The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Psychotic child cheeseburger cult goes nuts in WA

Eating more nuts and greens, whole foods, and such cut aggressive behavior in kids studied over in WA.

If junior is misbehaving, kale the bastard!

Leafy greens reduce aggressive behaviour in adolescents

High magnesium intake has been associated with reduced aggressive behaviour in WA adolescents, highlighting the importance of a magnesium-rich diet in emotional and behavioural health.

While previous research has linked low dietary zinc and magnesium to increased anxiety and depressive behaviours in adults, Senior Research Officer at the Telethon Kids Institute, Dr Lucinda Black, says less is known about its effect on the mental health of children.

"Unfortunately, mental health problems are very common in Australia and worldwide, and many of these problems develop during adolescence," says Dr Black.

"We wanted to capture the broad spectrum of mental health difficulties that may affect adolescents, and those include internalising behaviours such as being withdrawn, depressed and anxious, as well externalising behaviours such as attention problems and aggression."

Dr Black's team used data collected at the 14- and 17-year follow-up of the Western Australian Pregnancy Cohort (Raine) Study, one of the world's largest prospective pregnancy cohort studies which continues to add to a collection of over 85,000 measures of health and disease for each participant.

At each follow-up, the teenagers completed a 118-point questionnaire to measure emotional and behavioural problems, and a 212-item food frequency questionnaire, with daily estimates of zinc and magnesium intake calculated by the CSIRO using the Australian Nutrient Database and international micronutrient guides.

Adjusting for potential confounding variables including physical activity, BMI, family-functioning and household income, zinc and magnesium intakes were statistically analysed to determine the presence or absence of an independent relationship with internalising and externalising behaviour scores.

More nuts and greens, please

The results revealed a significant inverse association between magnesium and externalising behaviours in the adolescents: eating more magnesium reduced the incidence of attention problems and aggression.

However, the trend towards reduced externalising behaviour and increased zinc intake did not reach statistical significance, and there were no significant associations between internalising behaviours and zinc or magnesium.

Dr Black says previous research suggests magnesium supplements may be beneficial in treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), with magnesium acting as a potent antagonist (blocker) of a receptor complex involved in aggression, agitation and irritability.

"It's certainly important to include magnesium-rich foods in the diet, such as green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds and whole grains. These foods are often lacking in the diet of adolescents and the wider community.

"The link between nutrition and mental health is often overlooked, and we hope that this study will highlight the importance of a healthy diet in the emotional and behavioural health of adolescents."

[Link]

• Like 2

i actually like kale, why does everyone bag it so?

edit: put in in a mushroom stir-fry with mentsuyu it's delicious

Edited by DiscoStu
  • Like 1

Yeah man, kale is awesome. I put it in everything, even oatmeal sometimes.

I think it gets bad press because, as something thats like the icon of healthy, self destructive cheeseburger death zombies cant tolerate being near it.

Like garlic to a vampire.

• Like 2

WTF, they're putting magnesium in our drinking water to curb our aggression?

I demand all magnesium be removed from my water!

Yeah man, its a conspiracy by the illuminati to control world populations. It was one of their first major projects after they accidentally discovered its aggression pacifying properties in 1808 while looking for contraceptives to put into englands drinking water. Here you can see how they did chemtrails before jets as a man burns magnesium to taint the worlds oceans in 1931 (the oceans didnt originally have magnesium, you know, the illuminati gets their supply from aliens)

776px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-12062%2C_Was

• Like 2

WTF, they're putting magnesium in our drinking water to curb our aggression?

I demand all magnesium be removed from my water!

funny if joking.

cheapshot if serious.