The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest unified

Australian Coccaine Plant (Erythroxylum Australe)

Guest unified

Apprently their is a LEGAL Australian bush that has very similar properties to the illegal version, has anyone heard of this or know where i can get any more info about it.

Cheers,

Unified.

Guest reville

theres some interesting info in an old old thread on this site.Might disappoint you

I found this Erythroxylum species "Erythroxylum kunthianum" listed under the list of plants that The Uni of New England (UNE) http://www.une.edu.au/botany/e.htm . Is it another australian native coca bush or just a specimen they have in there collection?

The conflicting thing is that I found the same plant listed here ( http://www.nybg.org/bsci/hcol/vasc/Erythro...roxylaceae.html ) saying it was collected in Brazil?

Anyone know what is going on, and does anyone know if it contains any useful alkaloids and is legal to posses?

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 07 May 2001).]

Noi idea about alkaloids, but it would not b legal to possess in NSW. Don't know about other states, but that probably depends on alkaloid content.

Guest unified

Found this has some info about the Australian variety.

http://www.aros.net/~lambo/coca/coca.htm

---------------------------------------------AUSTRALIAN Erythroxylum SHRUB

Family: Erythroxylaceae

Genus: Erythroxylum

Species: australe

A shrub that grows up to 4.5 meters tall with leaves from 1 cm to 3.5 cm long. The ripe fruit is up to 1 cm long, red and contains one seed. The flowers are solitary or paired with white petals. Its habitat ranges fromstony/rocky hillside slopes to open sclerophyll forest, from NT through Queensland to northern NSW.

History: Erythroxylum australe doesn't have much history of usage but E. coca is used in Peru. It is used to combat fatigue and cocaine is made from the leaves. All Erythroxylaceae species are declared prohibited plants in NSW.

Active Constituents: The leaves contain 0.8% Meteloidine, a tropine-tiglate ester alkaloid.

Erythroxylum australe is legal to cultivate in the United States.

Erythroxylum australe seeds are legal to posess in the United States.

---------------------------------------------

Originally posted by unified:

Apprently their is a LEGAL Australian bush that has very similar properties to the illegal version, has anyone heard of this or know where i can get any more info about it.

Cheers,

Unified.

YES THERE IS A LEGAL VERSION OF ERYTHROXLUM COCA CALLED ERYTHROXYLUM AUSTRALIS BUT DOES NOT CONTAIN COCAINE. THERE FOR IS LEGAL TO CULTIVATE IN THE USA.

YOUR BEST BET IS TO TRY LAMBO SEEDS THROUGH

THE SEARCH ENGINE WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK.

IT IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN AUGUST TO SEPTEMBER.

IM NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY LAW BUT THE COCA THAT GROWS IN COLUMBIA CALLED ERYTHROXYLUM NOVOGRANTANSE IS LEGAL TO CULITAVTE IN AMERICA. THIS HAS LOWER AMOUNTS OF ACTIVE AMOUNTS THAN THE ILLEGAL CULIVATION OF ERYTHROXYLUM COCA.

HOPE THIS HAS ANSWERED A FEW QUESTIONS.

MARKO

Originally posted by marko:

YES THERE IS A LEGAL VERSION OF ERYTHROXLUM COCA CALLED ERYTHROXYLUM AUSTRALIS BUT DOES NOT CONTAIN COCAINE. THERE FOR IS LEGAL TO CULTIVATE IN THE USA.

YOUR BEST BET IS TO TRY LAMBO SEEDS

Lambo hasn't sold coca seeds for a while. And he certainly never had E.australe. The best bet for a seed source would be someone in northern NSW or southern Qld, as this is where it is native. Don't ask me. I can't find it anywhere. And in any case it is illegal in NSW (even though it is native here).

IT IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN AUGUST TO SEPTEMBER.

Actually, that is when E.australe flowers. Seed would be ripe from Sept - Nov/Dec.

IM NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY LAW BUT THE COCA THAT GROWS IN COLUMBIA CALLED ERYTHROXYLUM NOVOGRANTANSE IS LEGAL TO CULITAVTE IN AMERICA.

Don't know where you get this from, but it's just not true. Federal law in the US prohibits any plant (and plant part) that contains cocaine and there is no distinction in yield. E.novo is definitely NOT legal there.

THIS HAS LOWER AMOUNTS OF ACTIVE AMOUNTS THAN THE ILLEGAL CULIVATION OF ERYTHROXYLUM COCA.

That depends partly on strain, but mostly on location. Alkaloid content in erythroxylum is higher at high altitudes, which makes the average coca plant higher yielding than E.novo, as coca is grown almost exclusively at high altitudes.

if e.coca is mainly grown at high altitudes does that mean it's frost resistant?

Lambo hasn't sold coca seeds for a while

he tells me they will be available again in august ... anyone want to split the risk? wink.gif

Originally posted by waterdragon:

if e.coca is mainly grown at high altitudes does that mean it's frost resistant?

No. It's one bitch of a delicate plant if grown outside its native area. It likes the cool mountain air of the southamerican west coast, where it is always between 5 and 25 degC, but mostly about 15-20. Due to the amazon in the east the air is also very humid, even at such high altitudes. Coca does not like heat, calcium, dry air, low altitude. Novogranatense would be more forgiving.

Originally posted by earthalchemist:

he tells me they will be available again in august ... anyone want to split the risk? wink.gif

he goes my standard disclaimer..... importing this seed infringes on customs schedule 4 (drugs), quarantine act, state drug acts in all states and if germinated may be construed as cultivation or intent to cultivate in NSW.

Seed germinates immediately after harvest unless it is dried, in which case it won't germinate well at all. Best way to ship is to provide germinating medium such as coco fibre or sphagnum moss.

Good luck. I wouldn't risk it.

neither would i.

actually, i was told seed must be shipped in pods, which, considering the bulk, would definitely bring customs down ... but i've known things like a small bag of seed in sphagnum to slip by unnoticed (nothing illegal of course)

The seed is covered by a thin layer of red fruit. keeping the seed in the fruit delays germination. if the fruit is picked while still firm and then placed in sphagnum moss, the seed won't germinate for at least a week or so. Those that germinate will be fine for about a week until they run out of nutrients and will die.

E.novo seed looks VERY much like Miracle fruit Synsepalum dulciferum, which may be a good thing to label them as wink.gif

yep wink.gif

this from a seed supplier:

The E. coca crop is in fruiting stage at this time of the year and will be harvested for its pods/seeds by end of this month. We can supply its pods if ordered, as its seeds are never extracted for raising its seedlings, because its seeds are grape like

with fluid endosperm. If extracted they will go dry and loose their viability within 2-3 days of their extraction.

replace 'pod' with 'fruit' and the above text is pretty much right. makes you wonder though who would know about fluid endosperm, but doesn't know the difference between fruit and pod?

Guest unified

Woohoo i just found about 4 acres of it growing locally !!!

unified : shhhh, its illegal in your state. If you say that too loud your gonna have black helicopters and police with flamethrowers round to burn it all away, and that means there won't be enough time for it to naturally spread beyond the NSW/Qld border, where it is legal wink.gif

-bumpy

Guest unified

Spewin anyway it turned out to be bullshit...

Guest Nozzle Boy

- and you just snorted half a nasal passage of sperm - he he, I've got no idea what you guys are talking aboot ...