The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
zed240

T Pachanoi "Mike" has black spots :(

I noticed these raised spots on "Mike" 2 days ago. I touched them and they were slightly soft. I assumed they would go black and it was most likely some kind of rot.

I then took these pics this morning and yes, the spots are going blacker and I assume they'll burst and weep some time soon. :( Most of the black spots are on the side that gets the most sun, there is one up the top on the other side that's shaded. I haven't used any sprays or insecticides on this cactus at all. I have watered him with a watering can twice so far this spring.

So my plan at the moment is to just monitor it and do not much else. I assume that's the best course of action?

He's in the ground and had been growing really well up until now. He gets morning sun until about 1 or 2 pm and then he is shaded for the rest of the day by a couple of trees. There's a Bridgesii X Pachanoi in the ground about a metre and a half behind him that hasn't got any signs of this as yet.

Has been in the ground for getting close to 2 years and I was really looking forward to him exploding with growth this summer. Makes me sad...

post-13830-0-94959400-1412124709_thumb.j post-13830-0-66605000-1412124711_thumb.j

post-13830-0-94959400-1412124709_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-66605000-1412124711_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-94959400-1412124709_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-66605000-1412124711_thumb.jpg

Too much Fertz can cause this....

Also the cactus in question isnt a "Mike" Mike is a Bridgee

Edited by mr b.caapi
  • Like 1

Too much Fertz can cause this....

Also the cactus in question isnt a "Mike" Mike is a Bridgee

Thanks B Caapi, I do have a few cuts of "Mike" bridgesii growing already also, but this is the T Pach "Mike" from the SAB store.

So I believe there's 2 different Mikes, one bridgesii and on pachanoi.

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/shop/echinopsis_pachanoi_mike_san_pedro_cactus_plant_pr_1155.php

So I'm not too sure how to make the soil less fertile.... I guess I just wait and see what happens and make sure not to add any ferts to the soil for a couple of years?

• Like 1

why make a mountain out of a molehill?

Never got pimples or blackheads as a kid?

If I posted up pics of every time my plants got a black spot or rot or whatever I'd probably overload the sab server; if you grow trichs its a fact of life.

Some plants are more prone than others, but I've had black spots / oozing on pach's' peru's & bridge's. IMHO it isnt rot, I'm of the opinion its an overabundance of a specific alkaloid...like a hormonal unbalance.

• Like 2

^ Thanks for the refresh re raising cacti. :)

why make a mountain out of a molehill?

Never got pimples or blackheads as a kid?

If I posted up pics of every time my plants got a black spot or rot or whatever I'd probably overload the sab server; if you grow trichs its a fact of life.

Some plants are more prone than others, but I've had black spots / oozing on pach's' peru's & bridge's. IMHO it isnt rot, I'm of the opinion its an overabundance of a specific alkaloid...like a hormonal unbalance.

Haha! I'm not "making a mountain". And I knew full well you'd say to "do nothing", Zelly, as I said was my plan for now anyway. But it's so far the only one in my collection that's just spontaneously started to sport these black soft spots.

I guess if a notice goes out that Torsten's running out of server space for SAB I'll think about posting less, but for now I'm happy to put up the odd question or picture here and there. I can't see why it hurts. I assume if space were an issue there wouldn't be so much irrelevant stuff going on in the Chill space either! ;)

[edit] - and it can't be a complete waste of time, someone so far has learned that there's 2 different cactus clones called "Mike" in Australia, so there's that, at the very least. ;)

Edited by zed240

Thanks B Caapi, I do have a few cuts of "Mike" bridgesii growing already also, but this is the T Pach "Mike" from the SAB store.

So I believe there's 2 different Mikes, one bridgesii and on pachanoi.

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/shop/echinopsis_pachanoi_mike_san_pedro_cactus_plant_pr_1155.php

So I'm not too sure how to make the soil less fertile.... I guess I just wait and see what happens and make sure not to add any ferts to the soil for a couple of years?

Ahhhhh well there ya go

I believe it is a minor bacterial infection and is not related to nutrients or alkaloids.

Even alkaloid negative plants get it, and plant that are underfed can get it.

I have seen insects transmit it.

Edited by Gunter
  • Like 1

I would be more worried if every single one of them started doing this. I've had the black spots show up and it seems pretty random. When I first started growing I freaked out when I saw them. I stopped watering, stopped fertilizing, even went in there with a knife and started cutting! The poor cacti were in bad shape after I was done with them. Hehe. Turns out the black spots posed no harm at all. The only thing harmfull to them was me! Lol.

• Like 3