The Corroboree
Torsten

How do you feel about advertising?

Advertising?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The problem with private areas is that they can get "ivory tower", but also very (or not so) subtly changes that aspect of sharing information, and for me that is what forums are about, is free and easy sharing of info. keep it "open source" lol

This /\/\/\. The altered dynamics would suck.

We've also had the occasional snark when one member or more decides there is already a private/ secret forum/ conspiracy here, and sometimes this gets around as gospel for a week or so until everyone is again reminded there isn't one

Can you imagine how much more convoluted it would get if there actually was a private area?

Plus there would probably be a lot of duplicated material, where topics would jump in and out of general view as people who had access to both areas contributed, then bought it out for open discussion while it continued in the member's area. Search engine nightmare

I'm a veteran lurker but feel very strongly about this community, so here goes. Warning....i will sound like an asshole, but the fecal matter comes from a good place :)

Its clear that the site is loved and from the response everyone just wants to protect it. That is a pretty strong feeling to have towards an online community. Has anyone thought about how they would define the site? What they love most about it? What creates the value in this community, is it the community itself? So does this mean a forum for like minded people is created by Torsten \o/, the forum fills with ideas and knowledge etc and all of a sudden we have an amazing place that others can then open the pages to and extract what they need. The value is created by the members itself? How would it be possible to reward the community that is generating the value while still drawing operating costs for the space? I only ask the question as I think it is relevant to how funds are drawn from it while protecting what is loved most.

Considering how driven, intelligent and imaginative forum members are, surely an option can be implemented that only makes the site stronger, as I only see advertising as a poke in the eye to the community generating the forums value..

So far its advertising and membership fees...is it possible to remove ads for logged in members and would this alone give enough cash flow?

Could a donation/goodwill system be put in place as a percentage amount of all sales?

From the current options I would opt for the lifetime fee, with a bumper sticker..

• Like 1

I guess this forum is probably different to most, as many of the members form relationships outside the site, i.e Garden meets, and catching up at EGA conferences, etc.

I guess this is why there has been a strong vote for direct support of the site through membership options. i guess my concerns are whether this forms a strong enough financial base. some factor to keep in mind: members come and go; and also while people may agree in principle, when it comes to actually paying, some people may have other concerns in their lives - many people on this site are students, or live alternative lifestyles (i'm only guessing, it would be interesting to see the data if any existed) . And i hate to say it, while there is huge value here, and those of us who know its value are happy to pay a membership, the vast majority would probably just be happy with what they get for free.

I guess then my question is, are there enough SAB junkies to help prop the site up through memberships alone.

I am ok with advertising in theory, but maybe try the donations first and see if people put the funds up. If not go with the Adds when the funds run out.

I'd rather contribute than deal with advertising... in fact I block advertising via hosts file so you wouldn't get a cent from my traffic.

That said if I was to pay money for server costs I'd expect SSL for the site. I know I brought it up before, and hell I even offered to set it up but you weren't interested because there wasn't a one click button to enable it site wide. Something to consider anyway if you end up implementing a donation based system.

Edit: On the SSL note - not only am I willing to set it up but I'd be willing to pay for your domain certificate out of my own pocket.

Edited by indigo264nm
  • Like 2

I will just add my 2c then.

I dislike ads immensely, be them radio, TV or internet. As such I listen to and watch very little commercial content and I use AD Block at home.

But as I do really love this site and intend to be part of it for a long time I would definitely pay the fee to support the site and ensure when logged in that I had no ads. I already give $5 to Wikipedia each month and I'd say I learn just as much and certainly look at this site more often that that, so I have little qualms about paying to help ensure it survives.

My only real reservation about the addition of ads is similar to what others have said about those ad services tracking users and farming their data. That kind of shit is absolutely not cool!

I make an annual donation (automatic paypal) of 25 bux for another site not because I'm on it alot but because I 100% support it for what it stands for & would have no problems whatsoever making a same annual donation to sab.

I despise ads and the associated data mining that goes along with them

Another thought as for generating revenue is an honor system in the For Sale forum

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showforum=37

You sell something, kick down 5-10% of the sale price to sab for hosting your sale.

can I get next year on tick?

• Like 4

For sure, whatever it takes, I've always felt it to be a little unfair that the cost to maintain the forum come directly out of your pockets.

I've always loved the idea of a key ring ! Maybe a membership fee could incorporate a key ring !

Have u thought about merch? U could possibly raise a few k from some interesting merch, I doubt a member here wouldn't buy a sab shirt/key ring u would even get some sales from non members especially on Facebook.

Either way I'm all for the cost of the forum not coming all out of ur pocket. Happy to donate an annual fee, advertising is no biggee in my books.

• Like 6

Maybe a membership fee could incorporate a key ring !

Have u thought about merch? U could possibly raise a few k from some interesting merch, I doubt a member here wouldn't buy a sab shirt/key ring u would even get some sales from non members especially on Facebook.

Either way I'm all for the cost of the forum not coming all out of ur pocket. Happy to donate an annual fee, advertising is no biggee in my books.

now thats a pretty good idea. i'd wear a SAB shirt.

• Like 3

I'd also like to say, FWIW, that I have no problem with whatever is decided. I'm happy to have the ads, and/or the exemption fees. One potential problem could be payment of said fees - I imagine that members concerned with privacy would want to avoid many online payment processors such as Paypal.

Anywho, just wanted to say that I'm all for any initiative that brings the cost burden down and ensures a stronger future for the forum. Like Darklight says, this place is freakin' amazing, and I think we're all a bit spoiled here as far as the value we get from being members.

Peace out

Gman

One potential problem could be payment of said fees - I imagine that members concerned with privacy would want to avoid many online payment processors such as Paypal.

Using bitcoin might relieve those concerns but would be a massive pain for Torsten.

Not to mention webtards like me

• Like 1

Updates Torsten ?

Wouldn't mind ads from members of this site, or related. If we start getting ads for BMW or Shell I'll probably get the hoof. I don't know, I run my system ad-free so I'm not sure that would work for me, not only do I hate ads in general I refuse to actually click on them if they do sneak through or I'm subject to them away from home. I think membership fees could be problematic, I'd consider it because I value the site so much but I'd be afraid it would deter people from signing up.

I think voluntary membership would work well here. As in, no one would be excluded if they don't pay. I like the idea of a keyring :) Or perhaps early/priority access to new plants as they become available from the store. That would be cool. Or a "free"plant sent to site sponsors, the value of which depends on the level of sponsorship. I.e. $20 = some seeds, $50 = a small viridis seedling, $100 = a caapi, $250 = a small loph. Or something like that.

• Like 1

I'm perfectly fine with advertising being added. I would personally prefer a sidebar or header than something that comes after the first post. That said, if paid exemptions are available, I would definitely pay, so the form of the advertising is a moot point for me.

I know it's been mentioned, but adblockers hurt the website that has advertising links, so I think it needs to be made clear that non-paying members need to whitelist SAB if they want to support the forums. I suspect that the ratio of members whitelisting SAB would be higher than just about any other website, provided that they are reminded to do it.

I think voluntary membership would work well here. As in, no one would be excluded if they don't pay. I like the idea of a keyring :) Or perhaps early/priority access to new plants as they become available from the store. That would be cool. Or a "free"plant sent to site sponsors, the value of which depends on the level of sponsorship. I.e. $20 = some seeds, $50 = a small viridis seedling, $100 = a caapi, $250 = a small loph. Or something like that.

I like these sort of incentives, but I think it would be best if it was something exclusive; something made that not necessarily of much value, but is only available as a reward to contributing members. e.g., branded SAB keyrings or bottle openers, or something more apt like engraved smoking pipes or snuff paraphenalia, glassware, gardening stuff, etc. as larger rewards.

• Like 1

I would be happy to pay for membership to this awesome community. And I would be more than happy to pay for a sab t shirt or keyring. Like others have said, the money to run this place shouldn't have to come from torstens pocket. Sab merchandise would be a good idea I think. Maybe you could get a small amount of stuff made and see how that goes?

• Like 1

No inline ads, everything else should be considered.

I would be keen on a T-shirt.

Not just SAB branded, but maybe some shirts with photos from W Gardens

So Torsten what's the verdict??

A method which has been successful for other people in this situation is merchandise. Obviously it could be paired with advertising but it is another option of revenue.

Jackets, Caps, T shirts, etc. Just put something unique to the community on them. They are a great gift. They are also unique to wear in the right circumstance. I also spend the extra cash because its like a donation but you get something clever for it.

A way to look at it is a clever token of appreciation for your support. This is an ongoing income also.

Im sure people would have some great ideas, artistic flair and clever comments/slogans to put forward.

Its not like mainstream marketing or anything like that. Im not sure if the guy is still here because I can't find it but he used to have a image of a sad looking cactus with its arms outstretched with "hugs" written above. Something like this or similar on a jacket, shirt beanie whatever. I think people would buy them.

Edit: sorry, this has been mentioned already.... Carry on :)

Edited by rigger

Another idea,

How about giving the shop more presence on here T? I know maybe it's not your style but it's for a good cause.

Even little things like every Friday creating a special. It doesn't need to be that great even, sometimes people need to have something flashed in front of them to give them the idea.

I know it sounds stupid but for example you can buy nangs online. I know this but I always get caught without thinking "I wish I remembered to order some of those for tonight." If for example it was flashed in my face rather than me have to search for it I would just buy it there and then. Otherwise I think "I can get them anytime" and that time never comes....probably a good thing in this case :)

For me and im sure others on here I would rather pay a bit more to someone I knew or did something I supported than just a nobody on ebay.

Maybe it sounds a bit tacky but little things add up. Last year I reduce the price of a service by only $2, promoted it heavily (for free in my own business) and it worked really well. Considering I had to hold the stock anyway It helped with profit and loss through spoilage etc.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

SAB hoodie!!

• Like 2

I'd pay 50buks for a pair of Sab boxers