The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

crest turns column will revert back?

i recieved a crest, and after a while, it produce a column, which, i did cut off and grafted.

the q is, will this particular growth, ever revert back to a crest?

post-70-0-51143400-1407819820_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-16704300-1407819851_thumb.jpg

crest#1.JPG

crest#2.JPG

crest#1.JPG

crest#2.JPG

Hi Planthelper, i think i know this type. Can't say for sure but at some point, it will probably revert back to crested or monstrose growth. Especially at a larger size.

i recieved a crest, and after a while, it produce a column, which, i did cut off and grafted.

just a thought, had you left the column attached to the crest, could have resulted in a flower when it matured.

one of my crests regularly produces normal looking pups that soon turn into a full blown crest. The normal pups usually go crested by the time they are 20-25cm tall.

A lot of those sorts will go back and forth between crested and normal growth with normal looking growth eventually making nice crests. This has been true for crested myrts as well.

There are at least a handful of distinct lineages in horticulture at the moment so its worth keeping track of your plant's origin.

me also, grafted an areola (of the same crest cultivar) onto some pedro stock, but even, "now" some maybe 8 months later nothing has happened.

anyway, graft looks super healthy, so me guess patience is, again here the answer.

post-70-0-85306400-1408251539_thumb.jpg

crest#3.JPG

crest#3.JPG

so crested plants act very much like bridgessii

but more often then not they moph and stay crested?

I think its just gonna vary just like any other plant, where some are gonna have more cresting tendencies than others.. and perhaps other factors too might influence it but just speculating

so far in the nitrogen batches i've got a few grafted pups show normal growth and then go cresty while some others start off even more cresty than the mothers ... one particular Psycho x TPM seedling, when grafted some go straight crest and others go monstrose column, but i'll guess they'll all show both traits through their freaky lifetimes.. they're still sorta small... couple of the tpm x sso2/pach seem more likely to show regular growth... One TPC x Juuls grew sorta slow and seemed just regular for about a year and now going freaky top.. got some grafted of it too so im curious to see how they turn out

Edited by Spine Collector