The Corroboree
mushfun

Mulberry Cuttings

Wondering if anyone has some mulberry cuttings they would like to sell. I would like to get as many different varieties as I can.

I have found the white mulberry bland, definitely not as good as the red/black.. Having said that i ripped our trees out and am unable to help at present..

• Like 1

I'm also pretty interested in getting some red/black mulberry cuttings :)

Ah ok in_spirit, I've have never eaten the white. I think the white are what get used for silk worm culture too.

I have found the white mulberry bland, definitely not as good as the red/black.. Having said that i ripped our trees out and am unable to help at present..

misconception....the white needs to be netted with a fine mesh like wind sheet, to allow them to fully ripen to black and drop...collecting in the sheet......eaten fresh the flavour I find is more intense than the black...allowed to dry and they are even more intense still, dried they are a major export for some Persian country's (never been able to grow any from cuttings)

• Like 2

Now I really want a white mulberry, had one years ago but lost it due to neglect before it fruited.

well pm if we are in the same land I can send some cuttings, but as I say they do not strike willingly.......there's heaps of cultivators now..bunnings has a good selection at times............but I'd be reluctant to send cuttings abroad........

Edited by Dreamwalker

Yeah - the white i had was bland they never ripened to red black, but did turn pinkish got soft and drop, they were ok just not my preference, my daughter loved them??? So i guess its all in the perception???

Edit to add - this comment isn't to say you are wrong at all, just that my experience differs to yours no offence meant.

Edited by in_spirit
  • Like 1

Never, the white is like juicy little bundles of flavored sugary goodness, they lack the sharp note many of the black mulberries have.

They aren't meant to go black, they just get a bit of a pinky/purple flush just as they are 100% ripe, just suck the fruit off the central core YUMO!!!

And the white one is the one used in TCM.

And yes i have the black & the white. My indian mulberry & native mulberries are still a tad small to be taking cuts from just yet but the other two are in need of a prune about now.

Edited by shortly
  • Like 2

misconception....the white needs to be netted with a fine mesh like wind sheet, to allow them to fully ripen to black and drop...collecting in the sheet......eaten fresh the flavour I find is more intense than the black...allowed to dry and they are even more intense still, dried they are a major export for some Persian country's (never been able to grow any from cuttings)

Oh wow, never heard of that

I think it depends on the cultivar of white mulberry. Mine is dry and bland as well, but I have heard people rave about the white mulberries they have eaten. They couldn't have been raving about the ones from my tree, even though it is 20 years old and well established, it still sucks

As someone with an established garden, I wish I'd written down to cultivar names of my fruit trees. Some of them are awesome. 90% of them suck, including staples like olive where the retailer should have definitely known there were issues. I need to replace about 80% of my fruit trees. I purchased from a reputable local nursery to avoid bringing in diseased plants and paid a fair whack under the impression I was purchasing reliable stock. At least I didn't bring in diseased stock, but that's all I can say

Logging cultivar names would be valuable advice to share down the track. I am pretty certain some major nurseries cash in on the early adopters of new fruit species by selling the first available cultivar with no regard as to performance. They either don't know about the performance, or don't care, or both. If it's a new or experimental species or variety consumers need to be aware that performance can be variable at the time of purchase

• Like 2

Oh wow, never heard of that

I think it depends on the cultivar of white mulberry. Mine is dry and bland as well, but I have heard people rave about the white mulberries they have eaten. They couldn't have been raving about the ones from my tree, even though it is 20 years old and well established, it still sucks

My white mulberry would be of similar age, I planted it years ago from an end of season sale, also got a medlar.......along with others...............I was really disappointed when they both fruited, the white mulberry was insipid, and gods knows what a medlar was, yuk........but the pigs enjoyed the medlars. Then while netting a pear tree to prevent the black birds from messing them, I had a bit of plastic wind sheet to spare, so I wrapped it around a mulberry branch and forgot about it, When I finally check it out most of the fruit lay collected in the net, dry winds had dried them.............total bliss!, a few were still ripening,black and juicy, I wish I had wrapped the whole tree. It is the 1st tree I wrap now (black birds steal them before they ripen). They have a long season and every day its a treat to visit the tree (they never see the table) I have permanent black lips and hands (like a goth) for months (long fruiting season)

The medlars need to rot after the 1st frost, also bliss, like cinnamon apple sauce.

I'm doing another massive planting at the moment, all kinds of nut trees and fruit trees I have never tried, and only recently discovered. Most of my time is spent on soil prep. burying logs and dead animals, charcoal and/or pine needle mulch, depending on the pH the plant likes, raising all the beds to prevent wet feet and drip feeds so they don't dry out....planting in long sheltered lines..,training along wires, so I can easily net them, otherwise birds take 90%.

I think preparation is really important, I will see the same tree thriving in a neighbours garden but struggling in mine and visa visa.

I grew lots of cherry plums from seed, they fruit first, but if I didn't net them, the birds would have the lot and the few I'd get, would taste insipid, netting allows the fruit to totally ripen, so you get to enjoy them when they are really sweet. That's 1 of many of the problems with store fruit, often hard and tasteless...picked prematurly.

Edited by Dreamwalker

^ lol...those medlars are an acquired taste

I found the only way to get the couple of black mulberries going I have from a couple of nice source trees was to aerial layer them, just couldn't get semi-hardwood and hardwood to strike.

I've found blacks that range from easy to eat to those that sour they make you pull the lemon face.

Edited by waterboy

i think thats called overripe.. ...... its a true hybrid ...................... u never eat berries when they drop............................ any fruit that drops will be more intense than the 1s on the bush................ its because they r over ripe and the suger content is way strong....................

Edited by bullit

where are u at? come hack at my tree if u want :)

where are u at? come hack at my tree if u want :)

I'm in Tas. Goodude, I'll send you a PM

Never, the white is like juicy little bundles of flavored sugary goodness, they lack the sharp note many of the black mulberries have.

They aren't meant to go black, they just get a bit of a pinky/purple flush just as they are 100% ripe, just suck the fruit off the central core YUMO!!!

And the white one is the one used in TCM.

And yes i have the black & the white. My indian mulberry & native mulberries are still a tad small to be taking cuts from just yet but the other two are in need of a prune about now.

Hello shortly, if you are up for taking some cuts I'd like to buy some, i'll send you a PM too.

I remember a giant mulberry growing in a paddock where I grew up in SA, big long sprawling branches you could sit and eat until you full, great thing.

Have 3 mulberries, all +20 years, one is prolly +30. Two black, one white

Oldest black one is the best. And not just because it's the oldest. It's the best cultivar, I'm sure of it. It hung on by a narrow thread after being cut back to ground level about 20 years ago, now it's almost completely back after no attention at all

The other two are meh. One black meh and one white meh. Fruit is dry and tiny. Wish I'd kept CV names, I could tell you what not to plant

Mmmmmmm. Mulberries :) I think it's important to note that the variety being referred to as Persian, 'shahtoot' Morus macroura differs from standard white mulberry - Morus alba. Which one do you guys grow?

I wish we had an established shahtoot here, fond childhood memories in that tasty tree :)

Mmmmmmm. Mulberries :) I think it's important to note that the variety being referred to as Persian, 'shahtoot' Morus macroura differs from standard white mulberry - Morus alba. Which one do you guys grow?

I wish we had an established shahtoot here, fond childhood memories in that tasty tree :)

Morus macroura they have long sausage like fruit? So mine I guess (and always assumed) is Morus alba, The imported mulberry dried fruits I enjoyed in the Uk, came in big boxes, were small & round, totally superior to raisins. I'm not sure what country...somewhere around Turkey to Iran. Most of the hybrids I see in bunnings have fruit shape similar to Morus macroura or intermediates in between, none of mine have fruited yet...............hopefully this season, fast growers....Its a huge family, even a few tropical's I think, really grows naturally all over the world.....I grew heaps of the red american variety from seed (easy), no idea what they taste like, grow as big as oak, I'm tempted to try and graft my Morus alba on to a few of them, as it would be nice to grow a hedge of the whites.Also tried growing a black Russian variety, but they failed to germinate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_trees

list doz's of species

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the info people, another world opens up, again :)

I'm soooo behind on trades it's shameful, but wanted to say I have m alba seed if anyone wants to put their hand up for the long way around :)

That said I've never managed to germinate one up here, I don't think I'm getting the cold stratification right. Throughout my childhood we had a red bush in the yard so I know it can take the heat... Oh well I'll get there.

Forget how many seeds I have, but PM me if interested and I'll spread them around.

• Like 1