fd597293e2c9.JPG

IMG_6743.thumb.JPG.986cee1053450fc11737fc0c5f2d11ee.JPG

IMG_6744.thumb.JPG.3720936028a1c89cb7c0d63bd1d153fd.JPG

IMG_6745.thumb.JPG.33d0ac2229e5565d89185a2406556050.JPG

Edited by Psyentist
Added pics
  • Like 6

These plants go for heaps of dough.

The one before this one went for $615, was a bit smaller.

• Like 1

Is that it's real colour? Looks trippy. Or is it just nutrient deficient or something. 

• Like 1

That would be its real colour zedo

have a variegated echinopsis in similiar colour 

nice and diplomatic there psyentist, I like it. jims special pach and jims special peru works for me.

• Like 3

Anyone have any pics of the mother plant at cactus country that PD took his cutting from?? 

The plant that is pictured in psyentists post looks pretty fucked up which i assume is PDs garden...

Id love to hear a bit more about that plant... like why PD was after it for so long and deserving of the label jims special?

And does jim hold that plant dear and sell it as anything else??

To me looking at the mother plant of jims pach it is obvious, beautiful plant... the above plant kinda looks like shit so either it is a powerful teacher or the mother plant looks a whole lot nicer???

• Like 2

The pics I put up of Jim's Special peru are from cactus country DB. Jim has started putting J numbers on other plants, not sure what number he's up to but I got a cut of J11 when I was there. As far as I know he hasn't numbered this one yet. 

Here's the story I got from Pd...

'The mother plant is much bigger than the one pictured (JS pach) and ive had my cutting growing in ground since 08 or 09, it had the label js from the day myself and sab member Marsha, formely known as yowie finally scored a cuttimg. We got half each.
I had asked Jim every visit to get a cut as he told me that that particular plant was "very strong" according to the one person who had purchased bulk from him (afaik the guy passed away some time ago but a couple of old sabbers knew him) anyways there is only the one big plant and Jim didnt wànna cut into it even though I had (after much persuasion) convinced him that such a plant has to be circulated throughout the community. He wanted it to gain more mass before letting it go. Finally though I managed one decent tip cutting. So the day I got it I knew what the name had to be and that it was the last old plant at jims that was imo worth goin in the J plant collection. 
Jim has alot of new hybrid trichos he was planting out when I stopped going out there ages ago but the J plants are all old originals apart from super ped and psycho.

Js is similar to j3 and it has that yellow blotching at times, wether it is from sucking insects or a virus im unsure but it shows in 2 or so other plants I have and some arms don't have it at all so its got me. Doesnt seem to affect growth for the most part.

So there ya go, I have given out 3 cuttings so far and another is going on eBay tonight or tomorrow with the other j clones. Ive waited years to get this one out there!!!'

• Like 4

Also, if anyone is interested, the eBay seller thelivingrock has some super nice variegated plants listed at the moment! A couple of peru's and a few lophs. 

And on top of them being super nice plants he's also a super nice guy! 

Get amongst it! :) 

• Like 4

Nice story thanks for sharing psyman.

Best i put it on the list :-)

• Like 1