The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Roopey

Queen of Herbs - Plectranthus amboinicus

I just wanted to share my love of this plant with everyone! It is easily one of my favorite plant friends right now as it is just so useful for so many things and it's just fucking delicious. P. amboinicus is known by a very many names since everywhere that the herb is cultivated seems to want to claim it as their own: Cuban Oregano, Mexican Mint, Indian Borage, Guyaneye Thyme, Spanish Thyme, French Thyme. Obviously no one can seem to decide if it's more like mint, oregano, or thyme, which is why it is sometimes referred to as the three-in-one plant, allherb, or Queen of Herbs. It is, ironically, actually from Africa even though none of it's known names mention Africa at all. It is a widely known herb in the old world tropics for it's many medicinal properties and culinary uses.

First thing I'm going to share are some simple recipes for some awesome dishes that utilize this plant.

Guyanese Garlic Pork

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 10 people

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 kgs. pork
  • 4 sprigs thyme
  • 4 heads garlic
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • pepper to taste *Scotch Bonnet
  • oil for deep fat fry

METHOD / DIRECTIONS:

1. Strip garlic, chop thyme, add salt and mix well.
  2. Cut pork in bite sizes.
  3. Parboil pork in water for 20 minutes. Drain.
  4. In jar or earthenware, place pork and garlic mixture. Pour on vinegar, cover and allow to stand for 1-4 days.
  5. Remove from jar and deep fat fry.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken

1. 8 scallions, chopped
  2. 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
  3. 3 Scotch bonnet chiles, chopped
  4. 1 small onion, chopped
  5. 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  6. 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
  7. 2 tablespoons ground allspice
  8. Salt
  9. 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
  10. 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  11. 1/2 cup white vinegar
  12. 1/4 cup soy sauce
  13. 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  14. 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  15. 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  16. Three 4-pound chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
  17. Freshly ground pepper

Method:

1. In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients except the chicken and process to a paste. Put the chicken pieces in a very large bowl and pour the marinade on top. Toss to coat the chicken thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  2. Light a grill. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, leaving on a coating of spice paste. Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, turning often, until the skin is nicely charred and the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve.

In both of these recipes when they say Thyme they are referring to P. amboinicus. In the Caribbean Broadleaf Thyme is widely used in many dishes and along with the Scotch Bonnett chili to give the dishes that proper Caribbean flare. In Guyana, where my family is from, it is widely used in almost every dish including curries, fish, poultry, and dips.

Wiki has this to say:

The leaves are strongly flavoured and make an excellent addition to stuffings for meat and poultry. Finely chopped, they can also be used to flavour meat dishes, especially beef, lamb and game. Such use as a flavouring and its geographic spread is indicated by some of the common names, and documented for Cambodia[5]and South Africa[1] It is also used as a vegetable, for example in South East Asia.[1] The herb is used as a substitute for oregano in the food trade and food labelled "oregano-flavoured" may well contain this herb.

The leaves have also had many traditional medicinal uses, especially for the treatment of coughs, sore throats and nasal congestion, but also for a range of other problems such as infections, rheumatism and flatulence. The plant is cultivated in home-gardens throughout India for use in traditional medicine, being used to treatmalarial fever, hepatopathy, renal and vesical calculi, cough, chronic asthma, hiccough, bronchitis, helminthiasis, colic, convulsions, and epilepsy,[2] Shenoy and others[9] refer to further Indian traditional medicinal uses such as for skin ulcerations, scorpion bite, skin allergy, wounds, diarrhoea, with emphasis on the leaves being used as a hepatoprotective, to promote liver health. In Indonesia Plectranthus amboinicus is a traditional food used in soup to stimulate lactation for the month or so following childbirth. In Cambodia[5] 2 uses are recorded: juice from the leaves is sweetened and then given to children as protection from colds; and leaves are applied to the lips. In Bahia, Brasil, people use the plant to treat skin lesions caused by Leishmania braziliensis.[10] Just to the north, in Paraiba of the same country, the plant was extremely commonly known for use in home medication.[6] As noted above, medicinal use also occurs in Southern India, it also documented[1] in other parts of South East Asia and South Africa.

Other uses[1] include as an ornamental, and for its essential oils.

It truly is a beautiful plant, that is extremely easy to propagate via cuttings. In another thread on here someone mentioned it being a great smoke admixture, although, surprisingly, I have yet to try this out and will let you know my thoughts on the matter once I have tried it a few times.

If anyone has any cool recipes or uses for this plant, please do not hesitate to post it up here! I no longer have my copy of "How to use Herbs in my Daily Life," so if anyone has a copy please post any interesting facts in there about this interesting and delicious plant!

• Like 4

Would you happen to have any seeds to share?? :) just finished reading ur post :) or cuttings?

Edited by in_spirit

haha i was just thinking the same thing as I was reading.

Would you happen to have any seeds to share?? :) just finished reading ur post :) or cuttings?

yummy as good on pizza too. I have loads of this mr spriit

Roopy aint in Australia anymore, just so you all know getting seeds or cuttings aint so easy LOL

Rooopy change your location LOL

• Like 1

Roopy aint in Australia anymore, just so you all know getting seeds or cuttings aint so easy LOL

I have loads

Yeah i seen the video LOL

bastard

• Like 2

cummon, you set me up for that one

bitch??

• Like 1

my nana and pop have this growing in their garden, it can be readily propagated by cuttings.

Pretty sure I have a variegated variety of this guy.

• Like 1

Endorfinder, you are the real queen of herbs :P

• Like 1

In the most very-gay-ted sense possible... *groan*

• Like 1

Fixed.

Sorry guys, I can only send cuttings around the US these days.

Pizza is a great idea, will have to chuck some on my next pie. :)

Edited by Roopey
  • Like 1

I have loads

Hey bullit is this you offering cuttings?? Pm you mate!