The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fruitbat

Wanted: Pereskiopsis Spathulata from within NZ & miscellaneous cactus seed!!!

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for some Pereskiopsis Spathulata cuttings sourced specifically from within NZ (to avoid any problems importing). I am also interested in cacti seeds of any kind!!

I'm fiending for more cacti seeds and they don't seem terribly easy to find here, not through conventional means anyhow... :BANGHEAD2:

I don't have have much to trade (YET) except money (and not much of that either), but if there are any fellow NZ peeps with some spare seeds and advice, please let me know!!!

:)

• Like 1

Once you get a few more posts I'll sort you out :)

• Like 1

welcome...always nice to see a few new members from NZ

Strombocactus Disciformis....I guess you brought those seeds from Mesa?

There are a few good seed houses internationally I can recommend, as your probably aware its ok to bring seeds in via mail...sometimes customs opens them & will remove any that aren't on their data base ...listed as 'basic' = ok...problem is they don't seemed to be updating & there are still lots missing.the link is their data/search engine...just put the 1st name in...like cereus & all their listed cereus will come up.

http://www1.maf.govt.nz/cgi-bin/bioindex/bioindex.pl

re your 2nd post Strombocactus Disciformis grafting....I guess that depends on how many you have....if you have only a few...you may want to wait till you have some pere.......& hope they don't damp off on you.......otherwise I find small san p excellent stock.....almost as good as pere...I brought some dragon fruit at New world a few months back.....bloody expensive & poor taste from cold storage & pre harvest etc....but if you can find a fruit (ton of seeds) the new growth on cuttings I find is also receptive...

I have surplus cereus hybrid seeds (excellent fruit for eating), carnegiea gigantus, san p x cereus hybrid seeds (but that 1 needs to be grafted as seedlings are prone to damping off very early...weeks after germination).............You kinda need bottom heat/shoe box propagator for them all though.........but pm your address if you want some & I'll send them on...I'm doing some postings in the next few days ...so don't delay. its easier to do a bunch in 1 session.

I wouldn't limit yourself to just NZ for receiving seeds...there's a huge international community of gardeners...

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

Thank you both for your replies!

I wasn't too sure if I would get any so I am very pleasantly surprised and excited! I've never joined a forum before so I'm a complete noob - I don't actually know how to PM - am I internet-dumb or just locked out due to being new? There doesn't seem to be a PM option for me. If I post my email can you flick me a message and ill reply (if that's allowed)?

Ill be keen as for any surplus seed you have for sure!!! I only found out about the maf site a couple of days ago after asking some collectors if they had any pere... If emails had eyes, I think their replies would have been glancing at me sideways... I didn't realize it wasn't an "accepted" plant, lol!! Not sure what mesa is - the strombocactus I got from the person who organizes the cactus society seedbank.

It's lame but I havent investigated importing seed, simply because I wast sure what was allowed an didn't want to get in trouble, haha.... But now that I have found this great resource, ill definitely be looking into it!

I actually have 3 dragon fruit seedlings I planted last year and I think they might be getting big enough to pluck a few offsets for grafting! They're the only seeds I've had damp off - I just sowed 10 or so and the rest went mouldy. Everything else I've attempted has been fine so far, but that's not saying much since my collection is humble having only recently begun.

I appropriated some heat mats my partner used for beer brewing, they seem to work well, though I tried some without the heat and they did fine on their own.

I'm a bit sleep deprived now so ill review tomorrow and maybe post a photo!

Thanks again for replying :)

Here are some pics of my seedlings at the moment to show I'm not a postless undercover robot/troll/police/vigilante or something....

post-15529-0-71324000-1412462793_thumb.jpost-15529-0-48753800-1412462842_thumb.jpost-15529-0-95297500-1412462868_thumb.jpost-15529-0-51700700-1412462895_thumb.jpost-15529-0-95081400-1412462639_thumb.j

**edit - And please do advise further on the recommended seed-houses :lol:

post-15529-0-95081400-1412462639_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-71324000-1412462793_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-48753800-1412462842_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-95297500-1412462868_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-51700700-1412462895_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-95081400-1412462639_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-71324000-1412462793_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-48753800-1412462842_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-95297500-1412462868_thumb.jpg

post-15529-0-51700700-1412462895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cactifiend
  • Like 3

Hi, nice healthy seedlings you must know what you're up to :)

If you want some trich x seeds shoot me a pm with your address. I think i have some other random cacti seeds too. dunno how viable but if your keen to give them a go they're all yours. Probably can send a few established seedlings your way too.

You should be able to pm after your 5th post.. If I remember correctly. Maybe it's 10.. Dunno now.

Welcome to the forum :)

• Like 1

Thanks bogfrog!

The PM option has been enabled now so I will message you shortly :)

Unfortunately I am severely limited in space, so my plan is to try and keep to seed raising to get the maximum enjoyment possible from the amount of space available! I dunno about you but I think there is something special about watching a plant grow from the very beginning. Not sure what I'll do when they all grow up though!! :o

I love random cacti seed surprises.

I'm definitely no expert - I was looking for a gardening challenge and impulsively bought the pachanoi seeds last year around September (I think?) and the obsession grew swiftly from there.... Did a small amount of internet research and BAM. But somehow I managed to overlook this site??!

Thank you for your kind welcome :lol:

Hey bro welcome to the forums and the greater Aotearoa ethno community :)

Shoot me a PM (i will forget) and we can talk about tings, maybe further down the line work out goodie bags or trades.

Think I have some spare Tricho X seeds bit might need to redo the labels..

can source Datura, Leonotis, Pukatea, Macropiper and many others locally as seed or cutting (out of a garden/collection) when the time of year is right.

Also will be taking plenty of spore prints of local medicinals and edibles this year if that is of interest to anyone..

What are the genetics of the seedlings you posted pics of above?

• Like 1

yeah what's the 2nd & 3rd top right pic's?...& cacti just under your thumb in the dragon pic?

All really healthy looking plants............

this is a cereus seedling grafted to dragon cutting...the graft was placed on vigorous new growth/shoot of the dragon. I have tried just grafting onto dragon tips without success...needs to be budding/sprouting/pupping...the graft has dlb in size in the last 2 weeks...good season to graft...my pic quality is a bit poor, but you get the idea...click on them to in large (you'd know that)

post-13298-0-13454900-1412482233_thumb.j

stenocereus on 60mm san p...the graft seedling was ~8mm...40mm now

post-13298-0-75054800-1412482559_thumb.j

Pachycereus pringlei - Cardón cactus on 70mm high San p

post-13298-0-76137300-1412482602_thumb.j

you want to check out some of thunderhorse's post's in the cactus section..."what did you do today"...he's filled his house choka with plants & the wife & kids :) they are column's good for window sills...

post-13298-0-13454900-1412482233_thumb.jpg

post-13298-0-75054800-1412482559_thumb.jpg

post-13298-0-76137300-1412482602_thumb.jpg

post-13298-0-13454900-1412482233_thumb.jpg

post-13298-0-75054800-1412482559_thumb.jpg

post-13298-0-76137300-1412482602_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

deeerrrrp, original reason for posting apart from the welcome:

I should be going out to where my Peres are growing up here in the next week or so, will be taking cuttings for summer for my own propagation but will of course keep the community in mind.

Also, got some 3rd generation N. rustica and 4th gen N. tabacum seeds saved up if they interest you...

• Like 1

Thanks for your pics Dreamwalker - I think I'll try a dragonfruit graft once my next batch of seedlings pop up, the spare ones I have now seem to be fine on their own although I could use them for practice I guess. Got about 30 or so "mixed echinopsis" teeny seedlings that I'm not overly invested in.

Oh man, I checked out Thunderhorse's posts like you said, and I think I just fell in love... If I wasn't happily engaged already this could have ended in a restraining order and me being banned forever.... So many awesome images and interesting posts. I feel completely inadequate now, but also very lucky to have come across a great group of people and wealth of information!

Thanks Solomon, interested for sure I'll PM you soon.

Okay, I have to embarrassingly admit (and don't judge me to harshly *pulls the newbie card again*) but I kind of sort of lost all the information on what the heck I'm growing... LOL.

From memory.... The 3rd pic is Tavaresia Barklyi, the 2nd I'm pretty sure is Melocactus Azureus, and I have no idea what the one under my thumb is, I know I had an id tag for it once upon a time, but it must have been swallowed by studio debris. I'm also the proud propagator of "Lobivia-something" and "Arrojadoa-something" seedlings but only x2 each germinated.... For shame, I know, I'll be more diligent in record keeping from now on........

Thanks for the comments, I like to think they turned out okay for a first attempt!

Edited by Cactifiend
  • Like 1