The Corroboree
toby

free A.obtusifolia seed

i have a similar problem with acacia in general. i recommend pouring on mildly hot water after scarification. after the seed has expanded removing the the seed coat.

i have also been experimenting with a small amount of vermiculite in the hole surrounding the seed as it germinates as i found the worms/grubs that eats the seeds dont travel into it.

i suspect that yours, like mine are being eaten by grubs.

Certainly could be grubs mate. I try to have a no kill policy in life so it may well be the problem. Saying that I did microwave the soil in the latest batch, but that's not gonna stop grubs after the fact I spose.

Be happy to hear some success stories from this batch though. Be nice to know if it is something I'm doing wrong. And what exactly the issue is.

Haven't had such a struggle with em before. Hostilis, acuminata, floribunda, courti, maideni... never had any issues previously in germination. It is my first tries at obtusifolia though.

Try nuking your media for 5mins a batch first, also I like to use vermiculite, at at least 1/3 of my mix, the other 2/3 being sand and seed raising mix. I used to use other acacia soils etc but the risk of what you talk about seems to get raised. The verm/sand/seedling mix combo is great

As obtuse said, you can do it like him.

Or you can do either scarification OR hot water but not both! I prefer hot water then a quick splash through a bleach solution (maybe 1 cap per cup) and then sow.

• Like 1

The more I've fluffed around with acacia seed the less success I've had. My approach now is pour boiling water over seeds. Those that swell go straight into moist native potting mix with the large woody chunks removed. More water poured over those seeds that didn't swell then same process repeated. They are in a shade house with good air circulation. Mist daily to keep moisture content up and patiently wait a couple weeks. Some germ really quick while others in the batch maybe a couple more weeks. Whenever I've tried to speed up the process or be fancy pants my success is low.

• Like 2

^^^ Yeah I agree totally. In fact with most seeds I take that attitude.

Like I said above, never had a problem with all the other similar species I've tried. Just this lot of seeds I'm struggling with.

Which is why I'm keen to hear success stories from the others who got some from this batch. A lot of the seeds are clearly immature and not fully developed, but even the ones that look OK won't germinate.

Hopefully someone else who got Toby's generous giveaway can chime in and disprove my growing doubt's :)

^^^ Yeah I agree totally. In fact with most seeds I take that attitude.

Like I said above, never had a problem with all the other similar species I've tried. Just this lot of seeds I'm struggling with.

Which is why I'm keen to hear success stories from the others who got some from this batch. A lot of the seeds are clearly immature and not fully developed, but even the ones that look OK won't germinate.

Hopefully someone else who got Toby's generous giveaway can chime in and disprove my growing doubt's :)

I've had success, keep trying ;-)

• Like 1

Good to hear dude. Will keep persisting :)

In my experience, I agree with upside. I don't scarify, I pour boiling water over the seeds into a cup (filling the cup with boiling water). I have been doing this in the morning and leaving the seeds (in the cup) on a table in the sun for the day. The swollen ones are planted, repeat process with the non-swollens... I've had an incredible level of success this season with this technique, with several varieties of acacia (including obtus.).

Edited by MountainGoat
  • Like 2

Cool.

Thanks for your input everyone. Its been a great help and is why this place is so great!!!

Got some more seeds soaking but minus the scarring. Slightly different soil mix too. Either way its nice to know the problem lies with me :)

And Toby, thanks again mate for the big bag of seeds you sent. Legend!

I had a pretty good germination by soaking in hot water overnight and spreading into a sandy earth straight in the ground.

No scarification or resoaking until swollen.

Estimate 60-70%, definitely more germination than just the swollen ones, pretty much full sun. Just potted up 10 into small tubes, and left another 10 or so as they are. Bit close together but see how it goes!

• Like 2

Toby, can you id seeds? i got a few of Brians olld seed still here, with nothing written on them.

I had a pretty good germination by soaking in hot water overnight and spreading into a sandy earth straight in the ground.

No scarification or resoaking until swollen.

Estimate 60-70%, definitely more germination than just the swollen ones, pretty much full sun. Just potted up 10 into small tubes, and left another 10 or so as they are. Bit close together but see how it goes!

Cheers for the progress report mate. Nice one.

Will probably be able to narrow them down to a few things! I know he collected some obtusifolia and something he was unsure of? I'll definitely take a look!