The Corroboree
gtarman

What is the most delicious gourmet mushy?

My favourite is easily fresh porcini (Boletus edulis).

Agreed! Better than Perigold truffles IMO, and I'm comparing fresh local with dried imported Kings.

They can be found in the Adelaide hills from March to early July. I don't believe they fruit anywhere else in Australia currently, but I may be wrong. I'd love to know if people have found them elsewhere.

I haven't confirmed it yet - but I'm told they might be found at a few specific locations*1 in Southern NSW, and I've been shown a photo of one possible found at the most likely site. The picture I was shown was poor quality, and the mushroom was badly maggotted. Apparently one related Bolete has been found in the area. If I find one I'll post pictures - but given the small size of the areas relative to the Adelaide Hills I won't post the locations

*1 Where the right species of trees were imported prior to the inception of AQIS

They are amazing fresh just fried in butter or olive oil, even a combination of both butter and olive oil is good.

I like them marinated in Olive oil with a dash of Tamari.

Even after AQIS plantation owners were allowed to import soil below pinus radiata from europe to improve mycrohizal load of the soil around trees so its possible.

i have a lead on Boletus edulis and possibly Hypholoma capnoides in victoria ill be checking out in april