The Corroboree
doxneed2c-me

Help Harvesting and Sterilizing Orchid Seeds

Can someone explain or share some literature explaining how to harvest and sterilize Orchid seeds or the best way to propagate them from pods?

My understanding is that you shouldnt steralise orchid seeds.

some orchids depend on extremely specific mycorrhizal fungi in order to germinate and/or establish, the sterilisation may remove or diminish the hormones present in the seed coat that signal the necessary mycorrhizal fungi.

• Like 1

If you are wanting to sterilise them I'm guessing you want to grow them in tissue culture gel. If so, what I have read is you can use a 1% bleach solution to sterilise the unopened pods, soaking it for 20mins, then crack open the pod (in a flow hood or glove box) and spread the seeds out onto the gel. Or 3% to 5% hydrogen peroxide with 20g per litre sugar overnight will also sterilise the pods. but first rinse the pods under tap water for 5 mins. The seeds should be sterile inside the pod if it hasn't been damaged. That's all I got.

• Like 1

Call an orchid lab. They usually do the sterilising, all you've gotta do is harvest the pod at the right time.

• Like 2

Youse are all pretty much on the money

If you don't have a TC lab, find one to do it for you, will prolly cost as much as setting up benchspace at your place

Pick only unblemished pods. Make sure you leave the stem on or wherever the stem leaves the pod will be prone to fungal attacks

Then sterilise and open in flow hood

• Like 1

Bah I am going to contact the Orchid society around here and give them the 4-5 pods I have.

• Like 1

That's a good fast and dirty solution if you aren't likely to be able to monitor and work with an experiment for a month or more :)

If it's a really interesting orchid and you find someone to germinate it for you, ask for some progeny in exchange

Go to your local orchid club. There are usually a number of people with facilities for flasking seed & often times they are happy to show you first hand how its done.

You will likely make new friends & will certainly learn more than you could imagine.

Just my 2c worth

• Like 1