The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rabelais

Gutted

Gutted - such a powerful word.

So for the last few years I have been absolutely slogging my guts out at architecture school. Dean's roll of excellence, finalist in a major national student architecture competition...just generally going hard and leaving nothing on the table.

It all culminated a few weeks ago when I flew interstate for an interview with a major capital city architecture firm that I was recommended to above all the other students at my university. It went great and I was offered the position. I was just asked to take a few days to consider the offer since it involved big life-changes....but I didn't really need to think, it was my dream job. Took the few days and confirmed that I wanted the job.

One week went by, no news. Got in contact today and was told that I didn't have the position and they wished me well in all future endeavours.

Now I have to tell my friends and family...they were so happy and proud of me. I've been staring at the wall all day in a trance.

Gutted...that feeling of wanting to crawl in a hole and never come out...no way I'm sleeping tonight...my brain is a loop of the last few weeks.

yeah man, know how you feel.

i have had two dramatic things come up this year that have made me feel gutted.

dont dwell too deeply thinking and rethinking what you could have done differently. take some time to chill on it, take some deep breathes, its out of your hands, tell your family and friends, they will be dissapointed for you i know. go out there and take that dream job on your terms, you worked hard and can do it.

obtuse,

Thanks, man.

I know I can pick myslef up, just a heavy load and feeling really stupid for not telling everyone before I was sitting in the office. Thanks again.

sends hug*

bastages aren't they

wishing you clarity and peace of mind as soon as possible

and a re-rail from somebody who's worth your time and skill.

_Horsey

That sucks man, but there is no point in getting worked up over things you have no control over. I am sure something good will come along eventually :)

I'll go with Kris ;)

Hope to return to this thread one day in the future and put a proverbial stroke through it. Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone.

It says as much about the company as it does about you :wink:

Thats worth a mention.....

If you study well and can apply it....you'll do well

That really sucks man.

A very similar thing happened to me after uni -Gas and Petroleum Officer with the WA gov. After a massive interview process I was told to pack my bags etc, My family was so excited and so was my GF who was listening in on the big phone call.

First they postponed for a fortnight, then a month, then kept me dangling. In the end they only hired for 3 of the original 5 positions.

The hardest thing was explaining to people why I hadn't started the job yet, I wasn't even sure what was going on myself.

'Gutted' was definitely the right word for it. I decided to go adventuring in PNG just to help me get over it.

life will throw shit up....fate seems to set you up sometimes by raising your hopes/expectations ...then drops you from a height...to splat..........we have all been there....... waterboy makes a good point...sounds like you've got some real sound credibility re grades.........keep knocking at doors you'll get there... family & friends will give sympathy & support...the company let you down ...& seems to lack the basic courtesy to have promptly apologised for their error.

Gotta kiss a a few flogs before you get your prince.

Sounds like a big company, iv always been sceptical of big orgs, they run chaos.

Keep at it!

at least they thought you were good enough to fly to HQ and offer you a job, that means you're better than most and i'm sure you'll land another position in no time,

besides, in the words of our Magnificent and Dear Leader: Shit Hapens