The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
waterboy 2.0

Arnica montana

never grown it before....its kinda purdy the first of a few flowers....it struggled in its first year so I decided to knock it up ito larger pot with a homebrew soil mix...it liked that......

now I have an idea of what it likes culture wise....it can also take freezing cold and wet in its stride....

DSCF2869rotate_zps1c342be2.jpg

from Wiki

Arnica montana is endemic to Europe, from southern Iberia to southern Scandinavia and the Carpathians. It is absent from the British Isles and the Italian and Balkan Peninsulas. A. montana grows in nutrient-poor siliceous meadows up to nearly 3,000 metres (9,800 ft). It is rare overall, but may be locally abundant. It is becoming rarer, particularly in the north of its distribution, largely due to increasingly intensive agriculture. In more upland regions, it may also be found on nutrient-poor moors and heaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnica_montana

has some interesting properties, but my interest in it happened a long while ago when handed a ointment that was to be used for brusing...lol...like mass multicoloured, wtf type of brusing....and was pretty impressed with the results. I still pretty much have some at hand for the rare "big jobs"...lol....but its not for use if you are busted open and bleeding on the outside.

• Like 6

do u have a. cordifolia ? they wouldnt grow up here :unsure:

Edited by bullit

No bro haven't grown it....they will illegal in qld next week...lol :wink:

It is also worth noting that it produces Helenalin, and this is considered toxic...not for internal use.

A.montana is self fertile so should be able to propogate it on ok, can also be divided when older apparently. So I'll be punching a few out over time.

Lesson number one was it needs a good depth of soil to punch the roots down, second it doesnt like much nutrient, third it likes constant moisture.

• Like 1

yeah i heard it was toxic in big amounts. fucken QLD and its cool rules :scratchhead: i wanna try growing this, way better than comfrey for oilment i think. i have a fair few cold climate herbs/plants most struggle but i think it can be done.. also the heart shape leaves on a. cord look cool too..

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

might be the roots are getting too hot bull bull ?

mulch the shit out it? and if in pots double pot to keep heat down off the root zone?

actually might not be able to go to dormancy, tip a bag or two of ice over the roots?

works for Darlington californica (cobra lily) but thats got some particular culture conditions going on.

Dunno...thoughts out aloud

might help with cordifolia, I reckon montana would be a greater challenge up your way.

With that said you are welcome to some seed mate when it puts it out :wink:

Its hairy as, got trichomes all over the stems.

The old bird I get my arnica ointment off makes an arnica + comfrey one, I've never tried it though.

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1