The Corroboree
NightBreed

Variegated pachanoi snub cutting

Hey guys I got this nice little peice of variegated Pachanoi and it has been in the ground for a while before I got it and sprouted no roots and it has shrunk up a lot so Im worried it wont make it long enough to root and grow new pups before it dries up all the way because its so small. So the other day I sliced off 1 cm of the bottom callus and tried to graft it to a meter tall super pedro but over night the flesh of the cactus shrank away leaving only the vascular rings sticking out and they pushed eachother apart. I had a lot of preasure on it to but it didnt stop them. It looked like the pach was so dried up that it just didnt want to graft because it just shrinks up to much for the connection to be good.

So I decied to not take any more risk and just root it but given its size and the fact that I only want pups to come out of the variegated side do you think I sould lay it on its green side and let the ribs root or stand it in some soil about half an inch in, just enough to get some roots on it but leaving enough of the cacti out so pups can form? What would you do with such a rare but demenishing peice of cacti?

post-13521-0-52197600-1413102326_thumb.j

post-13521-0-17300200-1413102356_thumb.j

post-13521-0-21914400-1413102368_thumb.j

post-13521-0-25353600-1413102381_thumb.j

post-13521-0-52197600-1413102326_thumb.jpg

post-13521-0-17300200-1413102356_thumb.jpg

post-13521-0-21914400-1413102368_thumb.jpg

post-13521-0-25353600-1413102381_thumb.jpg

post-13521-0-52197600-1413102326_thumb.jpg

post-13521-0-17300200-1413102356_thumb.jpg

post-13521-0-21914400-1413102368_thumb.jpg

post-13521-0-25353600-1413102381_thumb.jpg

I would put it in fine dry sand and wait until it roots. WHen it roots than give it water.

I have a set up with t5 lights and a heat mat. I put the cacti that need rooting in the fine sand where it reaches temperatures of 25 degrees

It looks too old to graft

• Like 1

Thanks ive been hearing a lot about sand being the best substrate for rooting. Not sure why its better than soil but I can understand the heat pad. I have a heat pad for seedlings and as soon as this cut has healed up for a few days ill pop it in some sand on the heat mat with some rooting powder and just wait I guess.

i had a 30cm bridgesii cutting sitting on a shelf for a year or more once,

i cut in 3 and planted it, the cut closest to the "bottom" where the vascular ring was thickest survived and now has thrown a pup and is growing without worry

the other two rotted and died

point of the story is trichs can grow in a number of circumstances and if you want to grow it pop it in some dry soil and leave it, it'll either grow or die,

it's out of your hands

personally i think your best bet is to perform some areole grafts, grafting the areoles with green/variegation on them

the yellow variegation wont support photosynthesis, so its going to be rather difficult to grow roots

cut off & graft a few of the green/variegated areoles and try rooting out the remaining chunk

• Like 3

personally i think your best bet is to perform some areole grafts, grafting the areoles with green/variegation on them

the yellow variegation wont support photosynthesis, so its going to be rather difficult to grow roots

cut off & graft a few of the green/variegated areoles and try rooting out the remaining chunk

If i were to apply BAP to an yellow areole, would i only get a yellow pup with no green at all?

If i were to apply BAP to an yellow areole, would i only get a yellow pup with no green at all?

think about it man....your stub has no roots & no actively growing apical meristem. BAPing would be a waste of BAP. but to answer your question, i've seen completely green pups emerge from completely variegated areoles, on rooted ACTIVELY GROWING plants

your stub is in severe survival mode, look how shrunken it is. Its highly unlikely even an areole graft would work, considering how dehydrated the stub is.

• Like 2

I would love to graft some of the areolas but so far none of my grafts have taken and im afraid I would mess it up. If there was someone more experienced in Melbourne that could help me do this I could pay them for helping me or trade.

I'd just graft the whole cutting if I was you. areole grafts can be tricky.

heh, that cutting looks familiar. take care of it. i got one too, didnt root for ages and then i fucked up and let it get wet a few times and it rotted.