The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Presidente Hillbillios

Anyone used lotus root powder?

Hey guys,

My buddie bought this from the asian supermarket, i think he thought he was some kinda enthogen, but im not so sure LOL.

Has anyone used it before? Any ideas on what to do with it? We used to have one night a week eating things from the local international supermarket that we had no real idea what it was, some were winners some not so much.

10877780_10152465940825518_440975002_n.j

i haven't tried it but google says it is highly nutritious with good medical effect.

apparently you drink it and it promotes the production of saliva, stimulates your appetite, restores your lungs, promotes yin energy and nourishes your blood. sounds interesting

did you use it for things like tempura battering of seafood Hillbilly? Or maybe powdering up some eggplant slices and then fry em or something similar. I'd be cracking a beer and heating up some oil to drop things into.....yummy - who knows?

you can use it in asian cooking to thicken your sauces

Thanks guys, he said he made tea with it and it tasted worse than ass!

Fryin up some eggplant slices sounds like it might be the go eth. I thhink the closest he would get to making asian style sauce would be instant noodles LOL

I would use it on my cuttings

• Like 1

just rack up a line and snort some :P

• Like 2

Soups...

Never used it - lotus root is mainly eaten fresh or pickled, the taste isn't amazing but it has a good crunchy texture & mild sweet taste which are nice in curries, stirfries, etc. And the slices look really cool, like flywheels or something. But I can't imagine a dried powder being a culinary treat - it'd be like making flour from radishes or something. More likely it's meant for medicinal use, there's a few studies that suggest it might be good for fatty liver, reducing fat-based weight gain, and protecting the liver...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3228742/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2994372/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20804619

I'd feed it to the chooks and buy some fresh roots instead. Or even the pickled baby ones, just look how cool they are!

lotusplant1.jpg?w=1000&h=750

• Like 2