The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Firstly. I think giving to good causes is great and should be encouraged, however.. has this whole ice bucket challenge business turned being charitable into a sneaky way of taking selfies/giving yourself a so called "five seconds of fame" I dunno, something just doesn't seem right about it all.

What do you all think? Probably just turning into a grumpy bastard.

I think its stupid, but then again it could be stupider, and so im thankful that its not moar stupid

its everyones few seconds to feel like a league champion football coach woohoo!

yeah everyone should have the right to feel like a coach

one kid already died and no one seems to care, but I bet they would care if a football coach got froze

I clickded on one of the challenge takers links for the first time yesterday off a news site

but i was directed to a page with a drunk duke of hazard twit setting his hair on fire

that was not cool but I lafted and so that makes it ok

Good Morning

Yeah i dunno kinda mixed feelings, i like the fact its raising money and educating people about MND. But then again the fact that large amounts of people didnt or dont donate and the perceived mis-allocation of that money is kinda meh lol.

It's fcking retarded -_- yeah the whole charity aspect is good, but as you said it has been a "cool" thing to do and it seems to have taken over all the shit on Gaza and important things that are going on in the world...

Lol, I saw a female presenter do it at the end of the news. I couldn't help but think it resembled a wet t-shirt competition. Kind of did it for me actually.

Hey, could I have found the only other upside besides than charity?

Well I guess it's no more stupid than planking or Selfies. Psillybean, I think turning into a grumpy bastard just happens. Must be in our brain chemistry.

I remember saying when was 16 " ill always be up with new trends and new things that are cool" Then came facebook, I hate that. Selfies I hate that. Don't try to get me to work an eye pod/pad/phone or even use them correctly in a sentence. I used bluetooth for the first time a few months ago that's ok I guess :)

The final step is when you say "Music these day's!" I watched Anaconda the other day. I was like wtf?? what about people who aren't watching the filmclip, would it not seem the most ridiculous thing ever? musical and lyrical genius right there... " fuck yo stupid bitches wit no fuckin fat ass" It works on so many levels.

You probably don't feel so grumpy now right??

even the people not donating help, for people suffering the disease the attention this activity is bringing them would put a smile on their face, if they were still able to smile. i understand the criticism, but, there are things happening that actually need critique...

edit: grammar

perspective dionysus, you have it.. a dislike for the ego driven clouded me from the positives this campaign may bring.

but my focus on the negative revives the thought that this style of informing will become a side show competition for other illness. Maybe that's not a bad thing?! Maybe instead of x-factor being about becoming famous its turns to promoting a cause of your choosing if you win? Stuffed if i know any more.

what about the comedy aspect

Ice Bucket challenge fails:

http://youtu.be/WQlvW0aFnKo

I hope this video is allowed in your country

found that in this article which addresses some of the injuries

Ice bucket challenge participants keep getting hurt

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/08/28/ice-bucket-challenge-participants-keep-getting-hurt-there-may-be-one-related-death-too/

unfortunate: Ice Bucket Challenge founder drowns doing a different stunt...

too bad, seems like he was a good kid with nothing but good intentions

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/08/19/corey-griffin-dead-ice-bucket-challenge-co-founder-dies-drowning/

turns out the girl that died doing the ice bucker challenge was actually a hoax

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/28/this-is-what-happens-when-you-post-an-ice-bucket-fail-and-a-hoax-news-site-says-you-died/

Im not making reference to Dionysus post as it probably good to inform people who may not know. I think his reminder is needed here.

Taking a lighthearted side doesn't necessarily mean your ignoring real issues in the world. I think it's important to have a balance of both and just make sure your not ill informed or ignorant of issues when making a joke. I don't think draining the life out of everything with an ultra serious side is healthy for anyone who does it or the people around them who have to hear it.

P-bean you weren't clouded from the positives of charity campaigns as you state in your first sentence :) you just stated that some people may be using it only for the attention which is most likely correct. You asked for peoples thoughts and they gave them. That's very different to just making a straight up statement like " ice bucket challenges are just a new outlet for an ego mad society"

My opinion is your views were balanced not strongly worded and well put forward for discussion in a lighthearted manner.

In my town no one donates to charity, apparently if you don't do the ice bucket challenge then you have to donate $100 ? Not sure if this is everywhere but I don't see the point in it

if you don't do the ice bucket challenge then you have to donate $100 ?

you have to? what happens if you don't?

you have to? what happens if you don't?

No idea just pointing out how pathetic it has gotten.

reminds me a bit of that kony2012 bullshit. same deal as with most charities, the vast majority of the donations go to paying the charities employees salaries & admin fees..

my view toward most charity organizations is pretty well summed up by steve hughes in this video:

Yeah its a shame. Im sure some creative book keeping ensures some good profits for the guys at the top. Sometimes In the case of third world countries I wonder how much money gets past corrupt leaders and into the villages. Another problem is that these bigger charities get most of the attention and donations. Many people donate their time and expertise independently and have to fund the whole thing themselves or work hard to get funding. There are guys who are say electricians, plumbers or builders who go to needy communities and work for free to improve peoples situations. These guys actually get things done to better peoples lives rather than large charities who spend more money on promotions. Their Staff in some cases want to use pressure or guilt when using phone calls or harassing people in shopping centers to get people to donate. The people they target are usually those who are least in a position to donate also.

I also don't really like charities taking money and attention from more arguably more legitimate causes. like to me Sea shepherd seems to be more about funding some guys mid life crisis rather than helping any situation. To stop whaling the government took the case to the courts and won. Why are people donating so a couple of guys can break the law in an exorbitant fashion when there is animal cruelty right in our own country which could be dealt with far more effectively with such funding.

Not painting all charities with the one brush but some are good others are bad.

charity is more about the positive vibe of doing something good and the spirit of giving.. obviously if you don't feel good about a charity group then you might not get the the warm fuzzy for it ... then there is the overwhelming concern about what is the most worthy cause to give to ... if you are worried about a homeless man misusing the funds, then why not pass out bananas and salads? Once I stopped to a homeless guy and I asked him some questions and gave him some advice and direction he was quite a negative character.. not that im perfect but on that day I had it in me...

I think animal cruelty is a good cause... I also know some ppl who are so into animals they place them above humans... certainly they started at the same level of innocence but at some point that is lost and so I guess I get it but what it comes down to with charity is where you think you can make the most difference or for a minority, its like a political party attaching to an issue not for making anyones life better but just for satisfying the ego...

the 'what' matters

but the "why" matters more

and whether or not you even care has something to do with "Who" you are becoming as an individual

now go getchas some bananas and don't forget to keep a couple of them in ur car incase you see a panhandler or a chimp :P

I agree mate. Homeless misusing funds is a tough one for me. A good attitude is important for me to give in the first place but I am split in my opinion on what they do with money I give. On one hand I can see if the guy misuses it he is going to regret not spending it on a blanket on a cold night. On the other when your in a situation like that I can understand if the guy wants to spend it on a bottle if it is going to bring him a bit of happiness in an other wise unhappy life. It's a tough one but I think each situation is unique and when you meet the case/person you get a bit of an idea of the right thing to do.

Who gives a fuck as long as the money gets donated. People aren't hurting anything by tipping iced water over their head.

Love the fail video I think its time us decent countries need to stop giving America attention and they will go away .

In entertainment news:

http://news.yahoo.com/ice-bucket-challenge-satanic-ritual-explains-troubled-writer-183406572.html

A WorldNetDaily writer can’t fathom why anyone would willingly dump ice water on themselves, so she did some digging and has now concluded that the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is a satanic ritual.

“I began to think about the IBC,” Selena Owens explains in the piece. “Whose idea was this? Why would people so easily agree to being drenched in icy water? Who participated and who didn’t? Why do people feel obligated to take the challenge if offered to them? What’s the purpose of calling out three other people to take the challenge?”

She investigated, she says, and discovered the IBC is NOT “a lighthearted attempt to understand a debilitating disease.”

The most troubling evidence she has to support her theory that the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is actually a satanic ritual is the story of Corey Griffin’s death.

Griffin was the IBC co-founder. He died last month when he jumped off a building in Nantucket and drowned following a successful fundraiser where he had raised $100,000 for ALS research, Owens explains. He was pronounced dead at 3 a.m. “He floated to the surface, then he sank,” a report says. “He did not come up again.”

“It confounds me as to why Griffin would take such a risk with his life, especially in the dead of night?” she writes. “Very odd. Very bizarre. Very dark.”

She also points to a video, in which self-described evangelist Anita Fuentes explains a number of cryptic and cultic messages hidden in the IBC ritual, which is cleansing America in the name of Anti-Christ Lucifer Satan for some future thing.

The video’s depiction of Oprah Winfrey taking the challenge is particularly disturbing, Owens said. “Winfrey precedes her dousing with the words ‘In the name of ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge’ … because Oprah mistakenly believes the One True God is jealous of her, and the well-known fact that she denounces Jesus as the only way to God and basically considers herself to be a god, I found this statement to be very cultic in nature.”

In conclusion: “The ALS IBC is ritualistic in nature. People are chosen to undergo a form of water baptism with cultic god Oprah leading the charge ‘in the name of ALS.’”

Watch the truly fascinating video and decide for yourself if Owens’ is right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why can't xtians just forgive the satanists already... this is really a match made in heaven

one can't exist without the other... what would yahshua ben josef do? oh nevermind that

... and yeah Bigred, wishful thinking.. you can ignore some of us but never all of us

we are like hair, we're on ur head, on ur chin and even up your nose.. and thats just

north americans! :P

Only $27 of every $100 goes to actual research anyway.

als-earnings.png?w=517&h=294

Here are the salaries of this "non-profit" organisation from 2013.

is that for real? fuckheads. if it's true maybe that answers your question incog?

Only $27 of every $100 goes to actual research anyway.

als-earnings.png?w=517&h=294

Here are the salaries of this "non-profit" organisation from 2013.

this says 73% get put to "program expenses" which includes but is not limited to research

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3296

snopes debinked it:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/als.asp