The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fresh Brewed

What's wrong with these Loph's

These small Lophs are about 4-5 months old. They were slowly acclimatized to ambient RH more than a month ago. At that time I started to water them at least every other day with 5-10 cc's in "soil" immediately around them. All seemed well for awhile, but they have seemed to shrink a bit and start turning dark. I've read that turning dark can be a sign of over watering. They've been under the same CFL that they germinated under, but lately as the seasons change they have gotten a taste of direct sun through the mostly closed blinds. Thoughts...suggestion???

post-4735-0-39599900-1412548562_thumb.jp

post-4735-0-18786000-1412548590_thumb.jp

post-4735-0-39599900-1412548562_thumb.jpg

post-4735-0-18786000-1412548590_thumb.jpg

post-4735-0-39599900-1412548562_thumb.jpg

post-4735-0-18786000-1412548590_thumb.jpg

they look ok to me, but maybe too much light? direct sun and seedlings aren't compatible ime, even direct morning sun can be too much,

Mate they look better than mine do 95% of the first year

They go dark like that from too much light. But yours still look pretty healthy and green so should be fine, just give them a while to adjust before you increase the light level. Seedlings can burn pretty easily.

They look good to me as well. maybe a bit thirsty.

They go dark like that from too much light. But yours still look pretty healthy and green so should be fine, just give them a while to adjust before you increase the light level. Seedlings can burn pretty easily.

This. Months later some of my cacti seedlings are still red/brown.

Edited by GHBeer

Red/brown is fine in many seedlings, if they are actively growing. Sunburn scars them, it doesn't color them, it kills them.

Some cacti seedlings show purple color under low light levels, in some varieties it is totally normal and to be expected. It is not always a bad sign.