The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemist

Looking for a wheatgrass juicer

G'day folks, due to some health problems, I've decided to try wheatgrass juice for a year. I already have a centrifugal juicer, but it is next to useless for juicing grass. To my horror, a hand powered wheatgrass juicer sold at a juice shop costs 120 dollars. I cant afford to spend this much so I'm wondering if anyone out there has a second hand one for a reasonable price, or knows where I can get one.

Email: [email protected]

Cheers :confused:

Just out of curiosity do you grow your own wheatgrass? And if you do, do you use one of those sprouters? i was thinking about buying a sprouter to grow my own wheatgrass and alfalfa and shit and wanted to know if they are worthwhile.

CS,

for wheatgrass (if you want a good constant supply) make a small hydroponic setup.

make a channel as wide and long as you'd like out of some plastic film, (panda film is nice and strong), have it on a slight slope with a feed hose at top of the channel (slow flowing) and keep it a closed system (recycle).

They are simple to setup, and you can basically grow the seed straight from the film, just as long as the feed tube is feeding a constant slow trickle, as to not dislodge the seed. You could also have them in seperate trays if you want.

Pump, resevoir, plastic film, few small hoses and the seed.

We tried this method next to a flood and drain on a felt like mat, and the channel grew much more vigorously with a larger yield in less time.

When harvest comes, it's as simple as lifting the grass out, and laying new seed on the film.

Yeah I grew my own but it tastes revolting, so I no longer use it. Its so revolting that I think it is unnatural for humans to drink it.

It makes you want to throw up. Silly books say its because it detoxifies the body so quickly, but ipecac syrup does the same and purifies nothing!

I'm now using recepies from Norman Walkers 'Raw vegetable Juices' Book. (they guy lived to well over 105 years)

I found a new plastic juicer for a cheap price of 65 dollars. Good for juicing leafy stuff like spinach, and lettuce and wheatgrass.

sprouts are easily done by adding seed to a jar( one third full) then a bit of moisture, not enough to drown the seeds just dampness. change the water each day until the sprouts fill your jar.

I picked up a Porkert juicer in Fremantle

hand operated

I forget the price

Suitable for Phalaris juice :D

now if only grain mills (even hand operated ones) weren't so freaking expensive

i'm in vic..has anyone in other states seen health food stores that offer freshly ground flours?

I am wondering if a juicer can juice a cactus....... i am guessing yes.

Hi Woof, no discussion about ingesting cacti please. Its surely possible to juice some despined opuntias as edible food but i dont want to have that kind of discussion here either because im pretty sure it wouldnt take long till it goes into the alkaloid direction. Thanks for understanding. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

EvilG,... thanks for pointing that out. Alkaloids and juicers dont go together. Got it!