The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
earthalchemist

Macrozamia communis (Budawong palm)

it's actually a cycad not a palm ...

i've got a few of these incredibly large and beautiful seeds. if anyone is interested email me

any germination tips would be great too smile.gif

I spent the whole day (well just this morning) searching the web for germination tips for this cycad. Nothing frown.gif

But... one web site said that the seeds germinated easily but no instructions on how frown.gif

I'll try some other sources if I stumble onto them.

E D

the only advice i've found is:

sow in compost at 75 deg C in the dark. they will germinate sporadically over months.

check them periodically, as some may produce a root but no shoot. if this is the case, pot them up in sand/peat 1:1 3-4" pot ...

one problem i have is how far to strip back the seed? there is the fleshy fruit, then a thin casing, then a fleshy seed that somewhat resembles a lychee ... i was thinking just remove the fruit and plant in the casing?

i would plant it with the casing on. Don't know if it would survive if this was removed as rot might take hold.

I finally found a site with some tips / instructions:

http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/horticulture/seeds.htm

It doesn't mention removing the casing but does mention a problem with fungi rotting the seed if not cleaned well or kept to damp.

He suggests placing the seed on some sand and covering with perilite. Reducing fungul growth.

E D

ps. still looking for more info. wink.gif

Got the seeds. Thanks.

Have a problem with removing the flesh from the seed without damaging the casing (and seeing the transparent "lychee" type material inside. I have soaked them now and will try removing them later. There was also some fungus already on the flesh when it arrived. I quickly sterilised it in a dilute solution of sodium hypochloride. Will see if they germinate after all this. Thanks again.

E D

i found the same site ed smile.gif

i cut the fleshy fruit off with a knife, kind of like you would an avocado, had no problems.

i don't think it matters if the casing is damaged too much, as i think this is what that article speaks of when removing and cleaning the seed.

i dissected one as described and found that the lychee wink.gif was perfectly smooth, with no sign of the growth that the article mentions.

so i think we have to store these for up to 12 months more (i'll check with the source tonight and see how old the cone was when i got the seed) before attempting germination. i'm going to check also on best methods for storage. if you haven't removed the flesh from all the seed it maybe a good idea to leave them for the time being.

So what did the source say? Do we need to age them for another 11-12 months!!

After soaking them for two days in water I again tried to remove the flesh carefully (on an already damaged seed) but ended up taking most of the husk off. The flesh seems to be very attached to the husk.

The lychee material is very smooth like you said and I couldn't find any growth in it as well.

A weird seed tho' by the way!! confused.gif

E D

hey ed

well the source said the cone was falling apart when he brought it to me ... i haven't checked the article again but i think that means we can sow. the article is a bit unclear, but i think it meant they were ready to sow once the embryo was full length inside the seed coat, and it is ... let me know what you think.

strange that you're having so much trouble getting the red flesh off, i had no problems at all. how was the seed when it arrived?

they've got to be one of the strangest things i've ever seen ... i've got some photos of the seed cone (?) so i'll try and post them ... be patient, i've never worked with images before smile.gif

Hiya, after a discussion of seed germination with an older friend, she stated that the seed should be cleaned, then placed on its edge, germination eye pointing horizontally, and up on its side, the more narrower of the faces down.Only in half way, iuf not just on the surface. Germination will take from 10 months to two years!! But be patient, they will germinate. Keep damp.

Hope this helps....

D

Germination will take from 10 months to two years!!

excellent. a great chance to practice patience smile.gif thanks dutchie!

What you are talking about is the whole endosperm of the seed. The embryo would be a small thing in the middle of that. You can cut a seed in half but miss the middle where the embryo is.

Try to find the center and see what you find. If it is really solid without an embryo, you have nothing, if there is a full embryo that takes up all the air space, the seeds need to go down now.

this from tom @ cycad jungle. i'm going to dissect another seed and see what's going on, failing that i'll just send some to him to look at. Ed, you might want to keep them damp in a sterile medium until we get this one figured out smile.gif

HIya Ea, This plant is not a cycad either. Cycads display a central vein down each leaflet, whereas this species does not. This key is one the easiest ways to tell macrozamia and leptozamia's from cycads.

Ea and Ed,Why do you need to look further, I just gave you precise details on how to germinated the seed?

looking at the deatils given re the embryo, this would only tell you if the seed is viable still or dead, would be a good idea to cut one open....

...Just dont plant the whole seed in, olny half to 1/4 of the seed.

Oh yeah, and I have seen these babies she grew from seed around 10years ago, beautiful plants.... One of my favourate..

Cycads display a central vein down each leaflet, whereas this species does not. This key is one the easiest ways to tell macrozamia and leptozamia's from cycads.

i had no idea smile.gif

Ea and Ed,Why do you need to look further, I just gave you precise details on how to germinated the seed?

weeeeeell ... just curious ?

i'd rather store them than sow if possible ... wouldn't want to be lugging ungerminated trays around for the next 2 years

thanks for the help dutchie smile.gif

No probs EA, good luck with the germination, you can also use native tubes for the seed, nice and small in diameter and deep enough for a decent root system.

All the best

D

Bad news, I have lost most of the seeds to the dreaded fungus. frown.gif

Good news is that two seeds are left and I have spinkled some anti-fungal powder on them and will keep them damp but not to wet (not that the others were very wet at all).

Would it be wise to keep them indoors over the winter or do they need a cool period to initiate germination?

E D

send me another envelope ed and i'll send you some more ... i'm getting a whole lot more soon.

on temp ... assuming we've got at least 12 months (i spoke to someone who waited two years)i don't think leaving them out over winter will matter at all smile.gif