The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CLICKHEREx

Aus - First use of marijuana ends tragically as man, 20, killed by freight train

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/728282-Aus-First-use-of-marijuana-ends-tragically-as-man-20-killed-by-freight-train

#1 poledriver View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Jul 2005
Posts 8,259 Yesterday 15:06 Aus - First use of marijuana ends tragically as man, 20, killed by freight train

HE WAS a son and best mate but hours after his first encounter with drugs, 20-year-old Tom Bond was dead.

In every parent’s nightmare, the young man was hit and killed by a train after what is believed to have been a bad reaction to his first use of marijuana.

Friends said Tom, who was dedicated to his family and health, reacted badly and went into a panic attack before crossing the train line’s safety barrier at Bundamba, Ipswich, in the early hours of yesterday. He was hit by a freight train and killed instantly.

His Ipswich family has been left devastated, with father Andrew Bond last night saying they were grappling to cope with the terrible loss.

“He was really a big-hearted boy who made one silly mistake and paid the ultimate price for it,” he said.

“It’s wrong that he’s gone.”

The grieving father said he did not want any other family to experience their heartache, saying his son was a larrikin who loved a joke.

“He had just figured out he wanted to help people change their lives and get their fitness up,” he said. “He was my son but he was also my best friend.”

Tom studied at St Edmund’s College before getting a job as a membership consultant at Goodlife Gym. He moved to Adelaide briefly but moved back to Queensland to be with his family.

Mr Bond said he was extremely proud of his son, who had been planning to travel to Vanuatu for his 21st birthday this year.

Joel Carter was Tom’s best friend for almost 10 years and said his friend was someone who would do anything for anyone. He said he wanted others to learn from Tom’s death.

“Don’t fall into peer pressure, keep with your close mates who you trust,” he said. “Tom was a kind-hearted person who would do anything for anybody no matter the cost.”

He said he and friends Christopher Christensen and Jake Hodson all planned to stay by each other and travel while they were young and full of life. “We had so many plans ahead for what we were going to do, but he is gone too soon,” he said.

According to a National Drug Strategy Household Survey of Australians, 21 per cent of people aged between 14 and 19 have used cannabis and 46.9 per cent of 20-29-year-olds have used the drug.

While short-term effects include loss of inhibitions and loss of co-ordination, according to the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre marijuana can cause, in extreme cases, fear, anxiety, panic or paranoia, resulting in an aggressive outburst.

Police are continuing their investigations.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...a03cb2008796db

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 lcrlover View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Mar 2012
Posts 227 Yesterday 16:54 I know my Dad had a panic attack many years ago, while smoking weed. It turned him off weed and made it much harder on me to manage to use any.
Only the good, Right?

#3 my3rdeye View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Aug 2012
Location Planet Microdot
Posts 920 Yesterday 19:15 Drunk people do stupid things and die every day. There are probably 10 thousand dead drunk people for every dead stoned one. I know a drunk guy who died on a snowmobile, a drunk girl who died in a fire, and a drunk guy who flipped a truck and died. I don't know anyone who smoked a joint and died. The relative risk of pot is low versus alcohol.

poledriver View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Jul 2005
Posts 8,259 Today 05:10 Originally Posted by my3rdeye
Drunk people do stupid things and die every day. There are probably 10 thousand dead drunk people for every dead stoned one. I know a drunk guy who died on a snowmobile, a drunk girl who died in a fire, and a drunk guy who flipped a truck and died. I don't know anyone who smoked a joint and died. The relative risk of pot is low versus alcohol.
Exactly. And ironically in the first pic, they are drinking. You have to wonder if they were doing anything else besides just cannabis when the guy lost it.

Yes it's sad, but alot of sad stuff happens, and the paper is clutching at straws to make cannabis look bad it seems.

What a Bullshit story!! Why is Bullshit like this being posted on this forum?

• Like 3

Yeh im getting over these posts of bullshit articles which complete go against what we are hoping to put out on the forum.
Harm minimization is key not focusing on the harm that can RARELY be caused.

I think that's why it's been posted, as it's a bs story, and it highlights that media misinformation is rife...

• Like 1

20-year-old man commits suicide after smoking just one marijuana joint: POMMY DAILY MAIL BULLSHIT!

08-07-2014, 02:08

Rob Cypher
Titanium Member

Male from United States

20-year-old man commits suicide after smoking just one marijuana joint

In a tragic first encounter with drugs, a young man has been killed after he ran into the path of a moving train.

Tom Bond, from Ipswich in Queensland smoked marijuana in the early hours of Saturday morning, but is said to have had a severe reaction to the drug.

He ran onto the train tracks at Bumdamba station and was killed instantly, The Sunday Telegraph reported.

The young man's father Andrew told the publication he was left devastated over the tragic and unexpected loss of his 'best friend' and described his son as fun-loving and big-hearted. 'It's wrong that he's gone,' he said,

Tom completed his studies at St Edmund's College in Ipswich, and Andrew revealed Tom had only recently found his calling in life, helping others.

The 20-year-old was working at Goodlife Gym assiting people on their journey to achieve their fitness goals, and was in the midst of planning a trip to Vanuatu for his 21st birthday later in the year.

He also had plans to travel the world with three of his closest friends.

Tom's best mate Joel Carter also spoke to the newspaper, and he urged others to avoid peer pressure and stick with their closest friends and look out for each other.

Joel said he didn't want anyone else to find themselves in a similar situation and hoped people would learn from the death of his closest friend, who he had known for 10 years.

According to the Australian Drug Foundation, over 35 percent of Australians 14 years or older have used cannabis at least once in their life.

In a report from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of New South Wales it states that no deaths have been recorded as a direct result of cannabis consumption. 'However, there is growing evidence that cannabis use has the potential to have adverse physical, psychological and social outcomes,' the study noted.

Freya Noble
Daily Mail
July 6, 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz36poXK4cI

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is what was appeared in Australia's Courier Mail ( no mention of suicide, no suicide note, no statement suicidal of intent, no apparent clinical depression; I call BULLSHIT! ) and here is what was posted in the USA:

20-Year-Old Australian Man Gets Hit By A Train After Bad Reaction To His First Experience With Marijuana

wideawakeamerica.com/20-year-old-australian-man-gets-hit-by-a-train-a...:

#1 poledriver View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Jul 2005
Posts 8,259 Yesterday 15:06 Aus -

First use of marijuana ends tragically as man, 20, killed by freight train

HE WAS a son and best mate but hours after his first encounter with drugs, 20-year-old Tom Bond was dead.

In every parent’s nightmare, the young man was hit and killed by a train after what is believed to have been a bad reaction to his first use of marijuana.

Friends said Tom, who was dedicated to his family and health, reacted badly and went into a panic attack before crossing the train line’s safety barrier at Bundamba, Ipswich, in the early hours of yesterday. He was hit by a freight train and killed instantly.

His Ipswich family has been left devastated, with father Andrew Bond last night saying they were grappling to cope with the terrible loss.

“He was really a big-hearted boy who made one silly mistake and paid the ultimate price for it,” he said.

“It’s wrong that he’s gone.”

The grieving father said he did not want any other family to experience their heartache, saying his son was a larrikin who loved a joke.

“He had just figured out he wanted to help people change their lives and get their fitness up,” he said. “He was my son but he was also my best friend.”

Tom studied at St Edmund’s College before getting a job as a membership consultant at Goodlife Gym. He moved to Adelaide briefly but moved back to Queensland to be with his family.

Mr Bond said he was extremely proud of his son, who had been planning to travel to Vanuatu for his 21st birthday this year.

Joel Carter was Tom’s best friend for almost 10 years and said his friend was someone who would do anything for anyone. He said he wanted others to learn from Tom’s death.

“Don’t fall into peer pressure, keep with your close mates who you trust,” he said. “Tom was a kind-hearted person who would do anything for anybody no matter the cost.”

He said he and friends Christopher Christensen and Jake Hodson all planned to stay by each other and travel while they were young and full of life. “We had so many plans ahead for what we were going to do, but he is gone too soon,” he said.

According to a National Drug Strategy Household Survey of Australians, 21 per cent of people aged between 14 and 19 have used cannabis and 46.9 per cent of 20-29-year-olds have used the drug.

While short-term effects include loss of inhibitions and loss of co-ordination, according to the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre marijuana can cause, in extreme cases, fear, anxiety, panic or paranoia, resulting in an aggressive outburst.

Police are continuing their investigations.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...a03cb2008796db
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I strongly urge those of you who can, to go to:

drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248969 (I was banned, because they didn't like me copying their articles, despite always crediting them) and post that Courier Mail article there, with your own refutation of their unfounded allegations, and condemn that despicable rag for making up anti drug propaganda, and besmirching the good name of an unfortunate young Aussie man, who seems to have experienced a panic attack, as happens in a small proportion of users, causing an extreme "fight, or flight" panic reaction.

I also suggest that the Bond family take legal action against the Daily Mail, demanding a full retraction, a public apology, and seek punitive damages.

Edited by CLICKHEREx