The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tripitaka76

Ice Cream Bean (Inga Edulis)

Guest tripitaka76

Good Morning,

Have recently sourced seeds of the delicious Ice cream bean (Inga Edulis), seed germination so far has exceeded 95%, have a number of seeds & plants for sale/trade. Would love to trade Theobroma if anyone has available.

Email me for more info.

I,ve also got some of these trees.Did you find that one seed sprouts more than one plant.How long do the seeds remain viable and are you sure this Inga edulis and not one of the other Inga,s?see ya.

Guest tripitaka76

Hi Andrew,

Sourced these from a friend, description of Inga Edulis reads that beans are to 1m in length, this particular tree has only just started producing however seed/fruit pods are at best 15-20cm, maybe due to maturity of source plant, not sure.

Am not so sure re: viability, it seems some seeds start to germinate within the pod, have not conducted any storage experiments.

Yes, some seeds have produced multiple plantlets.

They certaintly are delicous, a very delicate texture, like a fruity fairy floss & a taste similar to the nutty quality of lychees with out the moisture content. Manage to devour many in a sitting.

they are quickly gaining weed status in the subtropical areas.

Pods are usually only about 20cm, however I know of one tree that has much chunkier pods up to 1m long. They were supposed to be the same species, but they grow quite differently.