The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

MSG poisoned?

I live in a small country town, who's local bowling club does Chinese takeaway from Thursday to Sunday. Not many people will eat there, my family refuse to go there after getting crook and ripped off.

Anyways genius me, with my daughter at home on holidays, with nothing to eat for dinner decided to give them a go. I've tried it before and it was pretty bland and overpriced, but hey I was hungry and the nearest takeaway or supermarket is 40mins drive away, and it's 8pm by this stage.

I go for a walk with my girl and our staffy to the bowlo, and spookily the Chinese lady is feeding a group of feral cats at the back foot of the bowlo kitchen, this is when I should of gone back home and made scrambled eggs, the only food in my house. Anyway I put in my order, honey chicken, combination chow mien and 6 prawn cutlets, quoted at 38 dollars. 20 minute! She says and slams the kitchen door with an air of "I'm fucking nuts". I go to the park with the fam in tow for half an hour, then go back. "Another half hour, very busy!" Fuk this I think and walk home then return half hour later in my car, "cooking now,15 minute!" And again with the slam of the door. Ohhhkay. Hang for 15 minutes then she storms out with a plastic bag full of hopefully Chinese food goodness. Then somehow 38 dollars has now turned into 51! I'm a pretty chillaxed dude but now even I am getting hot under the collar.

I tried to explain to her she quoted me 38 but she kept pointing to the Chinese saying 51 dollar! Good food 51 dollar! Seeing as I had a 50 i begrudgingly just gave her that and left her there yelling for the other dollar, daughter and staffy pretty freaked out.

Anyways got home dished it up, my daughter had the sense to have about three mouthfuls before she decided it tasted like shit and just ate the prawn cutlets. Me, being an idiot and very hungry, started wolfing it down. Almost instantaneously I got this weird feeling in my jaw, like a sensation of pressure, which continued as I ate it, and spread through my cheeks. An hour later my jaw cheeks and back of Neck felt so weird, like a strong pressure sensation and I was scared my jaw was gonna lock together. Even now at ten thirty the next night my jaw and cheeks still feel weird. All I canbput it down to is they have bathed that shit in msg, or maybe the chicken was off? My girl had no problems from the prawn cutlets.

Never ever ever ever again, alas I say that about kfc as well ;(

Edit- at no point did I feel physically ill, just the weird pressure sensation feeling in my jaw, neck cheeks, as far as I know I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients.

Edited by incognito

That is some expensive Chinese food. Fuck. It's interesting that you only felt these effects in the jaw area. If the chicken was off you'd feel it. Could it have been another ingredient? Additive? I'm only adding more questions so i'll stop.

yeah like I said I didn't feel sick AT ALL, stomach wasn't upset etc etc, just the WEIRD sensation in my jaw, cheeks and neck.

Trust me I know it was expensive I just couldn't have been bothered fucken around with her any longer, I was tired, hungry and frustrated and she was obviously quite mental

Edit- I actually found the food quite tasty, much more tasty than the times befor which makes me suspicious of msg.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

you have your gurl no fucken food and decide to eat @ bowls for china which u said your family doesn't eat there no more CAUSE ITS SHIT???

good choice dad?? FARK

I never said I'm father of the year :)

But hey she calls me her best friend and loved the prawn cutlets ;)

Edited by incognito
  • Like 8

Yah looks like I could be allergic to msg. I still have the "jaw tightness" today. Hope it goes away soon!

AFAIK there is no good evidence that MSG is bad for you at all

i know that sounds like an extraordinary claim considering that fear of MSG from chinese food is what kicked off the whole "oh food additives can be unhealthy" movement..... but its kind of like cannabis. people have tried pretty hard to prove that its bad for you, but it's just an amino acid preserved as salt more or less..

anyway that story is crazy, particularly the part where she is feeding stray cats

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

We'll I believe I'm allergic to something that was in that food, and the sensations fit the symptoms that are described in icecubes link.

Yeah I thought the feeding the cats at the Blackdoor of the kitchen was freakin weird, it's hard not to jump to conclusions, but I'm trying my darnedest to keep an open mind.

its weird to think you would have lived this many years, presumably eating anything and everything, without having discovered this food allergy yet...... so i guess maybe it's something that has developed/accumulated over time?

it's a very complicated topic which i know diddly fuck about!!!

• Like 1

Nah me neither mate, I'll steer clear of the place anyways my jaw just starting to come good now.

Yeah I thought the feeding the cats at the Blackdoor of the kitchen was freakin weird, it's hard not to jump to conclusions

Maybe your allergic to.......cats?

• Like 2

Well good news is today my jaw is just about back to normal. :)

$50 of misery...never again.........?

I'd would have lost my patience after the first 10mins of waiting...& just walked away ...back home to an omelet...

Edited by Dreamwalker.

I'm hopeful to a fault

You know as I get older I'm finding I am allergic to a few things. Pineapple makes my mouth swell up, and I feel I'm getting gradually more and more allergic to wheat dust.(I work at a grain depot) the wheat dust gives me asthma like symptoms, I'm fine with dust of the other grain like canola and barley. I once considered myself a robust kind of fellow, but I guess as I head toward my fortys (oh my god that freaks me out a little) I guess my immune system ain't as gnarly as it used to be.

Your sensitisation to wheat dust makes sense given your job, Id start looking for a new one.

Re the takeaway food: Id just put it down as a coincidence and see if it happens again.

I hate to state the obvious, but dust is a killer.........you don't wanta be in an environment where your breathing dust.........you've just 1 set of lungs, no job is worth sacrificing your life for....there's going to be a real cocktail in that dust, from bran husk,silica, chemical agricultural spray residue, wild yeasts & other micro-organisms.

• Like 2

True, a lot of the old timers lungs are stuffed. I always try and wear a dust mask.

Only one way to test the allergy theory - gotta go back to the restaurant :P :D

Don't order the Kree mov Sum yunguy, it's gotta be fucking suss... :blink:

As far as an increase in allergies goes, surely that would indicate a bit of immune dysfunction? :huh:

I'm with Dream Walker on this one; the shit we are willing to put onto our 'food' is fucking ridiculous, particular here in Aus. Let alone what we will put into/onto the ground we grow it out of. Commercial conventional farming is awash with strange and wonderful chemicals, many of which other countries have outright banned.

Keep yourself safe mate, and I hope you are feeling better soon.

• Like 1

You should write up a really bad review on google maps, that'll show em.

• Like 1