The Corroboree
gtarman

What is the most delicious gourmet mushy?

After following some of the awesome grows in the SAB gallery over the last few years, and a few threads...it's become clear to me that there are many more types of gourmet mushrooms than I've ever had the opportunity to taste-test, let alone see in person. So I figured it would be fun to create a gourmet-mushroom bucketlist of sorts.

So what's your favourite (culinary :P) mushroom? And how might I go about finding some of it to try? And what sort of food does it go well with/in? You may commence making my mouth water. Lengthy descriptions of food and pictures of said food would also score bonus points :drool2:

Gman

My favourite is easily fresh porcini (Boletus edulis). They can be found in the Adelaide hills from March to early July. I don't believe they fruit anywhere else in Australia currently, but I may be wrong. I'd love to know if people have found them elsewhere.

They are amazing fresh just fried in butter or olive oil, even a combination of both butter and olive oil is good.

My favourite is to slice the stem thinly, about half a millimetre to one millimetre and then fry till caramel coloured and crispy. Absolutely FUCKING AMAZING! Has a sweet nutty flavour. I just like to fry them up and eat them straight out of the pan. Too damn good to dilute with other food. ;)

Some pics of one of my hauls from this year is found on this thread, post # 52 http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36644&page=3

• Like 3

Not on topic but I've taken to grabbing two or three fresh cup?i mushrooms from the bag-your-own bin at the supermarket and eating them like an apple as soon as ive paid for them. They're among the softest and juiciest of the solid foods and seem almost slightly sweet although that cant be right can it?

Its hard to eat something unhealthy if you choose fresh edible mushies, greens or vegetables. Fruit and nuts are often safe choices too.

fkn morels man , rawrz, :drool2: mind you, hen of the woods is a close second... but still ....

morchella!

morels1.jpgMorels-are-hollow.jpg

can get em in march april (spring) here,,, in woodmulch n orchards... especially ones with with burn-sites

and dried on ebay from EU is the only other place i sourced em

should i need warn about false morels and their nastiness? dont eat false morels ;) ... real ones are always hollow and look like the above

oh yeah thunder, expose them supermarket ones to sunlight for an hourish maybe 2 ...before munching onnem to boost vit d production by about 200 percent i thnk , i frgot how much exactly but is a lottt - down to em growing in the dark

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

Oh, candy cap whip cream, my new obsession, first had it on boletus edulus pancakes with wild berry compote.

• Like 1

Morels look strangely delicious. What do they taste like? And how would one eat a morel?

And what is this chicken of the woods? (Anchorman 2 reference up in there!)

• Like 1

Personally like blewits but black trumpets, porcini, chanterelles and morels usually rated the highest

• Like 2

definitely shiitake and black cloud ear for me. shiitakes are like vegan bacon when fried up with some olive oil and thyme. YUM

• Like 2

Shimeji is my favourite du jour

Fresh porcini and perigord truffles are a tie as second

• Like 2

phronima - which species for the Shimeji? They're are various kinds of 'shimeji'.

• Like 2

Sorry I should be more specific. I like buna-shimeji, also known as hypsizygus tessellatus

• Like 1

Morels look strangely delicious. What do they taste like? And how would one eat a morel?

And what is this chicken of the woods? (Anchorman 2 reference up in there!)

recipe for morels, they taste like heaven and also help with stress.. my elder taught me they were some kind of brain tonic...

. i often just sprinkle a dried one or two into anything I'm cooking (main meal or starter usually)

as if it was a bunch of coarsly ground black pepper..

http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/cooking-morel-mushrooms.html

recipe for chicken of woods n description

http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/chicken-of-the-woods.html

hen of the woods

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/grifola_frondosa.html

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

Oh, candy cap whip cream, my new obsession, first had it on boletus edulus pancakes with wild berry compote.

rawrz :drool2: I'm dying to try candy caps ... they look so nice and mmm the phenominal idea of dessert mushrooms :wub:

can they be sourced dried often do you know?

definitely shiitake and black cloud ear for me. shiitakes are like vegan bacon when fried up with some olive oil and thyme. YUM

i cant wait to try this for a perfect holiday brunch, thanks for the insp,

i just saw both at the chinese supermarket yesterday for the frst time in dried packs, shelf was empty for the black clouds tho,

...definitely next time

nice to find a source of these, mindpost-14443-0-61939200-1413276149_thumb.j for when the freshies at the reg supermarket run out

*trots off to the garden for fresh thyme

DSC00088.JPG

DSC00088.JPG

• Like 1

i cant wait to try this for a perfect holiday brunch, thanks for the insp,

i just saw both at the chinese supermarket yesterday for the frst time in dried packs, shelf was empty for the black clouds tho,

...definitely next time

nice to find a source of these, mindattachicon.gifDSC00088.JPG for when the freshies at the reg supermarket run out

*trots off to the garden for fresh thyme

make sure to give the shiitakes a nice sprinkle of himalayan salt too, makes them crispy!! much love hehehe

• Like 2

Fat King oyster steaks are one of my favourites so far.

• Like 2

Really don't know a lot about candy caps. They grow on the the Cali coast. I traded a pachanoi cutting for a dry oz at a mushroom festival this summer. They smell like strong musty maple syrup. Anyway I think they would make great pastry filling blended with creamy cheeses.

• Like 1

I got a porcini cheese tart at a restaurant on lygon st for my birthday a few years back. Very tidy!

I do like shiitake but there is just something about blewits i cant describe. Just my fav

• Like 2

make sure to give the shiitakes a nice sprinkle of himalayan salt too, makes them crispy!! much love hehehe

mmm sounds scrumpscious .. I'll have to hunt some down , glad to share the love and reciprocate with added bliss wishes

• Like 1

Really don't know a lot about candy caps. They grow on the the Cali coast. I traded a pachanoi cutting for a dry oz at a mushroom festival this summer. They smell like strong musty maple syrup. Anyway I think they would make great pastry filling blended with creamy cheeses.

nice trade , dyu think theyd sweeten a stilton wedge in pastry nicely? mmmm *adds mental broccoli and some bavarian smoked cheeses

I'm with Zen on the blewits....excellent with game meat stews, but pretty adaptable to being cooked most ways.

Also love field mushies , A.campestris.....grew up eating heaps of them when the really use to be everywhere before farming practices change. They are pretty versatile....a fried one on toast still puts a smile on my dial.

(also can use big ones like a pizza base :wink: )

I get some dried winter chantrelles from a food importer, rehydrate them a bit and they just rock in scrambled eggs :drool2: Its a perfect flavour pairing IMO, and probably my favourite for now.

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 3

I'm gonna have to look for a similar importer I reckon...since I moved to an apartment the lack of a garden has meant I've got nothing to go with my scrambled eggs anymore, only dried chives, which just ain't the same.

Also if I can track down some of these blewits, it sounds like they may go well in some sort of 'roo and Guinness pie?

roo and stout pie with blewits :drool2: me thinks....

as for most delicious I reckon its a matter of personal taste and cooking craft. I've made a few dodgy meals by using

mushrooms that just were not suitable for the meal type. Usually a mess up on the texture, but some flavour disasters as well...lol

The most delicious gourmet mushy is whatever you grew or found that's ready * right now*

Bonus points if you inoculated it, forgot about it, and then found a bunch of it ready to harvest when you were walking around the yard

Hows the smile on yr face when you get surprised by a really lovely addition to tonight's tucker?