The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamwalker.

graft? scion grows roots..cut?or not?

So some of my graft scions develop roots ...that may eventually push/lift them off the root stock.

Not sure why some chose to do this..

Is the normal practice to attempt to cut the roots off, or accept them & remove & plant the scion?

I have had this happen a couple of times and just let them do their own thing. Once with a loph where it eventually pushed itself off the stock so I just planted it. Like a pre rooted degrafted pup. And I have a peru crest grafted on peres that has a few roots at the moment. It is still growing fast and can't push itself off the rootstock so I am just going to leave it for now

• Like 1

I saw a think by hostilis( I think) where he used the roots to his advantage and attached a little bag of dry mix to the area where the roots where developing so it was prerooted before degrafting, gotta be honest that saves a lot of time and energy

• Like 1

Just cut off what´s in the way. Cacti are very resilient and i cut my Stock all the Time if they develop something that may at some point endanger the Graft. Shouldnt be a problem.

• Like 1

I had a pere rot the other day on a 1.5 year graft, the scion of which had been shriveled all this year but has some roots on it... I noticed some new roots after I cut off the rotted base of the pere and decided Id just replant it with a couple inches of good stock into soil to where the roots on the scion would be dangling into rich moist soil... when potting I noticed what looked like a root which had grown down through the pere and was trying to poke out.. I should have taken a pic ... they're some tough roots lol

• Like 1