The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Freewheelin

My psychotria germination setup

Apparently Psychotria Viridis is notoriously difficult to grow from seed, so I thought I would give myself the best chance from the seeds that I had, Not at all expert on this sort of thing so I decided to share my setup, and to pick some brains to see if I'm on the right track.

Psychotria has a long germiation period, so it's best to protect the seeds from moulds and fungus that might form. Some suggest that you soak the seeds in a dilute sollution of bleach for a few minutes, but I didn't do this because all I could find was toilet duck.

I made a terranium from 2 softdrink bottles cut in half, slits in the top half allow it to slip inside the bottom half so condensation that forms runs inside and isn't lost. This (i hope) makes it a set-and-forget environment where the moisture level of the soil remains somewhat constant, moist without being soggy.

Before i put the soil into the terranium, i sterilized it in the microwave - i filled a plastic chinese take-away container with soil and nuked it on high for 90 seconds. It was steaming for a while after so it should have gotten enough heat to kill anything in it.

I let it cool and then mixed in some slow release fertilizer because the microwave probably killed whatever nutrients were in the soil.

I put the soil into the terranium, put the seeds in and sprinked it with more soil, then watered it and sealed it up.

The terranium is has been inside a little hot-house for 3-4 weeks now, and so far there's no action but I wasn't expecting any yet.

Wish me luck

• Like 3