The Corroboree
hostilis

The Spineless Trichocereus Scopulicola Project

So koehres has some Trichocereus scopulicola seeds. Have any of you grown these out? I'm not sure how long they've been listed. I do remember looking for them several times and not finding them. I hope they're legit because I ordered 1000 of them! I will update with pics once they're germinated. Going to graft one or two and see if they're legit (virtually) spineless scopulicola.

Oh yeah, here's the link: http://www.koehres-kaktus.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=trichocereus+scopulicola&categorie_id=0&x=0&y=0

Edited by hostilis

thanks! yes Scop seed has been hard to get in the last few years. I like Koehres, its a pleasure to deal with real professionals.

• Like 1

I ordered 200 and plan on sowing them soon. Someone on the fb page reported really good germ rates on these a couple of weeks ago.

SS is also offering scopulicola seeds right now, but theyre a lot more expensive.

• Like 2

Köhres Scop Seed is very fresh and pure! Just asked them about them!

does this mean scopulicola is self fertile?

• Like 1

A mate of mine has just crossed 2 different spineless scops and the fruit is forming. One parent is fat, the other is super fat. There should be plenty seed to go round in a few weeks.

• Like 9

Yes, I believe scops may be self fertile. I got some seed from a guy in Germany who confirmed he had no other trichs blooming at the time

Edited by Ohlone
  • Like 1

Haclon Daze, would you please contact me when those seeds are available? I thought all trichs were self sterile? And zelly, there's a few different spineless scop clones floating around I believe. I was just talking about this with somebody over at STS.

I have recently seen heaps of scops for sale in at bunnings and saw a couple dozen in at a kmart a couple of weeks ago

Yes, I believe scops are self fertile. I got some seed from a guy in Germany who confirmed he had no other trichs blooming that season

The ones I own that have flowered don't seem to be.

I wish they sold spineless scops in stores here in the US. I have so much trouble finding legit spineless ones.

Collecters corner/ paradisia always had heaps of scop seedlings available down in vic

Yes, I believe scops are self fertile. I got some seed from a guy in Germany who confirmed he had no other trichs blooming that season

Maybe some bat/moth carried pollen from another tricho nearby and pollinated it?

:)

Here's the result of my communication with Koehres..

Koehres answer:

hello
they are wild collected
Bettina
Besuchen Sie unsere Webseite: www.koehres-kaktus.de
Am 02.12.2014 09:48, schrieb MYSUBTLEASCENTION MYSUBTLEASCENTION:

My question:

Good morning to you Bettina..

It is important for me to know if those seeds were collected from open pollinated spineless scopulicola plant .. or if they're the result of hand made pollination between two spineless scopulicola parrents..

Thanks for the help ..

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 1

and a further development ..

Koehres answer:

guess so
Am 02.12.2014 16:14, schrieb MYSUBTLEASCENTION MYSUBTLEASCENTION:

My question:

Wild collected in South America?

I thought I read that scoplicola has no records in the wild

But I got a few trichocereus species from koehres that weren't as list, so now I want to order a pack to see how it will grow to be

• Like 1

Hmmm, wild collected? Maybe these turn out as some nearly spineless pach. Anything but cuzcos again, koehres :/

• Like 1

Koehres answer:

we have a supplier in Peru who is travelling the fields
kind Regards
Bettina
Am 02.12.2014 16:14, schrieb MYSUBTLEASCENTION MYSUBTLEASCENTION:

Koehres answer:

We can rely on our supplier,I already contacted him,maybe he got some plants in his garden,I don't know
kind Regards
Bettina Koehres
Am 02.12.2014 17:00, schrieb MYSUBTLEASCENTION MYSUBTLEASCENTION:

apparently the seeds arrived from South America but no exact information on the pollination is available at present ..

:)

Those expensive SS seeds are sounding better and better.

• Like 3

http://sacredsucculents.com/cactaceae/

quote:

"Our Trichocereus bloom profusely every year. This has gifted us the opportunity to experiment with hybridizing by hand pollination.

The following seed is the result."

scopulicola seeds are listed before the ss hybrids .. probably open pollination.. otherwise should be specified as hybrid seeds..

Naw, I think Ben usually notes when it's an open pollination.

Kinda wishing I didn't get 1000 of those Koehres T. scopulicola now. Seems like they really have no clue if the seed is pure. Maybe I'll order some of the SS seeds.

I hope they're legit because I ordered 1000 of them!

Köhres Scop Seed is very fresh and pure!

Yes, I believe scops are self fertile.

they are wild collected

We can rely on our supplier,I already contacted him,maybe he got some plants in his garden,I don't know

"Our Trichocereus bloom profusely every year. This has gifted us the opportunity to experiment with hybridizing by hand pollination.

The following seed is the result."

so from fresh & pure to maybe collected from the guys garden, who really knows?

and if scops are so supposedly self fertile, and Ben knowing pure strain scop seeds are so highly demanded, dotcha think he would have selfed his scop many times over?

a few pics aimed at hostilis..... :wink:

scop open pollinated (last yrs seeds)

post-3765-0-97790800-1417556011_thumb.jp

does one look variegated?

post-3765-0-05097800-1417556140_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-97790800-1417556011_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-05097800-1417556140_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-97790800-1417556011_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-05097800-1417556140_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I ordered some scop hybrids from you recently zelly, but I am realy wanting to find some pure spineless scop seeds. Haclone daze's seeds sound like the best bet so far. Even if I could find 10-20 pure bred spineless scop seeds I'd be super happy. I just want to get a couple more clones of spineless scop floating around.

raining big time here atm, but in a day or so I'll post up pics of several scop x huancabamba seedings I've got growing that are spineless, or very near spineless. Biggest is around a meter tall, very scopish looking

and a very tiny yet maturing fruit of scop x huarazensis should surely result in fat scop looking spineless plants as well

hopefully HD's friend has taken pics of his two scops flowering & mating and can share them with us

• Like 2