The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Information preservation

Guest reville

Would anyone like to contribute to an information CD?

I thought after the collapse of entheogen.com

and now drooldonkey that all these archives and tried and true Teks need to be kept safe

So i started downloading and printing of reams of info

However if we could burn the files incl pictures onto a Cd then it would be so easy

a simple directory would be fine wouldnt it

think about it people

a non profit project with the best of the best FAQ's teks threads and tips as well as gallery shots

brilliant idea rev ... what do you need from us? cash, info, naked serving ... um ... people?

Sounds like a bloody excellent idea,I,m an information junkie myself.What do you need.

Guest reville

Dont get me wrong its just an idea i really have no idea of wahts involved , im only supposing that it couldnt be that hard.

What i suggest is that anyone with a classic piece of text or a well written Tek could add to the volume which could have a simple directory or a fancy mainpage ,whatever..

anyway things ive thought of as being definte to include are

The Salvia divinorum book

PF tek and the strain info

shroom teks salvaged off drooldonkey that concern -

Bulk substrates

liquid innoculation techniques

novel casing ideas

Woodlovers like azurescens

Teks on cult. and prep of san pedro

The natural highs FAQ and aussie supplement

Mulgas coca info

Trade_omlets Hybridisation tek

ayuahuasca analogues

I bet theres so much more...

As for copyright - im not bothered, well just

make sure we give credut where its due

what we need is a few people willing to contribute and access to someone with a little talent in putting it into a friendly format .. and a CD burner

When we get it going ill put in some money for some Blank CD's to do a run

If theres anything contemporary youd like to see then you could provide alink from this

thread to it

http://salvia.lycaeum.org/dmturnerbook.html

http://www.cures-not-wars.org/ibogaine/

http://www.erowid.org/archive/hyperreal/drugs/pihkal/

how much can we cram onto a CD anyway?

Guest Nozzle Boy

Yeah you'll need TiHKAL and PiHKAL - I think Lycaeum did up the TiHKAL version, it looks snazzy there now - better than Erowid's anyway. DMTurners Psychedelic Guide is a must - well written, and quite informative.

Um, 640 megs to a CD - who doesn't know that ? Make a temporary base on the Internet, as in the basis where all info is sent - but whoevers got a burner can just d/load all the shit from the site, burn, Robert's your dad's brother. I've got one if you need one. Burner that is. ( You can have Rob as well, but he's an extra ).

Ar fck, I pasted in a shtload of links and then my browser crashed.

I might do them again soon.

Anyway good idea. Some of the really good stuff (ie schaeffer/drugtext/psychedelic library, and the FAQ collection at erowid) might be a bit too substantial to lift without permission but if they know if it non-profit they may give permission.

The Golden Guide to Hallucingenic Plants (Schultes) used to be online at theforbiddenfruit... can anyone find a copy anywhere else? I seem to remember when it first came up it did so in a few places to prevent just this very outcome, ie site goes down and text is lost.

Guest Nozzle Boy

Um, were you thinking of only doing plant/herb type shtuff, as in entheogenic crap - or covering the whole chem/plant/pharm/smart spectrum ? Coz if you need a little pharm info, I'll chuck in my 2 bob on the pharm section - that's if there is one.

Another fantastic idea from the rev!

I reckon it would be great to produce a drug guide that gave facts and teks for the whole range of plant drugs. Not just entheogens and not just your ecinaceas and chamomiles but all the plants that have played a major role in the survival and learning of humankind. I reckon if we did it really well, we could publish it properly and sell it in nurseries, computer stores, markets, video stores, and everywhere. Might even make some money. We could have little video clips showing how to do all the prop techniques. Maybe have a series of video clips called "Reville's Cooking Show"

We could do a bit of the old...

Rev: "Heres a block of mycelium we prepared earlier..."

Jo-bloggs: "Wow! you made that? What is it did you say? My ceiling?"

Rev: "Well Jo, let me show you what will come out of this strange looking block of fungal tissue... try this delicious shiitake soup..."

(Little does Jo know, these shiitakes are Revilles new genetically engineered psilocybin/psilocin containg variety)

Jo has a big long sip...

Jo-bloggs: Mmmmmmmm!! Reville, you are amazing! To think! Anyone can grow these expensive little mushrooms at home with some of your premium quality spore syringes and this CD.

Rev: Ok Jo, i think we'd (you'd) better go and sit down and wait till the next course is ready.

......60mins later

Rev: Ok ladies and gentleman... here is a person-under-the-influence-of-a-particular-serotonin-analogue we prepared earlier. Jo, do you have anything to say?

Jo: My Reville! what big TEETH you have!!

Rev: All the better to EAT YOU WITH!!! He he he!

Jo: AAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHH!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK!!! GET ME OUT OF THIS TINY HOUSE!!! THE WALLS ARE CAVING IN!!!!!!

Maybe we'd have to cut the video off there or maybe earlier. But think "Revilles cooking show" Has some real potential. If we made the CD really well... we could sell it for sure.

Maybe we could do the information preservation thing now and allow more time for the really professional plant guide.

Maybe the big one could be called

"The Ethnobotanopaedia" or something weird like that. It would be the all time effort. But maybe we don't want half the worlds Jo bloggs knowing what power we have with these plants as our allies...

Anyway, definitely food for thought reville. good on ya.

smile.gif

Fractalhead

[This message has been edited by Fractalhead (edited 09 May 2001).]

Originally posted by rkundalini:

The Golden Guide to Hallucingenic Plants (Schultes) used to be online at theforbiddenfruit... can anyone find a copy anywhere else? I seem to remember when it first came up it did so in a few places to prevent just this very outcome, ie site goes down and text is lost.

It's still at fobidden fruit: http://www.theforbiddenfruit.com/articles/...ticles/hallpla/

Guest reville

heh hehe

yes i think it does have definite potential

and im gald that the idea has been taken up cos left to my own devices thats all it would have been cos as nozzle boy highlighted i know shit about info storage .... hell i dropped out of comp science to to cultural studies after 1 lecture and i dont even own a computer yet...

i think if everyone interested contributed a little information then this thing could actually materialise.. i mean its an organisational thing the work has mostly been done and its a matter of collating it..

so can anyone tell me would it be better to have a site where anyone can go to and download/burn or to actually down load all this info collate it on a PC and burn it to disc

also would it be necessary for the site to actually host all the info or just provide links (this would not be a long term solution obviously as this has the same weakness we are trying to circumvent)

and if so how does that help in the arrangement of the info on the final CD directory

at least i know now that it has to be arranged in 640 meg lots of info

preferably with a common theme - so multiple volumes will be required

geez i really need to get myself a puta..

Guest Nozzle Boy

reville - how are you sending replies if you don't have a computer ? Do you use a friends, or school's computer ? Assuming you're young enough to still be in school, that is.

Um, well apart from videos, which would be way hard to tape, convert and - why do you really need them ? Seem like a bit of an unneeded commodity, text and images seems to convey information well, albeit alot less space on a CD.

- What I was going to say was, you wouldn't need more than 1 CD, as long as no videos. I'd say both Erowid and Lycaeum would both fit together on 1 CD themselves, so space isn't much of an issue.

Erowid is by far the better source of information ( compared with Lycaeum ), but it's layout is SOOO choppy. Like, the Lycaeum had a good idea - doing a server type thing, with the layout being automatically setup, lists linking to all different plants/chems/pharms/smarts, and the same theme throughout - its just that they didn't have enough information compared with Erowid, and it didn't come to much use. Lycaeum would have thrived, but there was no info to keep it new, and keep it going.

Erowid however, has a major block - lack of organization. Info is there, most certainly, and lot's of it - it's just it's all thrown in there, no organization, just slightly grouped.

Their Experience Vault kicks ass - heaps of content - although their inconsistencies in Substance names ( like they call it 2ct7, 2ct-7, 2c-t7, 2-ct7, 2-c-t7, 2-ct-7, 2c-t-7, 2Ct7, 2cT7 - get my point ? ) , so you can see how they went for info more than organization.

It's like a quality-quantity thing - if you could get the quantity of Erowid's database, and the quality of Lycaeum's layout, it'd make for a quite advanced site. Even if it was just plants(ethnobotanicals), which is quite lacking on the Internet at the moment.

Another way I can show this is the http://www.erowid.org/general/big_chart.shtmlErowid and http://leda.lycaeum.org/Chemicals/index-all.shtmlLycaeum chemical databases. Lycaeum went ahead and created a small page for every chemical they could think of - even Aspirin, Acetiminophen, Chlorpheniramine, that kind of stuff, and added in snippets to each page as they got them. Any new chems they thought of, they made a page and left it.

Where as Erowid lists only the popular ones, and limits itself to where there is insufficient info to bother to make a page. Say, for example, they could create a Benzodiazepine page, listing all Benzo's, links to each, chemical names, etcetera, but they're trying to keep it compact and to the point, so they're leaving tidbits of info out. Leaving out little bits of info for the sake of keeping it clean, neat - in a way.

As long as the structure is set out from the very start, you can thrive from then on. Just set the starting blocks down, and then just chuck in new info ( and old gathered info ) as you get it. Even if it is small at the start, it can really only get better.

I am happpy to help in any way I can. I also have a CD burner so I might be able to help out there. If you need anything just email me.

Later.

Somewhere on my hard drive...I have heaps of archives from the early days of a.d.c. prior to the collapse of penet.fi remailer. All sorts of unsorted crap was kept in the desparate hope I'd have time to sort out the true from the entirely apocraphyl. Don't tell me these would be of historical interest?

Wat happened to entheogen.co and drooldonkey? Did I miss something again?