The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Latua pubiflora - "Tree of Wizards"/"Socerers Tree"

@ Dox

3 metres plus

cold/humid

not so far for me :D

check the links above that WB posted , thrs more here in this thread than i can find alone rinsing google

I have room for 3 meters plus =) just no room indoors for Voacanga sadness =(

• Like 1

yep, trying to compile a bit as I find it....got a bit of time on my hands at the moment so I'll be adding more as I come across it.

Information is a bit scant out there..... and some I am thinking is just shit really....

Big shrub , slow growing at first, indoors who knows...lol...not ideal I am thinking.

• Like 1

Thanks for the awesome thread!

, and if you got the time and enjoy it too , its a win/win scenario :)

i wonder if it could be a cold zone bathroom - vigorous bonsai?

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

Gold.... its not a perfect pdf compiled...but its all I can do for the moment without my regular tech...

raw images will take to much real estate...plus I fell asleep...lol

Its dirty, but its kinda readable....I dont have acess to it ...so here is a workaround.

I'll come back to it with a decent conversion down the track....

LATUA PUBIFLORA MAGIC PLANT FROM SOUTHERN CHILE

Timothy Plowman, Lars Olof Gyllenhaal and Jan Erik Lindgren

Botanical Museum Leaflets, Harvard University
Vol. 23, No. 2 (November 12, 1971), pp. 61-92

Full image convert.compressed.pdf

post-8169-0-56409500-1405124173_thumb.jp

7.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 2

Seed germination for Solanaceae: cold stratify seeds for 2 months or use GA3 for germination in 3-4 weeks, seeds that are 1yr old+ seem to germinate more easily.

found this at kykeon plants and they have latua on the list http://kykeonplants.blogspot.co.uk/p/page-2-solanaceae.html

mind you, they did add this x]

sun to part shade, well drained rich soil, a stunning rarity is new to cultivation. As yet I haven't had much luck in growing this plant and don't know if I will ever be able to offer the plant for sale.

• Like 1

well man i had to cheat lol

i still cant raise seeds so far it looks but a lovely nursery over here seems able for quite some time judging by these 2 beauties, both in fruit already ... looking fwd to some winter flowers and I'm told they'll take -10°C

2016-06-16 14.33.14.jpg2016-06-16 14.33.46.jpg2016-06-16 14.34.07.jpg

**smoken of a one tiny leaf already 'introduced' and definitely of great power,

2016-06-16 14.33.14.jpg

2016-06-16 14.33.46.jpg

2016-06-16 14.34.07.jpg

2016-06-16 14.33.14.jpg

2016-06-16 14.33.46.jpg

2016-06-16 14.34.07.jpg

• Like 3

lol:lol: I didnt get any joy from my original seeds as well horsey, and became a project on the backburner.

I cant seem to find any old notes I may have taken, that said I may not have taken any:slap:

Thats not cheating:wink: Cant wait to see your flowers.

Do you reckon those plants are cuttings or from seed mate?

Must be time to do a bit more google fu on this plant again.

• Like 1

I can't tell if they're cuttings ya know but assumed they were seedlings .. ,

however , I took a cutting and plonked it in the aeroponic pod to see if it works : 3

they like a westerly facing wall for shelter apparently ... but can be standalone shrubs too , according to the nursery

i decided to plant one out in the ground as perimeter "hedging" buried in mulch ,...and "bonsai pot" the other.

They are a very heavy feeder if in pots I gather ... so I bunged in about a quarter kilo of osmacote 14 month.

2016-06-18_18.29.40.jpg

2016-06-18_18.29.40.jpg

2016-06-18_18.29.40.jpg

• Like 1

tryna air layer one...:2017-03-05 12.06.57.jpg

the other is in the ground with a view to being part of the hedge but it's dark atm so will have to photograph it soon

all the berries dropped off (one was slug munched in half first ..and no flowering happened over winter...

I buried the dropped fruits just in case the seed would have chance to mature away from the mouths of garden gits

2017-03-05 12.06.57.jpg

2017-03-05 12.06.57.jpg

• Like 1

I've realy got to source some more seed, I really, really want one of these.

This plant really calls out to me.

Love ya work there Horsey:wink:

• Like 1

Wow, beautiful plant. I still have some (old) seed, will try again now after seeing those pics!

• Like 1

On 23/03/2019 at 5:44 AM, ph7 said:

Wow, beautiful plant. I still have some (old) seed, will try again now after seeing those pics!

I had to cheat and buy plants but as far as I recall I did get one seed germinated after trying unheated propogation (I think the heat cooks them a little if on)

either way , ya know it makes sense to try..

hopefully will be able to make some seed one day 

I tried cold strat and a few other things but no luck.

Yeah I bet you will have better luck from your own seed.

It's good to get an affinity or bond with a plant, it makes growing them easier I think!

I love the Solanaceae's so Latua will be well worth the effort.

• Like 2

Out of 15-20 seeds, only one germinated. Bit of a slow grower but seems to be healthy.

I’m hoping all the other seed wake up at some point but I won’t hold my breath. No treatment was used on seeds which may have hindered the germ rate. 
It is situated on the east side of my house under an eve where it receives 5hrs of filtered morning sun. 

Sown: 22nd September

Sprouted: 28th September 

38C5BCF8-DA39-48F1-A1F7-FFB4684FDE57.thumb.jpeg.5cae880a3dff5bb53ea727f1268753cb.jpeg

This last photo was taken moments ago. 
379FDA48-FC76-49F6-B88D-2708B47CA06E.thumb.jpeg.66e6cfa00c19e4c5fd7aeaf8d815ea61.jpeg

Hey @waterboy 2.0 have you had another crack yet?

Anybody else had luck raising this plant to maturity?
I would love to see some pics of someone’s seed grown ‘Palo De Bruja’. :)

38C5BCF8-DA39-48F1-A1F7-FFB4684FDE57.thumb.jpeg.5cae880a3dff5bb53ea727f1268753cb.jpeg

379FDA48-FC76-49F6-B88D-2708B47CA06E.thumb.jpeg.66e6cfa00c19e4c5fd7aeaf8d815ea61.jpeg

Edited by Enjaytee
  • Like 2

Nah mate, 

Life and its joys... Lol..And I have too much shit going on which have had me on the back burner with this species. 

I did search about for other seed sources, but the choice was not huge at the time. 

Edit- I'm pretty sure once someone cranks out a plant to maturity Clone production will get them out and across Aus 

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

Soooo I’m pretty bummed out saying this, it turns out my “latua Publiflora” is not at all what it should be. It seems a stray seed had made it into my seedling tray. Should have figured as much being that it was the only seed to sprout. Fucking gutted. :(

Moving on... I think I’ll give up on that batch of seed as the person I received them from said they’d not had any germinate either. Found more L.pubiflora seed on eBay last night and have ordered  some more. Hope to have better luck this time.  Ive stopped buying seed internationally coz I’m sick of customs snatching up my shit but I want this plant desperately so I’m taking the chance. 

here’s the link for the seed. For anyone interested. 
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F274023804078

That sucks man. I believe this plant may be geo locked to its location/altitude and would be difficult if not impossible to grow from seed outside of its native homeland. Another theory is the soil needs to be inoculated with another plant species similar to how acacias work. 

Has as anyone ever grown this plant from seed in Australia? Or anywhere else in the world. And if so any tricks or tips that you’d like to share.

I agree. Once someone gets this going it would be a lovely plant to own and care for. Mysteriously beautiful and a lot of legends behind it that are closely guarded. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your condolences @Infinity
I’ve been through a range of emotions since the disappointing discovery. I will try a bunch of different methods with my next batch of seeds. Determined to make this plant my bitch. I may even inoculate with shaman semen just to deepen the connection between man and plant and thus lock her down well and truly... maybe. 

Anyway I’m not giving up on this plant. Let’s hope my seeds make it through customs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Infinity said:

That sucks man. I believe this plant may be geo locked to its location/altitude and would be difficult if not impossible to grow from seed outside of its native homeland. Another theory is the soil needs to be inoculated with another plant species similar to how acacias work. 

Has as anyone ever grown this plant from seed in Australia? Or anywhere else in the world. And if so any tricks or tips that you’d like to share.

I agree. Once someone gets this going it would be a lovely plant to own and care for. Mysteriously beautiful and a lot of legends behind it that are closely guarded. 

I'm almost certain I've read of SAB mob in Tassie growing it... Hey @Enjaytee, if i was going to get seed, i'd be getting it from here... http://www.chileflora.com/Florachilena/PHP4181/drawitem.php?G_FG=0759&G_LANG=E&G_NF=Solanaceae

There's also a few other epic plants from Chile that would be well worth growing if you've got the conditions... especially, Berberis microphylla (Calafate) and it would be pretty cool to have a Jubaea chilensis (Cocito) palm going... 

I should be over there around xmas, if I get down to Osorno I'll try to source some seed for the SAB gang...

• Like 3