The Corroboree
Slocombe

Experience growing trichocereus in front yard

I'm thinking about growing some bridgessi in my front yard. My motivation for doing this is to keep long-spines away from my young children but the mrs is worried that someone's going to see what's growing out the front, and then break in to check if there's anything else of interest in the house or out the back.

I know from experience that cacti placed in public view do sometimes get hacked off, and this is something I can cope with. I'm not so comfortable with people breaking into the back yard or the house.

I'm interested in knowing if any Australian members have had unwanted attention from growing trichocereus in their front yard?

• Like 2

Can't speak for Australia but here in Phoenix, Arizona I have over 20 bridgesii, more than 15 pach's and assorted terscheckii and taquimbalensis all in the front yard and plan to add 50 - 100 more as time permits. The back yard is FULL of cacti. None have ever been stolen or molested, nor has anyone ever stopped to ask for a cutting!

Hope you have a similar experience!

• Like 3

my kids say ouch when they walk past mine . . the 2 year old walks with her hand out saying ouchee ouchee they learn fast lol now the eldest waters them and knows most of the names..

sorry i dont have a front yard

• Like 4

I'd just make sure that most of your back yard isnt visible from the street, should be ok, having said that a lady I worked for who collected orchids had her glass houses broken into a few times, although there was no visible indicators of rare orchids in glass houses from the front yard or street, the thieves had previously gained access via friends of members of the orchid society she was a member of and her hospitality for having them over, thieves always come at you sideways, you never know when your going be targeted, simply making your treasures not visible will leave any opportunists oblivious to whats going on out back and at worst you will have is a missing limb or cactus from the front,

• Like 3

As for the more organised enthusiasts, cattle dog x dogo works well

• Like 1

Depends on your area, i would imagine for the most part people wouldn't know or bother.

• Like 2

nor has anyone ever stopped to ask for a cutting!

I'll be right over, I'll bring my stakebed :P

• Like 2

I wouldn't.

Used to be gardens everywhere in NZ where I came from with Pach growing visible from the street. Never see one now, all stolen.

Getafix

• Like 2

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!! Your kids will learn and if you are really worried then you can always clip the spines off and leave them in the back yard. I've come across multiple people who have had the displeasure of East Africans jumping their fences to get to their khat trees. My brother's mate chopped his down and even had some fucker knock on his door and abuse him for chopping down his own tree!

I also learnt to never have a curry tree in the front yard if you live in an area with lots of Indians. It was like having a khat tree in the front yard. NEVER AGAIN!

some of the worst spines are small fuckers like from peres... so a bridgessi isn't really a valid choice to put out front, people can atleast see those spines and know not to grab them.

• Like 2

I have tons of cacti in my front yard every spring/summer/fall. I' live in an extremely conservative state with pretty extreme laws. I was on probation for a while and my probation officer came over and complimented me on my awesome cactus collection quite a few times. I highly doubt anyone will be suspecting you of breaking the law for having big spiny cacti in your front yard.

I'm in the US though. Could be completely different here since they are not well known by law enforcement, but I even have a couple lophophora. Lol.

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 2