The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
∂an

Ready to take cuttings?

I would like to take cuttings from this peruvianus and propagate them in their own pots. I was thinking of cutting the two smaller arms (upper right of the picture) as close as possible to the main 'trunk'. They are about 15cm long.

Does this sound like a good idea? Is this a good time of year to make cuttings? Any tips appreciated!

Cheers!

post-6519-0-78074000-1408255607_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-78074000-1408255607_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-78074000-1408255607_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Early spring is a good time for rooting but you can start at any time of the year- especially if you are concerned with that brown section - although it looks pretty healed up - but i would get those healthy cuttings off and start fresh. Be sure to let the cuttings heal in filtered sunlight - keep them upright for natural growth but keep the base off the ground! - I stand them up on wire mesh under 30% shade cloth for several weeks before putting them in DRY soil and then don't water them until it starts getting warm enough for some really good growth. They won't need any water while it's cool and it is OK to let them get a little thin while rooting, Let the soil dry completely between watering or they may rot. You can tell when they root because they swell up nicely!

Edited by AZS
  • Like 2

Thanks mate, that sounds like good advice especially regarding curing them before planting again. It's almost spring here now, so I will make the cuttings soon. I might take all three arms off and hope that base makes more pups.

of course they will grow when they want but I agree that time of year they are taken seems to affect how well they grow, especially if they

are treated with the best conditions possible... im still learning tho, got everything pupping this year, even right after potting when I didn't

have pups for a couple years almost lol

One thing I would advise is starting with larger cuttings ... and then you'll end up with alot more to propagate faster IME..

shorter thinner cuttings are slow the first year or more

Edited by Spine Collector